The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the short scale slope shoulder def has a different vibe than a full scale square shoulder dread. And Sitka will be a little warmer than Adi, although still not as much as the Cedar top.

Good luck with your decision. Bear Davis' post above mine seems extremely helpful and first-hand (and even includes a photo). It doesn't get much better than that!
Old 12-01-2019, 12:18 AM

There is an MD60EBG b-stock on Reverb for $360 in mint condition. That is a screaming deal - I own 2 b-stock MD60BGs and love them. Ridiculous price for a great guitar.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-01-2019, 06:03 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I just ordered a new Alvarez MD60BG off reverb for $509.99 with free shipping, no tax, hard shell case, and 14 day return policy.

Can't go wrong with that!!
Old 12-02-2019, 09:49 PM

I'm interested to hear your impressions after receiving the guitar.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
I'm interested to hear your impressions after receiving the guitar.
I'll be happy to reply back to this thread when received. Scheduled delivery is Thursday.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
There is an MD60EBG b-stock on Reverb for $360 in mint condition. That is a screaming deal - I own 2 b-stock MD60BGs and love them. Ridiculous price for a great guitar.
Thanks for pointing this out and it looks like a good deal for someone. I decided to go with a new BG because I would have pulled the under saddle bridge out anyway which may have placed the action too low.

True or imaginary, everytime I removed an under saddle pick up the tone improved for the better.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
Thanks to all who responded. I just ordered a new Alvarez MD60BG off reverb for $509.99 with free shipping, no tax, hard shell case, and 14 day return policy.

Can't go wrong with that!!
Who did you order from, if you don't mind me asking ?

( @ )===:::
Old 12-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Don't mind at all. Barnett Music Exchange
Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Be sure to post your review of the guitar after you receive it and have played it. My MD60EBG is my favorite guitar I own.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Be sure to post your review of the guitar after you receive it and have played it. My MD60EBG is my favorite guitar I own.
Absolutely!!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Update::

I received the Alvarez MD60EB yesterday and it sounds every bit as good as I hoped from all the reviews and online videos I have watched. Amazing deep bass, even, loud, incredible bell like highs. If you are considering this beast you can't go wrong.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
Update::

I received the Alvarez MD60EB yesterday and it sounds every bit as good as I hoped from all the reviews and online videos I have watched. Amazing deep bass, even, loud, incredible bell like highs. If you are considering this beast you can't go wrong.
Excellent! Play it in good health.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
I have the E1D and also have the MD60BG, here is what I can say..

- Both are amazing bangs for the buck and punch way above their weight tonally.

- The E1D is a tad more woody sounding and the MD60BG has a tad more clarity.

- Fit and finish on both guitars is what I would expect at these price points.

- Dynamic range puts the Alvarez out in front by quite a bit... If I ignore tone and compare just raw volume, the Alvarez can hang with just about any dread I have.

- Balance goes to the E1D. Each string is in the ballpark of the next while the Alvarez has more low end presence.

- Aesthetically the Alvarez is a bit flashier looking guitar but I think some would easily prefer the more traditional look of the Eastman.

I played an E2D recently and it sounded great but I would not want to draw any conclusions without having it in my acoustic room.

On a side note I played 7 different E1D's before I bought this one. It really stood out. I played 1 other Alvarez and while both were close, this one had a little extra going on. Both guitars went through an extensive setup after purchase. Each was playable out of the box but needed serious attention. This is par for the course in this price range IMO.

I know this is hard to say, but do you like your E1D or MD60BG better? Or, if you had to save one from a fire, which one would you grab and why?
Old 09-08-2020, 04:23 AM

Default I think I am the odd one out on this.

I am afraid that I can't seem to hear what others hear in the Eastman 1 series. I first played an E1D in a shop having looked for one to try for months. I liked it and it felt brilliant and played very well too. I bought it and I was really pleased. But after a few hours play, I noticed that the sound went rather thin and and toppy with zero overtones. I presumed that the string might have already been a bit old and I started to experiment with lots of different kinds. but i always found that I kind of liked the sound with BRAND new strings on but the wound string soon sounded thin and dull.

I eventually sold the guitar.

I am a fan of cedar and later I bought an E2D. I quite liked the sound but I found it to be a useless tool for what I needed. I play in a little four piece acoustic band and I just couldn't hear it at all. I knew within 3 minutes of the first rehearsal that it wasn't going to work out. The shop kindly swapped it for another E1D and I hoped it would be different from the first - that I had just got a slightly off one. But the same thing happened. It just didn't work for me tonally.

I now have a Blueridge BR40A dread and a Breedlove Retro dread and they both work much better for me in the band situation with lots more low end and substance to the sound.

I barely hear a bad word about the Eastman 1 series and so I do accept that I am an exception on this. But, though the guitars were beautiful and perfect in terms of fit and finish, I just couldn't love them tonally. I have ad the same experience with an E6D and an E10D that I tried in shops. Just me I guess,

Anyway, I quite like the Alvarez cedar topped dreads and their Bluegrass models sound nice too. I think Dowina and Furch make some wonderful and relatively affordable cedar-topped dreads too.

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
I am afraid that I can't seem to hear what others hear in the Eastman 1 series. I first played an E1D in a shop having looked for one to try for months. I liked it and it felt brilliant and played very well too. I bought it and I was really pleased. But after a few hours play, I noticed that the sound went rather thin and and toppy with zero overtones. I presumed that the string might have already been a bit old and I started to experiment with lots of different kinds. but i always found that I kind of liked the sound with BRAND new strings on but the wound string soon sounded thin and dull.

I eventually sold the guitar.

I am a fan of cedar and later I bought an E2D. I quite liked the sound but I found it to be a useless tool for what I needed. I play in a little four piece acoustic band and I just couldn't hear it at all. I knew within 3 minutes of the first rehearsal that it wasn't going to work out. The shop kindly swapped it for another E1D and I hoped it would be different from the first - that I had just got a slightly off one. But the same thing happened. It just didn't work for me tonally.

I now have a Blueridge BR40A dread and a Breedlove Retro dread and they both work much better for me in the band situation with lots more low end and substance to the sound.

I barely hear a bad word about the Eastman 1 series and so I do accept that I am an exception on this. But, though the guitars were beautiful and perfect in terms of fit and finish, I just couldn't love them tonally. I have ad the same experience with an E6D and an E10D that I tried in shops. Just me I guess,

Anyway, I quite like the Alvarez cedar topped dreads and their Bluegrass models sound nice too. I think Dowina and Furch make some wonderful and relatively affordable cedar-topped dreads too.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback, this helps. At this point, I'm just going to have to buy sight unseen because most shops in my area are sold out on all three models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion