The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Default Anyone love their guitar more over time?

I read a lot about liking a guitar from the start, moving on, or trading if it isn’t great.

Anyone find that after a period of years their appreciation for a particular guitar increases?

Could be the Adirondack top opening, even though it was VTS heat treated, but for whatever reason, possibly familiarity, practice, strength, skill — something, I’m liking my OM Authentic more than ever about two and a half years in.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:06 PM

My Martin Custom D is a dozen years old now, and every year it seems to get a little better. Even though I no longer really need a dread, it's such a fine instrument I can't imagine every passing it along. And I've recently switched to light Retros that enhance the tone all the more.

I even like the way it's showing its age. The only thing I regret is that it no longer has that great smell that it had for the first seven or eight years. A shame that can't be refurbished.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 PM

I find the more time you spend with people, guitars, Scotch..... the more you appreciate them. Otherwise, you wouldn't waste the time.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Yes, my J45 is killer and getting more killer.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I find the more time you spend with people, guitars, Scotch..... the more you appreciate them. Otherwise, you wouldn't waste the time.
Indeed....
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 10-10-2019, 06:33 PM

I was on the fence with my 00015sm for a week or two. Now I can't wait to hop out of bed and play it first thing in the morning. It's my comfort food guitar.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I love my two main guitars but as time goes on, I think why I love them more is because I keep improving as a player and I can bring more of what the guitars are capable of out.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I love my two main guitars but as time goes on, I think why I love them more is because I keep improving as a player and I can bring more of what the guitars are capable of out.

Best,
Jayne

I’m finding the same with my two Martins.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:01 PM
Guest 33123

I rotate through my 5 weekly, playing a different guitar every day. Each day without fail I think "What a great sounding guitar. It doesn't get any better than this." Then tomorrow comes. They started out great and have just gotten better over the years. Even the new one sounds better to me only one month in.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I know that I love my 2 very different 6 string guitars more, now that I understand their individual strengths, and weaknesses. (I strongly contemplated selling both of them a few years back). Each one excels in its intended purpose with its design and its type of woods.. and bracing.. used.
The same is true with my 2- 12 string guitars. Though they both are Jumbo body guitars... they each have their own voice and strengths, as well as weaknesses. I now choose which to play based on what quality that I want to stand out in particular songs that I really like... and want others to hear in that song. This has taken me a while to develop the wisdom and ear to make use of these traits. I could not enjoy these traits when I owned only 1 guitar of each type (6 and 12 string). As a result of buying a 2nd guitar of each style... I love them more since I can definitely notice their individual sonic personality, and since I now know which would be good to use to bring out the tone I want to hear on certain songs.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)

Last edited by jemartin; 10-10-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 PM

My Taylor 814ceDLX is one of those that is getting better and better. It was made in June of 2017 and I got it in August of that year. It was one of the few guitars I bought new as a first owner and the only acoustic I've ever purchased without playing first. At first I was a bit disappointed as it didn't sound as I expected. But it wasn't that far off that I wanted to sent it back.

This guitar has been through a ton of string testing. At first I didn't like Elixirs on it at all. But it's spent some time with a Tonerite which helped some. But the major change came when I ditched the Micarta saddle for an unbleached bone saddle (I did try a bleached one as well, but liked the unbleached better). Over time it seemed to get better and now, just past the 2 year mark it's sounding great with Elixir strings. The one last thing I've done is gone to a 12-56 gauge Elixir and it's now got a quality that I hadn't heard before. Curiously, while I would typically change strings every three weeks, even Elixirs, I've got a set on now for 6 weeks and they giving me any clue that they are going to be done soon. This is quite unexpected.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I love them more today then yesterday...but not as much as tomorrow ...
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-10-2019, 08:27 PM

It is perfectly normal to do this - and also the opposite, to like one less over time. People's wants and needs change - and guitars change too. I've done both.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 10-11-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:49 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post

Best,
Jayne
Yep...exactly how I feel about my D-41.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 PM

After 24 years together, my 1995 Taylor 510 is my sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion