The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Time To Bring Carbon-fiber Guitars Into "General Acoustic Guitar Discussion" Forum?

Why Not? Carbon guitars, and their carbon-composite variations, although having tonal and construction attributes different than wooden-based guitars, are relegated to their own "Carbon Fiber" subforum. In my experience, carbon guitars can hold their own tonally to wooden guitars and offer something of a different spice to acoustic-guitar performance. Perhaps, carbon guitars should now be included in the main "General Acoustic Guitar Discussion" forum? How else can all players gain a relative comparison of carbon to wood unless both construction methods are placed in close proximity with each other? Having a closer discussion of both methods of construction may just breakdown the barriers many players now feel? Does anyone else think the same way I do?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Is discussion of carbon fiber guitars forbidden in the general forum? I never had that impression. I feel like people mention carbon fiber guitars pretty frequently here.

On the other hand, carbon fiber still feels pretty niche to me -- I've never seen a CF guitar in any guitar shop I've ever visited. Perhaps a separate subforum is a useful resource to ensure that people who want information on CF guitars have a place full of knowledgeable folks.

Doesn't really make a difference to me. I'm happy to read about carbon fiber guitars anywhere people want to post about them.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Fine with me as long as '12-string guitars' can take their place.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I'm partial to carbon fiber having it's own forum. I've been spending time there of late, and really enjoy the conversation and expertise of fellow carbonites. Since the General Acoustic Guitar Discussion gets a lot of activity, threads tend to drop out of sight pretty quickly unless they garner multiple responses. I really don't think of the Carbon Fiber subform as an indication of a second class status...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-06-2019, 04:38 PM

I certainly have no objections to including carbon fiber guitars in the general discussion. They used to be, but when some new subforums like Other Stringed Instruments were created, the carbon fiber subforum was created, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-06-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

I'd say keep them separate.

If people can't discuss Richlite as a viable material for fretboards and bridges in a sensible manner, I dread to think of the turmoil that might ensue by introducing other non-wood materials into the mix.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-06-2019, 04:52 PM

I like being able to go into the room and head direct to the source. Kinda like knowing where your conventional fruits and veggies are and where the organic section is. I too find it kinda flattering that CF gets enough attention deserving a special corner

is a lighthearted and fun place to visit anyway. If I could request one thing it would be to change the name from "Carbon Fiber" to "Composites".
Old 10-06-2019, 06:57 PM

Keep them separate.

There are enough discussions in the General forum already without adding Carbon Fiber, Archtop, and Classical guitars.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Keep them separate.

There are enough discussions in the General forum already without adding Carbon Fiber, Archtop, and Classical guitars.
You might be on to something there, does anyone make a Carbon Fibre Archtop Classical guitar?

... and yes, that's how we spell fibre here.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Am I the only one generally unaware of the sub-forums? I tend to log on and go to "new posts", which brings in topics from all of the forums and I basically never think about what forum a thread is from unless I'm actually creating a thread (which I don't do that often) and then I try to put it in the right place. Or I do a general search of the whole site... I don't really get why sub-forums even really matter unless we just want a way to organize stuff.

I learned about carbon fiber on the Acoustic Guitar Forum - didn't even know they existed before about a year and a few months ago. Now I've owned three, one is a lifetime keeper, and I just think of it as an awesome guitar I don't have to think about stuff like humidity and temperature with... Didn't know there was a carbon fiber sub-forum until I was getting ready to buy one and I think I may have started a thread or two with some questions...

-Ray
Old 10-06-2019, 07:11 PM

Default CF Sub Forum

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

CF guitars are unique animals and have their own quirks and characteristics. The times that I've needed info on CF guitars it was very handy to be able to go to the CF section and read through the threads there.

They would get lost on the regular General Discussion section.

Just my less than humble opinion.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 10-06-2019, 07:17 PM

On the other hand, carbon fiber still feels pretty niche to me -- I've never seen a CF guitar in any guitar shop I've ever visited.

I played some Rainsong guitars in a local shop 20 years ago and was impressed. But like many small stores they only have Yamaha now. None of the Big Three either.
I was impressed with what I heard and played , and still would like to have one.
We did buy a Martin “x” model for my daughter that is HPL even on the soundboard. Would that Fit under Composites?
I have
A shopping day planned in two weeks and hope to run into some carbon fiber again
Whvick
Old 10-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Keep ‘em separate - most archtop, electric, and HPL guitars have more in common with wood acoustics than carbon fiber -
Old 10-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

The Carbon Fiber subforum will remain as it is.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Carbon fiber? Next thing you will know plywood guitars will find their way in the general forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion