The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I love my 000-15SM, and you'll love yours--especially as it breaks in. The 15s have a beautiful unique sound you can't get from any other Martin (except maybe the uber expensive 00-17 Authentic, also epic). And the 000-15SM is the jewel of the lineup. They really are just sweet sweet sounding. And Vintage Instruments is AWESOME. Love that place. Killer vintage guitars, and best price anywhere on a new Martin. Congrats!
Old 09-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Bought one several months ago. Put a K&K Mini in it, using 80/20 strings (which sound different than Monels..a little beefier maybe?) and replaced the shiny stock tuners with white buttons with a set of vintage relic nickel tuners with cream buttons from Stewmac. They seem to turn a bit easier but they look soooo much better.

It’s a neat little guitar. Great for sitting around, compact, light and I’ve gigged it with great happiness. Also, the flat finish seems much more durable than the standard gloss. I can bang this guy into things-like my desk when I’m writing-and there’s no dings. Not saying it’s bullet proof but I don’t sweat the knocks on this one like I do with other glossy guitars.

I have another slot head so the string changes are routine.

I just sold my CEO-7 which never sounded quite right to me. This is a very solid alternative at a much better price.

FYI-I’m a strummer and a fingerpicker.
I'm a strummer and a fingerpicker too, although I've been strumming for 40+ years and only fingerpicking for about one year. But I'm making enough progress I'll probably stay with it. And all I really care to play is blues based stuff, so this guitar is kind of perfect for that. Really mellow when you play it easy and just enough bark when you dig in. I'm pretty much loving it. It'll take a while to sort out whether there's a hierarchy between this and my Emerald going forward - I'm still in too much of a honeymoon phase to be able to tell. Good problems to have!

-Ray
Old 09-27-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
...A fairly common instrument around here, nothing special, but very special to me...
Special to me as well, just not fancy.

And...yes, it's addictive.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:45 AM

This will likely be my next guitar purchase, after I reduce the herd a bit. I have a 000-15m now and I love it. But I briefly had a 000-15s (older version of the SM) for a while and it had a unique feel and sound. I ended up trading it for my J-35 which has become my #1 so I'm not sad. But I do miss that 12-fret mahogany "thing."

Play it in good health.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:57 AM

Congratulations, Ray. I am really glad you are happy with it.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 09-27-2019, 12:54 PM

That’s a nice story of how you came back to a traditional wood guitar after owning an Emerald CF. Taking care of 1 wood guitar should be quite manageable. Now you have the best of both worlds.

Congrats! That’s an awesome guitar!

IMHO, no “true blue” guitarist can live too long on just CF guitars alone, without at least 1 or 2 wood guitars!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 09-27-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjguitar View Post
Interesting you chose it over the 000-18, that was my 2nd choice as well.
I went through the same dilemma, spending hours comparing the guitars at Dusty Strings to decide which one to take home. Loved them both, but there's something about an all-mahogany guitar that soothes the soul.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
That’s a nice story of how you came back to a traditional wood guitar after owning an Emerald CF. Taking care of 1 wood guitar should be quite manageable. Now you have the best of both worlds.

Congrats! That’s an awesome guitar!

IMHO, no “true blue” guitarist can live too long on just CF guitars alone, without at least 1 or 2 wood guitars!
Well, I always had a strat and a tele, those are mostly wood... I honestly think if I'd had a full scale X20 or X30 and really liked it, I might have been fine with just that. In terms of sound and playability, the little X7 may be the nicest guitar I've ever had other than my long-time D28. But I wanted something with a longer scale, didn't love the X20 when I had one, THINK I would love the sound of the X30 but can't imagine dealing with such a large guitar, and basically the 000-15SM was about half the price or less (depending on options on an Emerald) and this just kind of made more sense than another CF...

And, yeah, best of both worlds...

-Ray
Old 09-27-2019, 02:08 PM

Default yup

Ray, you've entered "Hog Heaven"...
Old 09-27-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Ray! Gotta love an all mahogany Martin! I had a D-15 for quite a while. Blues seem to come so naturally from all mahogany guitars. Enjoy!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 09-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I know everyone’s ears are different, but mine LOVE Martin monel/retro strings on this guitar. The “LJs Choice” light gauge w medium gauge low e and high b and e strings are my favorite on the 000-15sm. I’ll be curious what strings you end up liking on it. Try the retros, and see what you think.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I know everyone’s ears are different, but mine LOVE Martin monel/retro strings on this guitar. The “LJs Choice” light gauge w medium gauge low e and high b and e strings are my favorite on the 000-15sm. I’ll be curious what strings you end up liking on it. Try the retros, and see what you think.
From the first post - kind of buried, so I'm not surprised you missed it. I tend to write more than most folks want to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
The guitar came with Martin PB strings on it and another set in the case. I tried it with those, tried monels, then the second set of PB, and now I'm back to monels, which are staying on this guitar. Both sounded good, but the Monels seem to be my string of choice on various guitars these days. I have Sunbeams on my Emerald, but I've loved Monels on it also.
I'm all over the Monels. I've used the LJ set on my 24" Emerald. Pretty happy with the 12-54 light set on the 15SM. Plus, my understanding is Martin doesn't recommend using anything heavier than Lights on these 000-15 guitars, probably the 00 as well. Not sure about the D-15.

-Ray
Old 09-27-2019, 04:26 PM

I've liked every single small-bodied 15 series guitar I've ever picked up. There is something so immediate, warm, and intimate about the tone. One of my 'forever guitars' is my 000-15 custom. There is something about the homely, modest, deep brown hogs that suits my artistic temperament, I guess. Perhaps the best of the species I ever picked up was a 000-15s at Gryphon in Palo Alto, perhaps ten years ago. I just couldn't put it down, but also didn't have the $800 or whatever they were back then.

At any rate, I think that between your Emerald (btw - I also have an X7 - from way back in 2010) and this Martin, you're going to be very happy. Until you decide you NEEEEEEEDDDD a 12-string...
Old 09-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Nice one Ray, congratulations.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Ray! Those 000s are really great sounding guitars. I often wonder why I never brought one home because I just love the heck out of them when I play them in the store.

Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion