The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevesbilly View Post
Thanks for everyone's input on this. This is a really great site and clearly I have much to learn. I also have a little money, so I have already purchased a 1974 D-50 from a reputable dealer online. I know this one is real, I checked the serial Number this time. I'm betting it sounds better than my first ever fake guitar...
Congratulations on the new/old D-50! Since you're new to buying, I strongly suggest finding a reputable guitar tech in your area to check it out and make sure it doesn't have any issues that can't be fixed. I love Guilds, but one issue I've seen a lot with older ones is that they tend to belly up near the bridge, requiring the saddle to be brought down to almost nothing in order to get decent action. With enough bellying, eventually you'll need to either shave down the bridge or get a neck reset.

The D-50 is a great guitar, but it's always a good idea to have someone experienced, give it a good going over while you're still in a return period. Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion