The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Well, I used the belt sander for a "rasp break" for my hands! Any pressure on the belt and it slows down or quits. I did some shaping pretty easily with a 1.5" 80 grit belt, turned inside out and I was the "oscillating" motor. I am enjoying the hand shaping but by #3 or #4 I think I will be over it and ready to use a belt sander (that works).
The neck has really taken shape. Later today I will sand out slight humps and dips.
I am thinking I may bolt down the fretboard to the soundboard ala Bourgeois and Mayes style, instead of gluing. Not sure yet.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 AM

LOL - I'm almost sorry I talked you into doing a maple neck! It's gonna look great though.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
LOL - I'm almost sorry I talked you into doing a maple neck! It's gonna look great though.
It's cool. The Martin Spanish Cedar dings if you look at it. This stuff shrugs off a rasp! BTW I wanted maple, but did not want to buy it. Then I found this 3 piece hunk in the scrap pile. Inspired by availability!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Well, I used the belt sander for a "rasp break" for my hands! Any pressure on the belt and it slows down or quits. I did some shaping pretty easily with a 1.5" 80 grit belt, turned inside out and I was the "oscillating" motor. I am enjoying the hand shaping but by #3 or #4 I think I will be over it and ready to use a belt sander (that works).
The neck has really taken shape. Later today I will sand out slight humps and dips.
I am thinking I may bolt down the fretboard to the soundboard ala Bourgeois and Mayes style, instead of gluing. Not sure yet.
I had zero luck with a rasp on my ABW neck. Chisel was a no go either. The only way I could get progress was disc sander (dust everywhere), and an oscillating spindle sander (the life saver). I was able to get the heel shaped and the headstock transition to the neck done.

For the neck itself, I almost destroyed a spokeshave but was able to get it close. And to level out dips, I had self-adhesive 80 grit sand paper and taped it to a flat 3" x 18" x 1" board. I then used it as a flat file to round out the neck properly in a figure 8 motion. I saw Somogyi do something similar in a video and thought it a good idea. It worked like a charm. I then smoothed it out with progressively finer sand paper just wrapped around the neck going along the grain.

By the way, I'd go with maple any day of the week over ABW. Man, that is one dense wood! Working the binding on my guitar, which was maple, was an absolute pleasure compared to working with ABW, lol!
Ibanez ATK700-BM

ZT Acoustic Amplifier

Psalms 108:1-3
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwguitars View Post
I had zero luck with a rasp on my ABW neck. Chisel was a no go either. The only way I could get progress was disc sander (dust everywhere), and an oscillating spindle sander (the life saver). I was able to get the heel shaped and the headstock transition to the neck done.

For the neck itself, I almost destroyed a spokeshave but was able to get it close. And to level out dips, I had self-adhesive 80 grit sand paper and taped it to a flat 3" x 18" x 1" board. I then used it as a flat file to round out the neck properly in a figure 8 motion. I saw Somogyi do something similar in a video and thought it a good idea. It worked like a charm. I then smoothed it out with progressively finer sand paper just wrapped around the neck going along the grain.

By the way, I'd go with maple any day of the week over ABW. Man, that is one dense wood! Working the binding on my guitar, which was maple, was an absolute pleasure compared to working with ABW, lol!
I am going out looking at sanders today. A oscillating spindle sander is at the top of my list! Speaking of sanders, Last night Neil came by. I felt bad. After an hour of us screwing with the Jet thickness sander sand paper we gave up. I know its the technique, not the sander but what a bugger to get right!
The main rasp I used had belonged to my Dad. Never saw my Dad do a lick of wood work, but its cool it was his. For Sanding blocks I use some old Preschool Maple Community Toy Building blocks I scored at a Flea Market. Dead flat and pretty much bullet proof.
So I am on day 3 shaping the neck. Yesterday I had to put a pillow at my lower back so I could drive. This morning I was on Kevin Ryans site. He has a custom router bit for shaping the heal and another jig for evening it out. Looks like he does in 2 minutes what will take me another 10 hours lol.
Wouldn't ABW be a really heavy neck?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Are you looking at the table-type oscillating spindle sander? You know I have need for that. One thing that might suit it a reconditioned Ryobi Routing Table (it's a pretty small table though) at that reconditioned tool outlet down there at the Tangers Outlets. That particular model was $70. I was looking at just the 1.5hp router for $40 but for another $30 why not go with the table too? IIRC it shouldn't be too much of a problem hooking up a spindle to a router right?

As for the thickness sander, all in due time. I know it's got you frustrated and I don't want you to feel rushed. There are more important things to worry about.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Neil, don't stay away from the work bench too long. If John gets a strange call, he will know it is the bench because it is missing you.

Benches become personal friends of luthiers. It will hear more insider secrets when you wood workers talk out loud.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default The birth of a neck

Protecting the top

She is taking shape! Ow! My back!

Rasp when sand paper doesn't cut it.

Here is the mostly complete Bridge pinhole and saddle jig (pin hole adapt not pictured)
Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I am going out looking at sanders today. A oscillating spindle sander is at the top of my list! Speaking of sanders, Last night Neil came by. I felt bad. After an hour of us screwing with the Jet thickness sander sand paper we gave up. I know its the technique, not the sander but what a bugger to get right!
The main rasp I used had belonged to my Dad. Never saw my Dad do a lick of wood work, but its cool it was his. For Sanding blocks I use some old Preschool Maple Community Toy Building blocks I scored at a Flea Market. Dead flat and pretty much bullet proof.
So I am on day 3 shaping the neck. Yesterday I had to put a pillow at my lower back so I could drive. This morning I was on Kevin Ryans site. He has a custom router bit for shaping the heal and another jig for evening it out. Looks like he does in 2 minutes what will take me another 10 hours lol.
Wouldn't ABW be a really heavy neck?
Yeah, the ABW was heavy for the neck but it was offset by the heavy body. So overall it's a very heavy guitar. However, dreads for me have always been body heavy/neck light. So the little added weight in the neck actually makes it feel balanced for me.

Seriously, get a spokeshave, even a cheap one will do. The only thing you'll be frustrated about is why you didn't have one or spend $15-20 on one for the first 15 hours, lol!
Ibanez ATK700-BM

ZT Acoustic Amplifier

Psalms 108:1-3
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

CW I will put it at the top of my list!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 PM

very cool thread! I applaud the effort!
Love the rosette....
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

HI Guys!
A lot has happened fast. 1) my Photography Biz is in full swing! The summer was fatal for biz. So, the build will slow down. Tonight, I am hoping to get the nuts in the neck for the MT
2) I got my first commission to build a guitar!
#2 complicated things for me
I wanted from the start to sell my creations. Probably not this fast. But, tools don't fall from trees! I was very straight forward with the buyer of #3 that I still have much to learn. He wanted #1 "the Fish" bad! He played her no less than 3 hours. A big Allman Brothers fan. Sweet Melissa sounded very sweet on the Fish.
Wow the guy could play. My bracing and light guitar took and held to quite a "beating". He plays loud and sings loud. I told him a family trip to Disney would be the only way my wife would let her go.
He said; too steep! So, he commissioned #3. He wants her backward and everything!

The commission changed my dynamic though. In the technical sense I am now a "Pro" NO. I don't think I am up to par with the big boys. But! I do work to be better every day.
To journal #3 here and stay on the up and up I had to go "Sponsor" I have also been advised to change my name to my fledgling guitar company.
So.......
Yamaha Junkie will soon become;
Kitchen Guitars
Sponsor
formally known as Yamaha Junkie

I also snagged Kitchenguitars.com When I know what I am doing with it I will let you know!
Mean while enjoy watching me try to keep my fingers!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
HI Guys!
A lot has happened fast.

....stuff deleted....

So.......
Yamaha Junkie will soon become;
Kitchen Guitars
Sponsor
formally known as Yamaha Junkie
Congrats! Glad things are going so well for you. But don't it seem to rain all at once? :-)
Looking forward to seeing pix of your first commissioned build!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadwm View Post
Congrats! Glad things are going so well for you. But don't it seem to rain all at once? :-)
Looking forward to seeing pix of your first commissioned build!
Thanks! And welcome to the forum! Do you build? Wanna build? New guy give some intro
Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, John... I had to look.

This is what I found. Cigar box guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KitchenGuitars

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair