The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I don't think anyone thinks a few grams of plastic on a guitar designed to last 50+ years is as big an environmental problem as a plastic item designed to be thrown away almost immediately. Sadly, there are plenty of loathsome substances that are unavoidable in daily life. At this point, life as a member of modern society without encountering plastic in this country is essentially impossible--especially now that microplastics are in our drinking water. Again, not a guitar problem, but a problem nonetheless.
I try to approach my use of natural resources pragmatically. Avoiding plastics on a guitar is nothing more than a token gesture and doesn't contribute in any substantial way to reduction in plastic consumption. I do, however, recycle as much plastic as I can (all the plastic our local recycler will take) and try to avoid it as much as possible by making use of reusable containers, among other things.

The use of wood in place of plastic is not necessarily the lesser evil.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:11 PM

I realize this thread has gone a bit sideways but here’s a few facts about plastic:
  • The Great Pacific Gyre is 2.5X larger than the state of Texas.
  • There are now identified gyres in all of Earth’s oceans.
  • Nearly 100% of all plastic ever produced is still in existence.
  • By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
We should all be concerned and it starts by being smart about what you use and how you recycle. we live in the modern world...kinda’ hard to go off the grid but everybody in their own way can make a difference.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:14 PM

I don't hate it. I replaced the bone saddle on one of my guitars with a plastic one and it now sounds better. I also like richlite for how stiff it feels. I do have solid wood guitars, but am not against synthetic materials.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Avoiding plastics on a guitar is nothing more than a token gesture and doesn't contribute in any substantial way to reduction in plastic consumption.
Symbolic gestures can have power. But I would not call resistance to plastic on guitars "token." For me, it's an aesthetic. Two of my guitars have plastic bindings, and two don't. I consider the two without plastic bindings to have greater aesthetic appeal than the two that do. They actually look better. Similarly, all four of those guitars have ebony bridge pins. For me, that's an aesthetic plus.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:22 PM

I've got nothing against plastic. I have an Ovation guitar, and an old aluminum neck Kramer that has an "Ebanol" fingerboard. Also have other guitars with plastic (of one variety or another) saddles, nuts, and bridge pins. Even my Taylor 814ce DLX has a Micarta saddle. I'm for using various materials where they make sense.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:34 PM

While plastic as a material undoubtedly has its advantages in some applications, it is absolutely awful in most respects. Worst of all: It never truly disappears from the face of the planet; it simply breaks down into smaller and smaller entities that pollute everything. It's made from non-renewable fossil fuels, its production is fraught with hazards to human health and the environment, and when it breaks, it is difficult, if not impossible, to repair.

So, in my opinion, we don't hate plastic nearly enough.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I like the way it looks. And feels, the smoothness and shine, luminescent like a dream vision. If you hate plastics you ultimately hate humanity because we are the ones who make it manifest in the world. Hate antibiotics hate buildings, roads, all the creations of man, good and bad are sides of the same coin we flip everytime we rise in the morning. No point in judging the output if you can’t control the input.
I do hate this last Apple iphone update! What a piece of $&(?!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
For many of us, "plastic" equates with "cheap". There are times and places where it can be best.. or satisfactory, just as there are times and places where it is a poor choice, justified only by saving money
As a design engineer for almost 50 years, I have noticed over the years that a lot of customers, other engineers, even one of my brothers (who made his living working for a plastics, chemical company) really dislike plastic. As noted above, people think of it as cheap.

But sometimes plastic can be the very best material. I worked on a military project early in my career where a lens was exposed to very high accelerations. A glass lens repeatedly shattered when exposed to the high accelerations yet a plastic lens actually could take the shock. I have designed nozzles exposed to super abrasives. Depending on the abrasives, sometimes polyurethane lasted much longer than glass-coated hard iron. Sometimes the right plastic is the best pump lining for abrasive wear. Sometimes a pump made entirely of plastic is the right choice depending on what is being pumped.

Sometimes plastic is just cheap. Sometimes it's exactly the right material, and it may not be cheap at all.

- Glenn
Old 10-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Symbolic gestures can have power.
This is a great point.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 PM

The more plastic it is the less wood it is. I like my guitars all wood except of course the tuners but thats not plastic.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 PM

Plastic is a useless term by itself, like "metal" or "wood."

What KIND of plastic is a different story.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Plastic is not wood and bone and one of the things I like about a guitar is that it is made of those organic and natural resources.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Default No Issues With Ivoroid

I know some disagree but I have no issue with grained Ivoroid and even prefer it for some applications. It is a vintage material with a long history in guitars, present on many coveted pre-war boxes, and as such, has stood the test of time and performance. I think it has an aesthetic appeal in the right application (the grained ivoroid pins and tuner buttons on my Bourgeois are beautiful - I think). With that said I can understand others disdain for "plastic" on an upscale, fine instrument...too each his own.

PS: One instance, however which turns me off in a big way is the use of bright white plastic/boltaron binding. Aesthetically I think it's a real clash with the organic nature & look of body and top woods.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:09 AM

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

Mr. McGuire: There’s a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion