The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-23-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Default I shelved (retired) my classical

There it sits, unplayed for over a month now while I return to the comfort of steel strings.

I'm glad I have my Cordoba for those times I'll want a very mellow, soft cedary tone, but it just wasn't working out technique wise.

After being told things similar to "it doesn't sound as good without nails" and "I could hear the flesh" to several of my recordings I decided to take the hint.

Maybe when I retire I can set aside a bit of time each day to classical but for now its collecting dust.

Anyone else go through this?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-23-2020, 10:36 AM

It's a shame. I listened to your recording of that Stephen Wake tune. It sounded pretty good to me. You should keep it up. I recently purchased a used Godin Multiac Grand Concert Duet Ambiance (say that 10 times really fast). I have been using the delrin fingerpicks. What are they called? Fred Kelly Freedom Picks. They really sound good with the nylon strings. No nails to fuss with. You might want to try them out. Just a thought.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Musical minimalist

I'm pretty much addicted to the sound and feel......don't expect the Solista will ever get much rest!

Old 06-23-2020, 12:23 PM

Some things sound better on nylon
Some on steel
Don’t throw out the classical yet
Old 06-23-2020, 12:34 PM

Good decision. I did that many years ago and have never regretted it
Old 06-23-2020, 02:05 PM

I'd encourage you to start a thread "What's the attraction to classicals?"

Kinda funny that this thread got moved over to the classical subforum, where the nylon wolves prowl and the steel cowboys are few.

I like the classical, I don't have great nails or the desire to be super careful with them, and that is a source of frustration.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
There it sits, unplayed for over a month now while I return to the comfort of steel strings.

I'm glad I have my Cordoba for those times I'll want a very mellow, soft cedary tone, but it just wasn't working out technique wise.

After being told things similar to "it doesn't sound as good without nails" and "I could hear the flesh" to several of my recordings I decided to take the hint.

Maybe when I retire I can set aside a bit of time each day to classical but for now its collecting dust.

Anyone else go through this?
Don't let the naysayers get to you. I'm sure lots of renowned players were told similar things about their playing on the way up. It comes down to your motivation for playing. If you are playing for your enjoyment, it matters not what others say or think. I am missing half of my index finger on my right hand and if I had listened to the people who said I couldn't play I would have missed out on one of the most pleasurable activities of human existence IMO.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 06-23-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

You don’t need fingernails.

Fingernails / finger picks are totally OPTIONAL.

Earl Klugh and Joe Pass and Tommy Emmanuel have GREAT tone with just the flesh of their fingers.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:56 PM

I cut my nails short and don't play with nails. I doubt that Fernando Sor or Gaspar Sans played with nails either.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

My nylon (Cordoba Fusion 12) and my Taylor 562 12-string get "in-the-mood" playing time only.

McIlory A30c 1st, Gibson AG parlor 2nd, Taylor 12 fret GC mahogony 3rd, Martin 00-18 4th.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:57 PM

TBplayer: Your nylon-string playing sounds good to me, based on the things
you've posted (I was the one who said I could "hear the flesh", BTW ).
Sometimes setting it aside for awhile freshens things up, though..

Hope you get back at it, when the mood strikes.

CW
Old 06-25-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
TBplayer: (I was the one who said I could "hear the flesh", BTW ).

CW
Thanks CW.

You weren't the only one,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Don't be too hard on yourself, Barry. You are a fine player. It's hard to switch between classical and steel string. Maybe you just need a break from the classical to get re-energized.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 06-26-2020, 09:11 AM

I had 'mastering the classical and learning to sight read' as a post-retirement pursuit. Sight reading went well and I became reasonably proficient in less than a year. Bought myself a lovely 2007 Marin and took some lessons for the first time ever. Joined a local ensemble and really enjoyed the practices and performing fundraisers locally.

But even though I have been playing since 16 I could not master the instrument. Left hand technique no problem. My thumb wondered why it was no longer allowed to join in but otherwise it did good things for my left hand positioning. The problem was right hand technique. There's an essential need to get the attack between nail and string just right and I could never get the volume or the beautiful sounds within my instrument expressed. My Marin is much cleverer than I am!

I think I came to it too late and in the end I lost confidence. Also I found the classical posture (footstool, lower bout between legs) was giving me a lot of aches and pains. I was working really hard at it for about 5 years but I think you need to find your classical technique when you're a bit younger. So it was with some relief that I cut my nails and went back to my first love. I had stopped enjoying playing and it had become a bit of a battle if I'm honest. For me the beautiful sounds of an acoustic are easier to make than the beautiful sounds of a classical!

Still keeping my Marin and Ramirez 125anos student instrument though. Both lovely.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone, maybe later on down the road I'll dust it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rance View Post
I had 'mastering the classical and learning to sight read' as a post-retirement pursuit. Sight reading went well and I became reasonably proficient in less than a year. Bought myself a lovely 2007 Marin and took some lessons for the first time ever. Joined a local ensemble and really enjoyed the practices and performing fundraisers locally.

But even though I have been playing since 16 I could not master the instrument. Left hand technique no problem. My thumb wondered why it was no longer allowed to join in but otherwise it did good things for my left hand positioning. The problem was right hand technique. There's an essential need to get the attack between nail and string just right and I could never get the volume or the beautiful sounds within my instrument expressed. My Marin is much cleverer than I am!

I think I came to it too late and in the end I lost confidence. Also I found the classical posture (footstool, lower bout between legs) was giving me a lot of aches and pains. I was working really hard at it for about 5 years but I think you need to find your classical technique when you're a bit younger. So it was with some relief that I cut my nails and went back to my first love. I had stopped enjoying playing and it had become a bit of a battle if I'm honest. For me the beautiful sounds of an acoustic are easier to make than the beautiful sounds of a classical!

Still keeping my Marin and Ramirez 125anos student instrument though. Both lovely.
I had fashioned suction cups to hold a strap. The finish on my Cordoba isn't sensitive to the cups and I play seated so when the cups pop off, the guitar just slips onto my lap.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical