The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-27-2019, 10:33 PM

Default Yamaha Srt2

I've been considering an A5R or A5m for a while because I love the idea of the Srt2 mic modeling. As a preface I have a S&P woodland pro and a Cordoba Acero D9-ce. Both of which I love unplugged but sound completely underwhelming when I run them straight to a board. So long story short and I'm rather
emabarassed to admit that I'm just now considering this. Am I better off to just buy a good acoustic preamp and effects pedal or is the Srt2 as amazing as I've convinced myself? I've been considering a baggs venue or a boss ve-8. I really do love the sounds I get from the Cordoba and Simon and Patrick. But I'd love to have an onoard preamp that negates the need for gratuitous pedals
Old 12-28-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernslope View Post
I've been considering an A5R or A5m for a while because I love the idea of the Srt2 mic modeling. As a preface I have a S&P woodland pro and a Cordoba Acero D9-ce. Both of which I love unplugged but sound completely underwhelming when I run them straight to a board. So long story short and I'm rather
emabarassed to admit that I'm just now considering this. Am I better off to just buy a good acoustic preamp and effects pedal or is the Srt2 as amazing as I've convinced myself? I've been considering a baggs venue or a boss ve-8. I really do love the sounds I get from the Cordoba and Simon and Patrick. But I'd love to have an onoard preamp that negates the need for gratuitous pedals
My advice is to wait for NAMM. It’s two weeks away.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:58 AM

Two of your statements are very telling to me. First is you love the “idea” of mic modeling, I am assuming you have not played these Yamaha instruments yet. I have fallen victim to loving the idea of something only to waste money on an untried item that didn’t live up to the hype

Second statement is you really do “love the sound” you get from your Simon and Patrick and Córdoba unplugged. If you spend most of your time playing unplugged this is huge.

I think you know what I am going to say.......get whatever preamp/pedal you need to give you a pleasing tone when plugged in. There are lots of choice but having some modeling capabilities along with reverb, chorus, delay etc like the new Zoom A1 four can make a big difference.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-28-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:02 AM

SRT2 sounds pretty good plugged direct into a PA system. I preferred the greater control over the settings with SRT1, but STR2 sounds as good. That said, I had owned an A5R at one point and it sounded really good plugged in and sounded amazing unplugged. For the money I had in it, I wish it sounded different plugged in. That, and I needed some quick cash, so I regrettably sold it at a very good price to the buyer.

To answer your question: you will not HAVE to get a fancy preamp, but if you want to have the option to further shape your tone and dial in more of this or less of that, then get the preamp. The SRT1 had a 3 band eq, the SRT2 on has high and low eq.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Two of your statements are very telling to me. First is you love the “idea” of mic modeling, I am assuming you have not played these Yamaha instruments yet. I have fallen victim to loving the idea of something only to waste money on an untried item that didn’t live up to the hype

Second statement is you really do “love the sound” you get from your Simon and Patrick and Córdoba unplugged. If you spend most of your time playing unplugged this is huge.

I think you know what I am going to say.......get whatever preamp/pedal you need to give you a pleasing tone when plugged in. There are lots of choice but having some modeling capabilities along with reverb, chorus, delay etc like the new Zoom A1 four can make a big difference.
Astute observations. I play 50/50 plugged vs unplugged. I'm just not a gearhead anymore and the minimalist approach of a good onboard preamp is appealing. Tired of fighting the mix all time with sound guys. And hate spending time hunched over an effects station.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
SRT2 sounds pretty good plugged direct into a PA system. I preferred the greater control over the settings with SRT1, but STR2 sounds as good. That said, I had owned an A5R at one point and it sounded really good plugged in and sounded amazing unplugged. For the money I had in it, I wish it sounded different plugged in. That, and I needed some quick cash, so I regrettably sold it at a very good price to the buyer.

To answer your question: you will not HAVE to get a fancy preamp, but if you want to have the option to further shape your tone and dial in more of this or less of that, then get the preamp. The SRT1 had a 3 band eq, the SRT2 on has high and low eq.
So am I wrong that the second gen a series sound better unplugged or is the bracing the same? Because I prefer the srt1 as well
Old 12-28-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
So am I wrong that the second gen a series sound better unplugged or is the bracing the same? Because I prefer the srt1 as well
I think they did change the bracing. Also, the gen2 A3 models and A5 models have Tusq nut and saddles where the gen 1 had urea (plastic). If you can find a used A3R or A3M, I'd go for one of those. I've seen them (used) go for $450-$650.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:08 PM

The SRT2 sounds very good and doesn’t need anything else with it. However much I like using it, it doesn’t blow me away so don’t expect it to be the holy grail of plugged in tones.

I would also wait until NAMM. Yamaha released a 3 source pickup with their red label guitars and it will be worth seeing if they come with anything else and also what the other manufacturers come out with.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 12-28-2019, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the excellent responses guys. I'm not in a super hurry to buy anything at this point. Just obviously the thing that k&k has done so well all these years is reproduce the actual tone of the guitar. And that triple source pick up on the red label is something I'd forgotten about. So I'm going to head down and try out the boss ve-8 and the TC player acoustic and that new red label at my local dealer next weekend.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the excellent responses guys. I'm not in a super hurry to buy anything at this point. Just obviously the thing that k&k has done so well all these years is reproduce the actual tone of the guitar. And that triple source pick up on the red label is something I'd forgotten about. So I'm going to head down and try out the boss ve-8 and the TC player acoustic and that new red label at my local dealer next weekend.
Good call on trying out the Red Label, I have played both body sizes, acoustically only and have been very impressed.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Good call on trying out the Red Label, I have played both body sizes, acoustically only and have been very impressed.
I know it's a tribute to the original but I really wish they would offer some tonewood flexibility.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:55 PM

Picked up a A3M mostly due to its great electronics system. I just wanted a guitar that wouldn’t break the bank and didn’t need a ton of help to get a good plugged in sound.

I don’t hear a lot of difference between mic 1 and 2. 1 sounds a little brighter to me. How much mic blend are you guys liking? I feel like anything over 50% doesn’t sound great.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:03 PM

When I had my A5R, I recall running between 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock for the mic blend. The A series are such great sounding guitars. Ideally, bumping up the midrange will give you a great tone. Try the bass at about 1 or 2 o'clock and the treble back at 11 o'clock or a bit less. See how that works for you.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:31 AM

How can you bump up midrange? There is no mid EQ knob. You mean with an
EQ pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
When I had my A5R, I recall running between 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock for the mic blend. The A series are such great sounding guitars. Ideally, bumping up the midrange will give you a great tone. Try the bass at about 1 or 2 o'clock and the treble back at 11 o'clock or a bit less. See how that works for you.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
How can you bump up midrange? There is no mid EQ knob. You mean with an
EQ pedal?
More bass and less treble will boost the mids based on my research.

My new AC3M Deluxe sounds good with the bass dial at 1 o'clock, treble at 11. Mic 1 is more focused, mic 2 sounds farther away. Blend around 50%

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 09-25-2020 at 08:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification