The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

I agree it is sometimes overrated but I do think it matters a fair amount of the time. We read from time to time re some instances where an AGF'er will report a guitar "coming back to life" with different strings. And I think the experience is real for those who hear it, but I don't expect to ever personally experience turning a "meh" guitar into a "wow" guitar with diff strings. However -like others have said- I do think there are noticeable differences in tone (and certainly differences in other factors like playability/feel, durability, etc.) from one brand/type to another. I believe round cores feel softer and do increase sustain (and perhaps some related natural reverb) to my ears. I have learned that I favor Phos Bronze over 80/20, but that most quality PB strings are going to give me similar results. I like some, but not all nickel strings. Of course not all "nickel/monel" strings are even close to being the same material; some only nickel plated and some solid, others use different nickel alloys, etc.

With more alloys, round cores, balanced tension, parabolic, etc., IMHO there's more technical reasons than ever for us to hear real differences from one string type to another. Still a good question, good discussion.

Last edited by gmel555; 09-27-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

I have always thought differences in string brands regarding tone is typically way over stated. I do however have certain
preferences in string gauges and prefer strings that last a long time.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-27-2020, 11:52 PM

In my experience strings do more to change the tonal character of a guitar aside from the guitar itself. I also disagree that all strings regardless of manufacturer are essentially the same. An apples-to-apples comparison of phosphor bronze strings are going to give me different results on the same guitar; some are brighter, some louder, some are darker, have a favorable feel, or have more or less sustain, etc. And it isn't just alloy, it's gauge too. You have to find out what works for all your personal variables; what style, nails, fingerpicks, thumpicks, flesh only, top woods, b/s woods, body sizes, the signature flavor of the builder, etc.

I have had guitars that sound good with nearly anything I put on it, while others I've needed to hunt down the best pairing and stick with it. I had a guitar once that was the pickiest ever when it came to strings- Martin Retros were by far better than anything else I tried and I spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the best by recording them and writing down my thoughts so I wouldn't forget what I thought of them. Then again, good chance it just wasn't a great sounding guitar too.

In my opinion strings make a significant difference, especially on carbon fiber.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:01 AM

Strings are extremely important IMO. Difference in tone yes, but even more in feel.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 09-28-2020, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

“All generalizations are false, including this one”
- Mark Twain
Old 09-28-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
After 10 years of playing and trying dozens and dozens of strings, I’m starting to think it rarely matters. Just about any string can make a guitar sound good. It’s more about the guitar. I think the issue is weeding out the occasional string that sounds bad, not finding the one that sounds the best.
“Rarely matters”... to you is the key element to your post. It’s an opinion and it’s yours.
If “just about any string” works for your ears, great.
The issue is, in fact “ finding the one that sounds best” for me.
If to my ears Gibson Masterbuilts make my J45 sound angelic and all other strings fall short, it matters.
That’s why I bought a bunch of them before they became extinct.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 09-28-2020 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I’m in the other camp. I used to think strings didn’t matter. For every guitar there is a small group of strings that sound terrible, a bunch that sound good and fairly similar, and a few that just seem to fit perfectly. I was ready to sell one guitar when I discovered the perfect match. Makes a big difference, especially on a picky guitar.

My old all hog 000-15SM just sounded soooo much better with Juber gauge Martin monels. As much as I wanted the monels to sound good on my 12-fret D-18, I was sort of disappointed to learn that guitar LOVES 80/20s (disappointing because monels last so long and 80/20s so short). Try as I might with all the different PBS on the J45, DAdd nickel bronze just FIT on that guitar.

Then there’s feel and gauge and longevity and cost. Strings matter a lot. To be fair, some guitars are pickier than others. And some players more discerning than others. So many factors.

Last edited by zoopeda; 09-28-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 AM

In the past I would have agreed. I am lazy and just left Elixer on til I could not stand it. Then it was D’Addario EXP. but recently SantaCruz parabolic have bonded me back to my 1998 Taylor 414. I don’t think it has ever sounded this good!
Old 09-28-2020, 07:36 AM

String choice is one of the most fundamental things for any guitar player. As I've gotten older (started playing at 13, am now 47), I've seen changes in my style, my technique, my body chemistry... my hands could kill a set of untreated PB's in an hour or two of normal playing. Now it takes a couple days LOL!!!

Some guitars like certain makes of strings, some like certain sizes. I had a Bourgeois CB Dread that liked whatever you put on it, regardless the material or size. Had a D18-GE that needed mediums to get the top moving and anything other than treated PB's made it too bright and stiff. Weird guitar.

Had a CEO-7 that liked what you put on it, but really shined with Monels where no other guitar I have even sounds good with them. A Taylor 516E I had was particularly awful with them, light or medium.

So, yeah... I'll never agree that string choice is overrated... but also don't hunt and peck forever. Don't allow yourself to be fooled by something that should be good, but just doesn't work for you and don't be afraid to go back to what works.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:48 AM

You’re correct, any major string brand made of the same materials, will sound very much alike. The differences lie in what metals are used, not the name on the package.

I’ll also submit that there are many, many more topics constantly being debated that fall into the overrated category.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-28-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Totally agree about feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
Strings are extremely important IMO. Difference in tone yes, but even more in feel.
Definitely feel, i can't stand 80 / 20 on my fingers, can only tolerate 92 / 8.

So, for me, gauge and feel (PB) are the difference.

Longevity definitely comes into play when deciding what brand of strings.

To my ears, PB Gibson Masterbuilts, Martin SP or D'Addario tonewise, ain't much difference.

IMO

MGF
Old 09-28-2020, 08:13 AM

"Strings are like underwear. Many different kinds, but it only matters to you."
I don't remember whom I am (mis)quoting here.
I have long preferred the sound and feel of 80/20 (which also last longer for me). There are some brands I like more than others, but I buy sets according to how they are gauged and whether I want uncoated or coated strings.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:35 AM

Look, if a pick preference can make a difference, certainly a string choice can, too. Of course, which brand or alloy and gauge sounds best depends on the guitar itself, the player, the player's ears and preferences, along his/her playing style, ability, pick and/or fingers. Now, whether the variations are important enough for an individual to endlessly search for a favorite among the pack is a personal matter, but I don't believe all strings with "identical" alloys are, in fact, identical.

In my experience, a sampling of brands, alloy choices, windings and gauges usually demonstrate noticeable and obvious tonal changes. Most brands, even when supposedly offering the same alloys and gauges, will sound different from one another. For eg, I use uncoated Martin PB strings (now called Authentic, but, whatever...) and have never been happy with D'Addario PBs with the same gauge. This is not a slap at D'Addario; I only use D'Addario nickel on my electrics and was surprised to conclude I just don't like their acoustic PBs, at least on my current acoustic guitars.

Personally, I think string choices mirror guitar choices - whatever tonal differences there are between brands and body shapes that draw us toward one or the other are very similar to why we prefer certain strings over others. Once you've figured out what sound(s) you like coming from your guitar(s), string choices, like guitar choices, narrow down considerably.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:44 AM

Not that I don't care. I prefer John Pearse and GHS strings. I feel that D'Addario are high quality and come in so many gauges that I won't hesitate to play them as well.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:49 AM

Thumbs up Excellent Assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldRocker View Post
Look, if a pick preference can make a difference, certainly a string choice can, too. Of course, which brand or alloy and gauge sounds best depends on the guitar itself, the player, the player's ears and preferences, along his/her playing style, ability, pick and/or fingers. Now, whether the variations are important enough for an individual to endlessly search for a favorite among the pack is a personal matter, but I don't believe all strings with "identical" alloys are, in fact, identical.

In my experience, a sampling of brands, alloy choices, windings and gauges usually demonstrate noticeable and obvious tonal changes. Most brands, even when supposedly offering the same alloys and gauges, will sound different from one another. For eg, I use uncoated Martin PB strings (now called Authentic, but, whatever...) and have never been happy with D'Addario PBs with the same gauge. This is not a slap at D'Addario; I only use D'Addario nickel on my electrics and was surprised to conclude I just don't like their acoustic PBs, at least on my current acoustic guitars.

Personally, I think string choices mirror guitar choices - whatever tonal differences there are between brands and body shapes that draw us toward one or the other are very similar to why we prefer certain strings over others. Once you've figured out what sound(s) you like coming from your guitar(s), string choices, like guitar choices, narrow down considerably.

MGF

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion