The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Default Thicker Strings

I currently use 80/20 bronze 12/53 lights on my acoustic guitar. I'm wondering if I use thicker strings, will it make the guitar louder through stage amps?
Old 09-21-2020, 04:16 PM

If you have mag pickups, maybe. If they make your guitar louder (unplugged), they could make it sound louder plugged in too. What pickups are you using?
Old 09-21-2020, 04:30 PM

I have the Martin D-10E Road Series Electro Acoustic which has a Fisman MX-T pickup.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
...if I use thicker strings, will it make the guitar louder through stage amps?
Not as much as a bigger stage amp would.

There are good reasons for using lighter/heavier strings and the choice is usually a balance of some factor over another. In this case there is some chance you'll get a fuller sound but it may not be what you need and the cost in other factors may be high.

One common issue with lighter strings is for heavy-hitters. If you have a relatively low action your strings may be slapping against the fretboard, causing the note to choke and encouraging you to play harder and make things even worse. If this is the situation you may get increased clarity by playing more gently.

If things are genuinely too quiet you may just have inappropriate gear for the scenario.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 09-21-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I have the Martin D-10E Road Series Electro Acoustic which has a Fisman MX-T pickup.
Is it safe to assume you're getting feedback as the volume increases? There are other ways to increase volume before feedback that will be more effective, i.e. using in ear monitors instead of floor wedge monitors, using a sound hole plug, moving further away from the amp. Are you using a dedicated electric amp? Or an acoustic amp?

Having read your other posts, it seems like you're having trouble hearing yourself over the other instruments. If all is well, no one instrument will stand out in the FOH mix. I suggest you have a chat with the sound guy/gal and get your own in ear mix with your level bumped up to your liking.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 09-21-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:43 AM

I dont think electronically
You'll hear much difference.
Unless the guitar is mic'd.
What you may hear better is your guitar acoustically. Which could help a bit in a loud band situation. As long as your guitar is designed to handle medium gauge it certainly is an inexpensive experiment.
Magnetic soundhole pickups work better
In loud band situations. As do rubber plugs.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:04 AM

Turn up the volume controls...
... That will definitely make it louder.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-23-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I currently use 80/20 bronze 12/53 lights on my acoustic guitar. I'm wondering if I use thicker strings, will it make the guitar louder through stage amps?
Hi Clouds

A tweak on the volume knob will raise it more than strings.

I used to hear people say that heavier strings improved tone, but in studio my experience was it changed their volume a minor amount, but not their tone (I owned the studio and did then mixing).

Heavier strings often affected action if they were changed with no other adjustments. With a slight tweak of the truss rod, the action could be adjusted to be equal with most string changes.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 09-27-2020 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify; I'm not looking to amplyfy my playing, as my guitar is already quite loud the moment I got my Martin with the MX-T pickup, but I'm more looking to change the tone a bit and wondering what sort of tone thicker strings will bring.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify; I'm not looking to amplyfy my playing, as my guitar is already quite loud the moment I got my Martin with the MX-T pickup, but I'm more looking to change the tone a bit and wondering what sort of tone thicker strings will bring.
What pick do you use and how is your tone unsatisfactory at present?
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 09-25-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

String-wise to make it louder and punchier I would go with Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze... I noticed an effective difference at my shows with these strings, I love 'em!
Old 09-27-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
String-wise to make it louder and punchier I would go with Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze... I noticed an effective difference at my shows with these strings, I love 'em!
Are these medium-lights?
Old 09-28-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
It’s been my experience on the same guitar that a medium set of the same make and model of string will sound warmer then the light set. The larger diameter trebles seem to be what makes the most difference.

Sam.spoons asked a good question “what pick are you using”. Changing from a thin to medium or heavy pick will change the tone more then changing strings. I can get three different tones from the same guitar using a .50mm nylon, a .73mm cellulose or a 1.3mm prime tone
Old 09-30-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
If you have mag pickups, maybe. If they make your guitar louder (unplugged), they could make it sound louder plugged in too. What pickups are you using?
If you use a mag pup? Nickle wound strings
will improve(subjective) your tone ..or change
your tone some. I use monel and like them
alot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification