The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 AM

Default Need help with pedals hookup

OK so I am trying to figure out a way to hook up these pedals in order to have a separate guitar output and separate vocal output. Here is what I have:

Fishman Tonedeq
TC Helicon Harmony GTX
Ditto X2 looper

The harmony pedal has a thru input to use if I want separate signals. The Tonedeq has 2 outputs...one is a regular 1/4" guitar to amp output and the other is a XLR balanced output. The looper pedal has just one 1/4" input and one 1/4" output. So the looper needs to be last in the guitar chain and then that goes to my powered speaker.

So would the best way be to get a XLR to 1/4" cable and use that going from the Tonedeq into the thru input on the Harmony pedal? And then use the 1/4" output on the Tonedeq to the 1/4" looper input? I guess another option would be a splitter so I can send one guitar signal into the Harmony pedal and one into the Tonedeq?
Old 09-23-2020, 02:10 AM

JackB,
I would put the looper first in the chain and feed it to the Tonedeq. Take the 1/4” out of the tonedeq and feed that to the Harmony GTX. Take the XLR out of the Tonedeq and feed that to your powered speaker. Now turn your guitar volume on the Harmony GTX to zero so the guitar Is driving the harmonies, but not being output through the GTX XLR.

This set up would also allow you to better EQ your guitar signal. Record a loop, play it back and adjust the EQ to your preference. This would allow you to only hear the pickup signal feeding to your powered speaker.

Think that would work?
Old 09-23-2020, 12:14 PM

Thanks Marty. I think that would work, but why does everyone always say to put your looper last in the chain?

Also, I just realized the "thru" on the GTX is an output. I thought is was an input, because that section of the pedal is marked "Input". So I currently have it hooked up like this:

Guitar into the GTX, then out the "thru" of the GTX and into the 1/4" input of the Tonedeq. Then out the 1/4" out of the Tonedeq into the 1/4" input of the looper. Then out of the looper to the Speaker. Also the XLR out of the GTX goes to a 2nd channel on the speaker.

Is there any advantage to your way versus mine? Any advantage to using the XLR out of the Tonedeq versus the 1/4" out? Thanks for helping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
JackB,
I would put the looper first in the chain and feed it to the Tonedeq. Take the 1/4” out of the tonedeq and feed that to the Harmony GTX. Take the XLR out of the Tonedeq and feed that to your powered speaker. Now turn your guitar volume on the Harmony GTX to zero so the guitar Is driving the harmonies, but not being output through the GTX XLR.

This set up would also allow you to better EQ your guitar signal. Record a loop, play it back and adjust the EQ to your preference. This would allow you to only hear the pickup signal feeding to your powered speaker.

Think that would work?

Last edited by JackB1; 09-23-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Thanks Marty. I think that would work, but why does everyone always say to put your looper last in the chain?

Also, I just realized the "thru" on the GTX is an output. I thought is was an input, because that section of the pedal is marked "Input". So I currently have it hooked up like this:

Guitar into the GTX, then out the "thru" of the GTX and into the 1/4" input of the Tonedeq. Then out the 1/4" out of the Tonedeq into the 1/4" input of the looper. Then out of the looper to the Speaker. Also the XLR out of the GTX goes to a 2nd channel on the speaker.

Is there any advantage to your way versus mine? Any advantage to using the XLR out of the Tonedeq versus the 1/4" out? Thanks for helping!
That's the way I would do it. The reason people say to put your looper last is so that all the effects used on the guitar tone are being looped directly, rather than looping the raw signal then passing it through FX pedals. Does it make a difference? It could, for example, if you wanted to loop a rhythm with clean sound, then put a distortion on the guitar for a lead part (not looped).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Sorry - which way? mine or Marty's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
That's the way I would do it. The reason people say to put your looper last is so that all the effects used on the guitar tone are being looped directly, rather than looping the raw signal then passing it through FX pedals. Does it make a difference? It could, for example, if you wanted to loop a rhythm with clean sound, then put a distortion on the guitar for a lead part (not looped).
Old 09-23-2020, 07:21 PM

Your way should work fine.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 AM

Thanks Marty. I will try both and see if there's any difference.
I can see an advantage to having the looper at the end of the chain,
but your way would work too for the way I normally use it. I don't
do a lot of adding or subtracting effects after a loop is created. I use it
very simply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Your way should work fine.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Sorry - which way? mine or Marty's?
Yours - I quoted your post to clarify.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification