The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Alto TX 210 as Extension Speaker

I was looking for an extension speaker/side fill or possible monitor speaker.
My current speaker is one QSC CP8 on a pole. Didn't really want to spend another $400 for a CP8. Found this Alto TX 210 at Guitar Center for $169.
10 inch woofer,150 watts,17 Lbs. It sounds surprisingly good! Nice clean sound up to it's clipping limit. It gets loud. Keep in mind bare bones speaker: one XLR input and one XLR output only. Really wish it had a combi jack. Nice durable construction. They also make an 8 inch TX208 for $129. Of course 8 inch is smaller and lighter, but I figured at this price range the 10 inch would have better bass response and plays louder. This is perfect for my needs and am glad I didn't buy a second CP8. I have read many people using the Bose S1 as an extension speaker. If you don't need the battery, this is a great alternative, while saving some $$
Can anyone suggest any other alternatives in this price range?

Last edited by wweiss; 09-19-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:45 AM

I’ve had the TX208 for about a year using it exclusively as a floor monitor. Very impressed with the quality, especially for the price. A powered monitor for $129??
Old 09-22-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a great deal. Alto is an unsung hero in my book. Our duo has used a pair of Alto Troupers for several larger outdoor shows and they've done a great job. I'd go with the Alto as I can't think of anything comparable in that price range.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:20 AM

You might consider also the Box speakers from Thomann, they have very good reviews in the inexpensive range (in relation to the price you pay), for istance the Box PA 10 DSP https://m.thomannmusic.com/the_box_pa_10_dsp.htm or from Italian DB technologies the DB technologies B-Hype 10 https://m.thomannmusic.com/db_techno..._b_hype_10.htm they both have two combo xlr/jack inputs (edit the B-Hype has only one), i know somebody who is quite happy with them but cannot say how they would compare to the Alto Tx

Last edited by Kabi; 09-23-2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabi View Post
You might consider also the Box speakers from Thomann, they have very good reviews in the inexpensive range (in relation to the price you pay), for istance the Box PA 10 DSP https://m.thomannmusic.com/the_box_pa_10_dsp.htm or from Italian DB technologies the DB technologies B-Hype 10 https://m.thomannmusic.com/db_techno..._b_hype_10.htm they both have two combo xlr/jack inputs (edit the B-Hype has only one), i know somebody who is quite happy with them but cannot say how they would compare to the Alto Tx
As the OP mentions Guitar Center, assume he is in the US, Thomann is Europe/UK.

I've got 2 TX210 speakers as my PA mains, they work fine for normal use, avoid pushing them to their limit. I've been using mine for an outdoor open mic for the last 2 months, more than enough volume.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-23-2020, 12:46 PM

A venue I play at has a pair of TX208s and they seem to be fine.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-23-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Sounds like a great deal. Alto is an unsung hero in my book. Our duo has used a pair of Alto Troupers for several larger outdoor shows and they've done a great job. I'd go with the Alto as I can't think of anything comparable in that price range.
Agreed. I've been using a Trouper with a Yamaha mixer for the last 2 years for small to medium solo gigs and it handles those easily. Good sound, easy transport. I grab the Alto before taking my Fishman Artist.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Agreed. I've been using a Trouper with a Yamaha mixer for the last 2 years for small to medium solo gigs and it handles those easily. Good sound, easy transport. I grab the Alto before taking my Fishman Artist.
We each also have the Fishman Artist. At a large outdoor show our PA was us running straight into our respective Artists positioned behind us and DI outs to the Altos on poles for FOH. Big block party atmosphere downtown in a small town and we had good clean sound with plenty of headroom!
Old 09-24-2020, 06:31 AM

The last of my Alto speakers caught fire during a lesson yesterday.

Admittedly they were the gen1 of the TS series, I had 2x12s and 2x10s, but 0/4 is not a good record considering I have power amps from the 80s that still work fine, this is mature technology.

Sometimes more than your livelihood depends on your gear, sometimes it's your life. Be careful where you place your trust.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification