The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-27-2020, 12:47 AM

Lightbulb Best coated strings with hard tension?

Hello, I am currently using D'addario EJ45FF carbon strings which have good tension (harder than the pro-art and new XT strings) but have no coating. I am looking for a set that is coated but with tension high as the EJ45 or EJ46.

So looking for hard tension with bass strings that slide easily/don't give noise and last due to being coated. Is there a set out there with those specs? (basically the equivalent to Elixir strings for steel string guitar)
Thanks!

Last edited by Tasos; 08-27-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:14 AM

Coated Elixirs come in two flavors, Polyweb and Nanoweb. The Poly are wound and then coated, whereas the Nano, I believe, are coated then wound, the Nano a brighter string with more tactile friction on the fingertip. So, when you say coated like Elixirs, which one do you mean?
Old 08-27-2020, 12:02 PM

I have used both on my acoustic and liked the feel of Polyweb but I think an equivalent on classical guitar will sound a bit too muted? so I would say like Nano.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:41 PM

Galli Genius Carbonio GR90 Hard basses have a similar feel to Polyweb's, as do probably a lot of other brand strings. I favor them for their balance and quality of the #3 string up and down the frets. As for a thick coating like Poly, I think it right to wonder if it would be too heavy, because I haven't come across or heard of coated nylon basses. The Nano method of coating, a possibility, but I'm ignorant there as well.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Galli Genius Carbonio GR90 Hard basses have a similar feel to Polyweb's, as do probably a lot of other brand strings. I favor them for their balance and quality of the #3 string up and down the frets. As for a thick coating like Poly, I think it right to wonder if it would be too heavy, because I haven't come across or heard of coated nylon basses. The Nano method of coating, a possibility, but I'm ignorant there as well.
Thanks for the suggestion, I can't seem to find those in EU. Any other sets to suggest?
Old 08-28-2020, 09:27 AM

La Bella 413P HT trebles/MT basses - polished basses as smooth as flatwounds

Savarez 520 R rectified trebles HT - similar feel to Polywebs
Old 08-28-2020, 09:32 AM

These are not coated though? I went with XT and will keep my current EJ45 trebles which could work. The La Bellas seem nice so might try them too.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 AM

No mention of coating in the product descriptions.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

D’Addario EXP46 is a Hard tension nylon set with coated basses:

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...-hard-tension/

Caveat: I tried them once and didn’t like them much. And they’re pricey.

But I’m a big fan of D’Addario in general, with J46 my favorite trebles. Recently though I’ve switched to their CNX-3T Extra Hard tension trebles. A terrific string that I really like.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-10-2020, 01:40 AM

So I got 2 sets, D'addario XTC44 (extra hard tension) and La Bella 500P.
The difference in tension is high with the XTC providing more volume and crispier sound while the 500P being muffled since their purpose is to reduce noise when recording but I can't say I liked their sound, maybe if the tension was higher they would give more volume.

The XTC's have nice resonance but for some reason they don't slide easily compared to the uncoated strings and feel sticky. Their tension is also a bit much since I can hear some fret buzz due to not fretting as easily, so I guess the XTC46 which is lower tension is a good choice.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:30 AM

But the stickiness sounds unpleasant. Something I didn't ask, do non-coated strings degrade/tarnish quickly for you? I think a high acid PH in moisture from the fingers is a cause for that. Don't some string manufacturers sell bass sets? It's a way to keep replacement costs down.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:31 AM

Yes they do for me, that's why I was looking for coated ones. I think I'll use the D'addario XT ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical