The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-07-2000, 04:55 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Post Quiet Reverb Unit?

I've been looking for a better reverb unit for my acoustic setup. I'm currently using the Behringer Virtualizer Pro unit which emits a little too much "hiss" for my purposes.

Does anyone know of a truly quiet reverb unit? Some people have suggested the Lexicon MPX100. Any thoughts?

J.R.
Old 09-08-2000, 06:24 AM

Hey JR

I have the Virtualizer, as well as the Lexicon MPX100 and an Alesis Midiverb 4 and a Digitech S100...of the four, the Lexicon is my clear favorite, followed very closely by the Alesis...

I should clarify, though, that I don't use them strictly in an acoustic set up, but in my home studio, on acoustic, electric guitar and electric bass.

The Lexicon and Alesis are both very quiet, much quieter than the Behringer. The only difference between the two is programability, if you're into fine tuning and tweaking effects, the Alesis would be the way to go, but if you're a "set it and play" kind of player, the Lexicon has a bit better reverb sound at the expense of more flexible tonal tweaking. FWIW, I haven't missed the tweakability on the Lexicon at all.

Hope that helps! Take advantage of a Guitar Center or Musicians' Friend return policy, get one of each and try them out yourself.

Paul
Old 09-08-2000, 05:13 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Yeah, I may do that. Thanks for the information. I'm happy with the quality of the Behringer effects, but I just can't get used to the high amount of hiss from an otherwise clean system:
Hafler Power Amp and Rane Acoustic Preamp, both of which are EXTREMELY low/no noise.

Do you get any level of hiss at all from the Lexicon? Does it have balanced I/O?

J.R.
Old 09-17-2000, 09:00 AM

Whoops! Sorry I left you hangin' here, JR...I don't get any hiss at all from the Lex (or the Alesis, for that matter...) The 100 only has 1/4" jacks, to get XLRs you'll have to get the MPX-500. Haven't tried one yet, but I've heard nothing but great reviews.

Also might want to consider the TC Electronics M-One.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/products...=58&category=1

Paul
Old 09-17-2000, 05:46 PM

With a rig the level of yours J.R., I would be looking at the new TC Unit that is available (~$500) or the Lexicon stuff. Some of the finest reverbs I have ever used are from those two companies.

------------------
Scott Peterson

Marilyn Mack Group
Marilyn Mack Group MP3.Com Site
My Personal MP3.Com Site
Dirty Cow Records
My Gear

"Sleeping and eating were never as important to me (as playing the guitar)."
Chet Atkins
Old 09-17-2000, 10:27 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Yeah... Actually what turned me on to the Behringer originally was the fact that it had a true power supple and not a wall-wart, and it had balanced I/O's. It's has some very professional features, but the darn thing just has too much "hiss". I'm certainly not complaining about the quality of the effects. I've had very good luck with Behringer stuff in the past. Their mixers for instance, are very high quality, rivaling Mackie at a much lower price.

I'm just wondering if all reverb units have this "hiss".

J.R.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification