The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-20-2018, 03:25 PM

Arrow Strumming technique employed in this song?

Greetings, watching some Igor Presnyakov's arrangements for fingerstyle guitar, I can see he strums in a particular way, the strumming per se starts at 0.10 to 0.15 minutes of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdWBFsUO0A
I was wondering which kind of strumming was that, if it was from flamenco or any other genre.
Thanks.

-Generic classical guitar, no electronics (Medium tension strings)
-Taylor GS Mini-E Walnut (0.13 strings)
Mics: Rode M5, match pair, small diaphragm. Also AT2020, large diaphragm.
PC: Win 8, Netbook, 4GB RAM
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Interface: TASCAM Us-144 MK II
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Maybe this will help you get more responses. You only need this part between the youtube tags: 8UdWBFsUO0A

Old 07-20-2018, 05:40 PM

That particular section is basically a flamenco-style rasgueado, but he's playing most of the song with his hand in more of a clawhammer/frailing configuration. He's not doing anything too complicated, just lots of plucking and downstrokes with the fingernails, plus the thumb slaps--this is the same sort of thing, minus the rasgueado, though it sounds simpler (albeit more to my taste).
Old 07-26-2018, 03:12 PM

Don't overlook his nails. They're pretty long and an important part of his playing technique.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
Greetings, watching some Igor Presnyakov's arrangements for fingerstyle guitar, I can see he strums in a particular way, the strumming per se starts at 0.10 to 0.15 minutes of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdWBFsUO0A
I was wondering which kind of strumming was that, if it was from flamenco or any other genre.
Thanks.
Yes, it's a kind of flamenco style strumming, downward with the fingernails (or alaska picks in this case). There's also some up and down strumming with the side of the thumb.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Okay guys, so basically yes a Flamenco or flamenco-esque strumming, I see his right hand (when strumming), moves near the bridge and then near the rosette, Does this come from a particular strumming in the flamenco genre or do you think (like I do) that Igor himself made that up?

Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Okay guys, so basically yes a Flamenco or flamenco-esque strumming, I see his right hand (when strumming), moves near the bridge and then near the rosette, Does this come from a particular strumming in the flamenco genre or do you think (like I do) that Igor himself made that up?
It's quite common to move the strumming hand away from (or closer to) the bridge, to get a different tone - warmer or softer over the fretboard. Using the side of the thumb is also a softer effect than the fingernails/picks.
Watch Gabriela from around 0:30 here (you may want to select the half-speed option ):
Old 07-29-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
See 1.57 onwards ;-)

As mentioned above, its quite common in nylon strung to seek out different tone colour by playing sul ponticello (near the bridge) or sul tasto (towards the fretboard) and everywhere in between. It has to be said that Sabicas was very fond of doing this to get a big swell to his continuous rasgueados but its not *that* common in flamenco as most of the time you are looking for a real bite to the attack. Igor certainly didn't invent anything here though.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:03 AM

^ Good example!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:57 AM

Okay, is there any video or booklet which shows excercises or gives instruction on the strumming in question? THanks
That is, does that strumming in flamenco or whatever have a particular name?

Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Okay, is there any video or booklet which shows excercises or gives instruction on the strumming in question? THanks
That is, does that strumming in flamenco or whatever have a particular name?
rasgueado: - or a term I just discovered, abanico, which translates as "fan", obviously referring to the opening-out action of the hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u7glztU0qs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTczVNihI4

NB: the guy in the Shape of You video is not doing anything quite as strict as that, it's more like frailing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5gwA2RLfaI&t=68

Last edited by JonPR; 07-30-2018 at 01:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
fingerstyle, flamenco, strumming, technique