The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-01-2022, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
We got a fair amount done this afternoon but we are creeping up toward the same point we were at when the machine blew up last time.
Ooooh... a cliffhanger!
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-01-2022, 08:53 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Does anyone remember what movie this is from? It kinda fits the situation.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
... I'm off Tuesday for my anniversary as well, so it'll be Wednesday before I can continue.

Bob
Happy Anniversary, Bob!

- Glenn
Old 07-02-2022, 06:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thank you!

Bob

Old 07-02-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Isn't it great that Microsoft brought back the BSOD for Windows 11. It happened to me after I bought my new Dell system last November. It came with Windows 10, Upgraded to 11 and somewhere during the driver updates (I believe it was a video card driver), it crashed and turned blue. Yikes!

Like you, I started from scratch - And I'm happy to say, no problems since.

Rick

PS - there were other hiccups since that time. IMO, Msoft released Windows 11 with flaws and a lack of a clear vision. Reminds me of when they released Windows 98 and the initial release was buggy and junky. Then, a second release (SE) was needed to make it stable.
Yes, I remember the Blue Screen of Death from back when I was writing Windows device drivers. The BSOD presented a stack trace and register dump and some other bits of information. The problem was that it wasn't always accurate because it usually didn't capture the exact state of the system WHEN the problem occurred that caused the crash that was captured in the BSOD. We had to use hardware emulators to do that.

As an aside, I switched completely to Linux on my laptop (my only computer) when Microsoft started pushing Windows 11 every time there was an update for Windows 10. Other than that one job writing Windows drivers, embedded Linux was my preferred target with desktop Linux as my development environment, as it was for all the other engineers I worked with in the various companies where I worked ever since the early-mid 1990s.

In fact, most hardware vendors who provide "demo boards" to aid early project hardware development using their silicon, all provide an embedded Linux and Open Source development tools environment these days. It used to be RTOS, Wind River, or similar, but Linux has been the standard now for many years.

Clearly that isn't a solution for most folks since really, the desired application(s) dictate the OS environment required, as would clearly be the case for the OP. Since even when using Windows, I always preferred Open Source applications and have years of work and home experience delving deeply into Linux and Open Source in general, so the transition was an easy and obvious choice for me.

To me, Windows internally was a mess, while Unix and its variants seem pretty straightforward. I am sure that for those developers who prefer the Windows environment, the reverse may well be true. So, in the end, it is more a matter of familiarity than superiority when comparing platforms, though OS "religious wars" can sometimes be a fun way to pass the time just as can be arguing about all things guitar.

Happy Anniversary Bob. Which one is it for you? My wife and I will be celebrating our 39th this month.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-02-2022, 08:13 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Happy Anniversary Bob. Which one is it for you? My wife and I will be celebrating our 39th this month.
Tony
Thank you! This will be our 42nd. And congratulations and happy anniversary to you and your bride as well!

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD