The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-05-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerKing View Post
When I learned the lengths to which TJ goes, including but not limited to the aforementioned suntanning of bridge plates, and the buying off eBay of trashed old martins as parts donors, it made me feel a lot better about my own obsessive compulsive tendencies. 😁
Of all the luthiers still working, he may be one of the most elusive in the sense of guitars he built appearing on this forum being posted about or put on sale. He must have built few in his career having spent most of it restoring old Martins and doing his magic on them. But he is spoken of in revered tones no matter in martin forums or boutique guitar forums for the tone he is able to achieve.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:45 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Of all the luthiers still working, he may be one of the most elusive in the sense of guitars he built appearing on this forum being posted about or put on sale. He must have built few in his career having spent most of it restoring old Martins and doing his magic on them. But he is spoken of in revered tones no matter in martin forums or boutique guitar forums for the tone he is able to achieve.
I am incredibly lucky to be in some level of the circle of trust; ive played a few of his repairs, but only one of his originals. They are special, and are like trying to find a needle in a needlestack. Its like trying to get a Henderson and a Kim Walker on the same day. [emoji23]
Old 07-05-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
When I learned the lengths to which TJ goes, including but not limited to the aforementioned suntanning of bridge plates, and the buying off eBay of trashed old martins as parts donors, it made me feel a lot better about my own obsessive compulsive tendencies. 😁
Quote:
I am incredibly lucky to be in some level of the circle of trust; ive played a few of his repairs, but only one of his originals. They are special, and are like trying to find a needle in a needlestack. Its like trying to get a Henderson and a Kim Walker on the same day. [emoji23]
That would indeed be rare!

There was a member of umgf who not only had multiple pristine prewar martins including one or two 1930 OMs in fantastic condition and he also owned a couple of T J Thompson OMs. Talk about the mother lode...

I once owned a Schoenberg Soloist which had its top that had been voiced by Thompson at the beginning of his career but rhta is the closest I have ever come to having or playing a athompson original...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop