The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-30-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Short neck scale carbon fiber guitars?

Does anyone make a carbon fiber guitar with neck dimensions similar to a Gibson J45? I have short fingers so I like the shorter neck scale. And I like the shape of that neck as well. That is, I don't enjoy big, fat "baseball bat" necks. I'm hoping to find one, new or used, for about $1,000. A dream, perhaps, but reality often intrudes on my dreams.

So, any ideas?
Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 AM

According to Acoustic Guitar magazine the Lava Me 2 ($799 on Amazon) has an 18-fret neck and: "The Me 2 features Lava’s Fly+ neck, which according to Lava, was “designed by tracking the different forces of shifting positions while players are playing.” It feels narrower, deeper and rounder at the lower frets, slightly wider and flatter as you move up."

Frankly, you're not going to find much else < $1K. Maybe a used CA Cargo (not sure what shape neck those have). FWIW - I find the Rainsong N2 neck comfortable enough - I figure if little girls can play on classical guitars fretboards a hair > 2", I think the short-fingers needs narrow neck argument somewhat strained, but whatever is most comfortable for you!
Old 07-30-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

If you can find a used Rainsong CH-OM or Shorty, they are 12 fret models with a 24.875 scale length. I'm not sure of the similarity in neck dimensions in comparison with the J45
Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-30-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I'm not sure of the similarity in neck dimensions in comparison with the J45
Hope this helps.
Much like the J45, the neck on my 12-fret RainSong extends all the way out to the headstock.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

A Rainsong can be special ordered with a 12-fret neck designated their NS....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-30-2021, 02:14 PM

Since you mention you dislike “baseball bat” necks I would stay away from RainSong. Emerald will do a custom scale and profile, and you could also go with the X7 or McPherson Touring as stock options.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:54 PM

Default Short neck scale question

Thanks for your replies. I don't recall asking about neck widths of hypothetical carbon fiber guitars, but I don't want a 2" wide fretboard whether or not I'm a little girl. I once had a Steinberger "Headless" electric that I kept in my office and the neck on that thing was thick. The fretboard was not, but from the fretboard back to where your thumb rests the neck was as thick as the barrel of a Louisville slugger. Bad stuff, but it worked for that special application.

Emeralds and Rainsongs are spectacularly expensive by my standards. I'm looking hard at a "Lava" one piece carbon fiber guitar for about $800. Those other two brands are priced like museum pieces IMHO.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

What about "Journey" ? The cf guitars, not the group.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:37 AM
Guest 928

Or maybe the steel string Rider?
Old 07-31-2021, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

And maybe the Enya Carbon Fiber Acoustic Electric Guitar X4 Pro which you can find on amazon for 899.00 might work for you. there is a review that has been done on the forum here that you can do a search for. Good luck in finding what your looking for.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

If you can find a used previous generation Emerald X7, you may have exactly what you're looking for... 24" scale, 1 3/4" nut width, and sounds much bigger than the size would have you believe. I have one - not for sale. My favorite small guitar. One of these could be in your price range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber