The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-22-2021, 04:29 AM

Default Question about my new x7

I just got my first CF guitar. I love everything about it except for maybe the price and perhaps one more thing. There seam to be realy small pockets of air on a lot of places. Like the carbon fibrer did not get proper soaked or something? Is this normal, if it is fine but since this is my first CF I dont know.
..Trying to figure out how to attach photos..

Last edited by Jungestrand; 07-22-2021 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Send your pictures to me, and I'll post them...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungestrand View Post
Trying to figure out how to attach photos..
Welcome to the forum. Here's how to attach pictures. Right now, you're a registered user, so you have two choices. You may use the Tapatalk app or a third-party host like Imgur. Take a look at the post I linked you and PM me if you have any questions.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:43 AM

Having had Rainsong, Emerald and McPherson CF guitars I can say that is somewhat normal, but none of mine had anywhere near that much. I was told that it doesn’t affect the strength or durability etc…it is cosmetic. IIRC that was in reference to my Emerald.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:58 AM

I dunno. My X-20 doesn't have any of that. You may want to reach out to Emerald and see what they have to say about it.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Looks a lot worse than normal to me....
Old 07-22-2021, 10:21 AM

I just looked at my X7 to see if I had missed it; on mine I see almost no air pockets anywhere in the guitar. In fact, I am again impressed with the flawless appearance. It might be nice to have the folks at Emerald confirm that it makes no difference in tone or durability and what consideration there might be if the aesthetics are bothersome.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I had an X7 for about a year and a half and an X20 before that and I don't remember ANY such air-bubbles in either of them. A couple of small ones wouldn't bother me, but something with THAT MANY would bother me, on principle alone. I care much less about my guitars' appearance than most around here seem to, but that would bother me, just for the general shoddiness of it. If you bought it new, I'd consider returning it. And I'd ask them to pay return freight - that's not just a matter of not liking the guitar, IMHO that's a defective product...

-Ray
Old 07-22-2021, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I was wondering if the polyurethane finish was completely air tight? The guitar being brand new the air pockets might disappear after a few weeks if the finish is (even only slightly) porous. Emerald should be able to tell whether or not the imperfections are permanent or just the result of the faster build process.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I've just been over my new Amicus looking for this syndrome.

At first, I thought I might have found a small example of it - looked like tiny white flecks - but on moving the instrument around in the light, I realized it was minor variations of reflectivity in the weave.

I'd agree with others, though - you should take it up with Emerald. They were very helpful recently for a couple of minor issues I did have with the Amicus.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-23-2021, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

Alistair responded to this issue when it came up in another thread a while back.

Apparently, it's a known problem with Emerald's manufacturing process.

Here is the link to his comments...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...es#post5413697
Old 07-23-2021, 06:18 AM

Thanks for all the answers and comments. I will talk to Emerald.

Last edited by Jungestrand; 07-23-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Question about my new x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungestrand View Post
Thanks for all the answers and comments. I will talk to Emerald.

My X7 is bubble free.
Please keep us posted as to how Emerald responds to your inquiry.
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by TRose; 07-26-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:02 PM

both my v2 and v3 x7's were bubble free. That seems less than acceptable as that is ALOT of air gaps. At the very least they should have emailed you as to give you heads up and make sure you still wanted it from stock, unless you custom ordered it.

There's lots of "stuff" that doesnt make sense on how things pass inspection but I guess they see defects in every guitar they make so there's certain levels of acceptance.

To my other post about strings not being centered on fretboard, seems like something they would check but guess not. I assume they are cranking these out as to play catch up for past year, so may be letting certain things pass.

As these carbon fibers are not getting cheaper, think they need to inspect a little better or spend more time preventing these mishaps as you can no longer pass these off as cheap guitars...and expect a custom level of quality build.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:07 PM
Guest 928

Iluv;

Even the best craftsperson might make an occasional error. I had one of the better carbon fiber guitars that had a soft spot in the weave, but the error was acknowledged up front and the instrument was offered at a killer price. But if the errors mount up without compensation or correction, and if people start taking note and publicly complaining then the problems can lead to a ruined reputation and a failed enterprise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber