The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-17-2021, 09:58 PM

Default X10 vs X20 from Emerald

So I recently picked up an X20 used and really liked the sound and feel. However the fretboard and nut were a bit too wide for my liking, especially as you got up past the 7th fret.

So I've sold it and decided to spec a custom one for myself. Originally I was going to just get another x20 and spec a narrower neck. But then I started checking out the x10 which already has the narrow neck and all those interesting pickup configurations including midi.

So my main question for those who have played both is about the difference in acoustic sound between them. It's still primarily an acoustic instrument for me, but if the sounds are comparable and it isnt compromising much, then the added functionality of the x10 is pretty cool.

The body dimensions arent crazy different between the two and the body depth is the same for both.

Anyway, would love to hear what experience you guys have had
cheers, Dean
Old 07-18-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

My X20 is from before the updates (heel-less neck join, pinless bridge), and it feels significantly larger than the X10. My X10 is an early model current generation. Just getting some basis for my opinions.

My X20 is significantly louder and richer than the X10 (to my ears and what I experience in recording). Both are very comfortable to play. The necks feel very different, with each being comfortable to me. The X10 has a "sweet," balanced tone. The X20 is deeper, richer, and more powerful acoustically. Plugged in, the X10 (mine has the level 2 pickups) can "sound more electric" but still sounds good as an acoustic. My X20 has the LR Baggs Element. The plugged in sound on each is important to how I use it.

They really are very different guitars to me.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:29 PM

Thanks for that feedback Captain Jim. I think I'm going with the x20 but have a narrower neck. I don't really need a hybrid electric/acoustic like the x10 so I'll keep it focused on the acoustic side of things. That said, I might add midi to the guitar for potential future fun with a synth pedal.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierymusic View Post
That said, I might add midi to the guitar for potential future fun with a synth pedal.
I added a midi to my X7. I have been having fun with it. I don’t regret doing it.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:08 AM

What are you playing it through for the synth sounds?
How's the implimentation on your x7, you happy with it?
Old 07-28-2021, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
I added a midi to my X7. I have been having fun with it. I don’t regret doing it.
What are you playing it through for the synth sounds?
How's the implimentation on your x7, you happy with it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber