The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-13-2021, 06:14 AM

Default Learned somethin this evenin (Fishman Mini Loud Box)

Last evenin, I took my cheap Gretsch (2657T) to my sons house to let them hear it, and me- I don't gig- (I record you tube videos)- I was shocked at the difference in the sound of the amp

At home, in my apt, with it setting on the couch beside me, I like the way it sounds- in his house, on a hard floor, in a semi-open space (much more so than my apt), it sounded terrible to me- my son said it was too loud to hear me singing- so I turned down the volume on the guitar and dialed back the gain on the amp- the next song my son applauded me- - but, it still didn't sound right-

Here's an example of recording a you tube video
- notice where the amp is-

Now, all that said, I am working on trading the guitar and amp for a different Gretsch (5410T Rat Rod) and a Bugera V5 (per the recommendation in a different thread on guitar and amp choice)-

I wonder if I will notice (or if there will be) the same difference I hear now in different settings/environments-
Old 07-13-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

The "room" (whatever space the amp sits in) is always going to have an effect on the sound you get. The greater the differences in the spaces, the more dramatic the difference you'll hear from the same guitar/amp combo. Even moving an amp inside a space can result in a very different sound.

Those differences, however, can be minimized when recording. When we put a microphone right up against the amp cabinet, it greatly reduces the room effect that will show up on the track.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-13-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The "room" (whatever space the amp sits in) is always going to have an effect on the sound you get. The greater the differences in the spaces, the more dramatic the difference you'll hear from the same guitar/amp combo. Even moving an amp inside a space can result in a very different sound.

Those differences, however, can be minimized when recording. When we put a microphone right up against the amp cabinet, it greatly reduces the room effect that will show up on the track.

I set the amp beside me on the couch so my iPhone will pick it up- I wasn't recording at my sons so I don't have any idea what it would have sounded like in that environment- I do know that I have tried putting the amp in different places around the phone and where I have it in my videos is where it picked up best from- still learning how to use what I have w/o getting too technical or over loaded with switches, etc., and cables, tie in's- whatevers-

I was just flabber gasted (disappointed) that is sounded so bad last evenin- cause it sounds (to me) so good on my videos, which is what I was hoping to reveal, in person- and didn't-
Old 07-13-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Last evenin, I took my cheap Gretsch (2657T) to my sons house to let them hear it, and me- I don't gig- (I record you tube videos)- I was shocked at the difference in the sound of the amp

At home, in my apt, with it setting on the couch beside me, I like the way it sounds- in his house, on a hard floor, in a semi-open space (much more so than my apt), it sounded terrible to me- my son said it was too loud to hear me singing- so I turned down the volume on the guitar and dialed back the gain on the amp- the next song my son applauded me- - but, it still didn't sound right-

Here's an example of recording a you tube video
- notice where the amp is-

Now, all that said, I am working on trading the guitar and amp for a different Gretsch (5410T Rat Rod) and a Bugera V5 (per the recommendation in a different thread on guitar and amp choice)-

I wonder if I will notice (or if there will be) the same difference I hear now in different settings/environments-
Wow, that surprises me. I have a Loudbox Mini, which I have used for years in all different rooms and it's never disappointed me. I've certainly had to dial in the EQ on both the guitar and the amp, depending on the room.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD