The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Blackbird Savoy - factory pickup or no?

My friend is ordering a savoy but is trying to decide to go with factorypickup or no.

he doesn't play out currently and only at home.

He is concerned the undersaddle will negatively effect unplugged sound and 1 extra thing to go outdated.

However he is concerned with resale value, if he doesn't like it when he gets it, going without factory pickup may negatively affect resale. Or down the road may decide to plug in.

What do you think? Factory pickup or no?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:40 PM

The pickups offered by Blackbird are all easy installs for a competent tech and they are not giving them away (meaning it won't cost you any more to get it done later). I say no.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 PM

I opted for no pickup on my Lucky 13 when I ordered last June. I don't regret not having a pickup (i dont perform anymore) and pickups can always be added later. A pickup generally won't add much resale value, but might make a sale go a little faster - if the buyer wants one. It is something to eventually fail or become obsolete.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 AM

On this Blackbird it appears relatively easy to put in a pickup latter given the center sound hole. Not the case on the rider, super OM and there BBT. I assume EKOA reacts the same as wood or carbon and there s already a pilot hole with the end strap button. My choice would be a K&K passive pickup. The MISI sound great but I just can't bring myself to carry around another charger... :-) Wish there was a phone or usb charger for it... :-)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 AM

FG60, there is a way to charge the MiSi pickup with just a 9V battery, instead of the wall wart charger. I believe the pickup instructions show how.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 AM

I made these and keep them in the gigbag; one is for a 9v battery and the other is for a standard negative tip 9v stompbox power supply. The stand where I keep my MiSi equipped H-DR1100N2 has the charger plugged-in nearby.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-07-2021, 12:06 PM
Guest 928

Jon;

Very nice, thank you for the illustration.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
FG60, there is a way to charge the MiSi pickup with just a 9V battery, instead of the wall wart charger. I believe the pickup instructions show how.
I had a K&K mini installed by Joe and the team back in the day when I ordered mine. Joe said that because of the center hole construction the sound was much more balanced and easier to dial in than the prior carbon fiber models like the rider and Super OM. I seem to remember a similar issue with the cargo because of the placement of the sound hole.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I opted for no pickup on my Lucky 13 when I ordered last June. I don't regret not having a pickup (i dont perform anymore) and pickups can always be added later. A pickup generally won't add much resale value, but might make a sale go a little faster - if the buyer wants one. It is something to eventually fail or become obsolete.
I'm with Earl. I always opt for no pickup....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber