The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2021, 08:19 PM

What I’m thinking I might do is put fresh strings on my Eastman J-45 copy (John Pearse phosphor bronze in bluegrass gauge,) then take it and another set of the same strings to Guitar Center to restring the Epi so I can make a closer comparison. I’ve got plenty of strings on hand (one of the benefits of being an artist endorser,) so my only real outlay is time. Since I’m retired now I have plenty of that, too.

So it’s worth doing but not on a Saturday - at a Guitar Center, going in on a Saturday is insane.

Monday is soon enough.

whm
Old 07-30-2021, 08:58 PM

Played an “Epiphone Inspired By Gibson.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
What I’m thinking I might do is put fresh strings on my Eastman J-45 copy (John Pearse phosphor bronze in bluegrass gauge,) then take it and another set of the same strings to Guitar Center to restring the Epi so I can make a closer comparison. I’ve got plenty of strings on hand (one of the benefits of being an artist endorser,) so my only real outlay is time. Since I’m retired now I have plenty of that, too.

So it’s worth doing but not on a Saturday - at a Guitar Center, going in on a Saturday is insane.

Monday is soon enough.

whm

Wade,

Please post your results if you do it. I got the J-200 version and I like it a lot. New info is always appreciated. Am thinking about the J-45 a bit at the moment.

(I had posted some impressions on mine, maybe a couple of months ago, on the original Epiphone IBG thread.)

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 07-30-2021, 09:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

It does not appear they come without electronics. I always prefer to add my own. I loathe most factory-installed pickups. Don't just dislike; loathe.

scott memmer
Old 07-30-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
It does not appear they come without electronics. I always prefer to add my own. I loathe most factory-installed pickups. Don't just dislike; loathe.

scott memmer
Scott, I found your post difficult to parse; are you saying that they do come with factory-installed electronics? That’s fairly standard these days.

whm
Old 07-30-2021, 09:28 PM

Wade,

the answer is "yes they do".

Taken from Sweetwater page -

Epiphone J-200 Acoustic Guitar Features:

Onboard Fishman electronics for pristine amplified acoustic tone

Soundhole-mounted preamp with rotary controls for Volume and Tone gives you incredibly easy, quick access to tweaking your tone

Sweetwater page URL :

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...sunburst-gloss

Don

Last edited by donlyn; 07-30-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:00 PM

Thanks, Don.

whm
Old 07-30-2021, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Scott, I found your post difficult to parse; are you saying that they do come with factory-installed electronics? That’s fairly standard these days.

whm
Wade, hiya, sorry for my obtuseness and all the double negatives. I'll see if I can clear it up.

I've played hundreds of open mics and thus heard hundreds of acoustics with factory electronics in dozens of settings. I cannot think of a single one that sounded good to my ear. Not one.

Now, I'm not your average bear; I am the worst kind of fanatical tone chaser, from picks to strings to pick-ups. Give me a $100 SM-57 or -58 and I'm a happy camper. But factory electronics? Ugh.

Yes, most flat tops in this price range come with a factory-installed pickup. I don't think that's a good thing. It's a convenient thing, not a sonic en hancement.

Case in point: I had forgotten that you play an Eastman J-45 clone, same as me. Is it the E-10SS? Note that Eastman (still) does not offer the base model with a pickup. Because it's a REAL guitar.

I'm thrilled to see Epiphone and Gibson doing well, ecstatic they got rid of the previous toxic regime. I saw the new Epi offerings at Anaheim NAMM in January 2020 (which seems so long ago), just before COVID hit and was mightily impressed. More power to them.

As for myself, I would seriously consider buying one of these IF it came without a pickup. Do they perhaps make a base model that comes without?

One last question: Is this model made in Bozeman? I know some of the new Epis are now made there, although I believe those are the pricier models. I have nothing against overseas manufacturing. Just curious.

Be Well, Wade,
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-30-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 PM

Given the price tag, I seriously question whether it would even be possible to build this guitar in the United States. I didn’t check, but I assumed it was made in China.

Will someone who has one please check on the country of manufacture for us? Thanks.

whm
Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Given the price tag, I seriously question whether it would even be possible to build this guitar in the United States. I didn’t check, but I assumed it was made in China.

Will someone who has one please check on the country of manufacture for us? Thanks.

whm
Made in Indonesia Wade - I think they've been making them there for some time now, my 2012 EJ-200 was also made in Indonesia.

Before that I believe they were made in Korea.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Made in Indonesia Wade - I think they've been making them there for some time now, my 2012 EJ-200 was also made in Indonesia.

Before that I believe they were made in Korea.
Bruce, thanks. I don't have one in front of me, but I own four of the older EPI Masterbilts, one of which is a monster, the only true cannon I have in the barn. These back to the golden years of the AJ-500M. I think those came in roughly from 2000-2010, thereabouts. And I believe those were all made in China.

If no one knows, I'll take a look tomorrow.

I believed they switched to Indonesia after they left China.

scott memmer
Old 07-30-2021, 11:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

whm
Yes, I was pretty certain they were offshore as well, Wade.

According to Sweetwater, it looks like the only EPI flat tops being made in Bozeman are the two Texan models, which retail for $2699.

I really don't like that "E" logo on the pickguard, almost as much as I dislike that funky squared-off pickguard, although I know many who do like them. I seem to recall reading somewhere that that pickguard shape harkens back to Epi's glory days in the 1930s, that it's an exact knock-off. Can't swear to it though. Anyway, me no like.

Take Care, Everyone,
Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-30-2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:

whm
My Epiphone IBG J-200 was made in Indonesia. At least that's what the label on the back of the headstock states. For somewhat obvious reasons, there is no 'E' on the oversized decorative pickguard. And I got the Sunburst model.

My Epiphone EJ-200 was made in Korea. Printed on the internal body label. Samick factory I am led to believe. For some reason, the truss-rod cover has 'Gibson' engraved on it. Bought used, so I don't know if that was always there.

My Gibson J-200 was made in the USA. Nashville, I think. Bought new. I believe each guitar in the entire 90 piece production run that year was made with rosewood B&S. And a scripted "the Gibson" was inlaid diagonally at the top of the headstock.

Two of these do not have onboard electronics. And the third will probably never be plugged in. That's what I kept a Gibson Les Paul for.

Don

Last edited by donlyn; 07-31-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
I would doubt it. Why would they make a guitar that would take away sales from their higher end one?
It's unlikely that the "Inspired by Gibson" models will reduce sales of Gibson. They're targeted at different markets that are primarily determined by differences in disposable income.

In fact, in the long term they could increase Gibson sales as purchasers of Epiphone decide to "upgrade" to the "real thing".

Business are rarely in the business of decreasing turnover and profit.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:10 AM

They are making Epiphone FT-110 Frontiers in Bozeman again. Very expensive though.
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1984 Ibanez JA500 Jumbo acoustic.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10CEQ.
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.
2021 Martin OOO-15M.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

With regard to the factory pickups and the IBG Epiphones, you guys know it’s real easy to replace! The soundhole wheels are held with tape. And the UST comes right out. The factory pickup retails for $20.

The Hummingbird I briefly had lost the factory pup and gained a K&K.

I wouldn’t let an installed pickup keep me from these models, especially the Bird an J45. They are that good. And I thought the J45 was better than the Eastman E10SS. It certainly had better quality control.

Are these Gibsons? No. The Gibsons are superior and have that Gibson dry light airy crisp sound with the thump. But these are still nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion