The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: Are there too many Olympic events?
YES 32 64.00%
NO 18 36.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2021, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Break dancing on tap for '24 in Paris. Local appeal is apparently one of the criteria the IOC uses in event selection.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 08-01-2021, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
It just seems odd for people to complain about the existence of things they're not interested in.
Maybe folks feel that the integrity of the Olympics is diluted by the addition of more contemporary events....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-01-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Maybe folks feel that the integrity of the Olympics is diluted by the addition of more contemporary events....
Man, if I have to sit within earshot of just one more group of people going on and on about the integrity of the Olympics, I swear I'm gonna get off the bus.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
I am a little torn. It does seem a bit over the top, and the comments about the endless "variations" are bang on. So I voted yes, I think there are too many.

The biggest problem I have with the Olympics are the locations and the bidding for them.

I strong support the idea of permanent sites for them. No more boycotts because a bad actor is hosting them, no more insane amounts of money continually wasted (mostly) for building new infrastructure. $50 BILLION for Sochi!!??? Insane. No more other bad actors using hosting to push some other motive.

Deciding the Summer host would be difficult. So many choices.

I am of course biased, but Vancouver could be a good Winter home. 2010 went off well. Lillehammer could be good. If they wanted it. I don't think I could stand it if France got Winter...

But let's face it folks. Olympics left the innocent, we-are-doing-it-for-the sports-and-athletes state decades ago. Non-political? What a joke. There are 335 athletes representing the "Russian Olympic Committee" ROC. A country deliberately and massively cheating. It does not even qualify for a slap on the wrist. Yes, I truly feel sorry for the athletes not involved in Russia. It is too bad. But that should have been the end of it. The country cheated. Period. Oh, and the punishment of a four year ban, now lowered to two years. Joke.
I mostly agree with this. I'd still let the hosting move around but base the selection on the existing facilities. These athletes already compete somewhere. Lets use those facilities instead of building new. In my infinite wisdom as Olympic facility judge, I will allow them to plant some flowers and pick up litter.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:31 AM

I’m reminded of words of wisdom from one of my mentors:

“Who does it hurt?”

Applies to so many things….
Old 08-02-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Break dancing on tap for '24 in Paris. Local appeal is apparently one of the criteria the IOC uses in event selection.
I would like to see tap dancing, although I don't know how dancing would be scored. I guess a panel of judges. But I am a tap dancer, so if they dropped one of those events that I don't do and added tap dance it would be better.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 08-02-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56;6777149
[B
. . .“Who does it hurt?” . . . [/B]
I was about to agree, but then I do think it lowers the value of winning a medal for those who earned it in a harder sport.

Kind of like winning an air-guitar competition.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I was about to agree, but then I do think it lowers the value of winning a medal for those who earned it in a harder sport.

That's a big part of it for me, it dilutes the prestige. The other thing is having that many events to wade through as you try and watch the ones you're interested in...
Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Can you explain this a little further? For instance, how does adding surfing lower the value of being the fastest human on earth in the 100m? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.

Last edited by RedJoker; 08-02-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: words...
Old 08-02-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Should include hide and seek
World Chase Tag is already a 'sport', so maybe it's not too crazy a thought that games like these end up in the Olympics.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:

That's recycled to me a variation on same old nonsense. Fencing, biathlon, sailing and bike racing have have been there for a long time. Trust me with experience in all those how much harder some are than others. I remember being excited about Jean Claude Kily when I was little and people blasting skiing being a popular sport and even being a sport.

At work this AM there were younger people talking about their enjoyment and I've been watching my kids' cohorts. I feel it's for them to like or not like vs my boomer cohort because it's their turn to start running things. In all that I still think how many events has become much but I'm picking other fights these days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic