The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-21-2023, 02:10 PM

Default Your feedback needed: pickguard fell off during shipping

Hello,

I shipped a 70's Harmony H1264 acoustic guitar from France to the UK on Dec 6th. The guitar was put in a hard case which was then safely packed into a shipping box.

The guitar arrived in the UK on Dec 11th. After that, the guitar stayed for almost 2 weeks in a warehouse for customs duties and was eventually delivered on Dec 21st.

To my surprise, and more importantly to the buyer's surprise, the upper pickguard had fallen off the guitar during shipping.

I assume it was the various temperature changes that the guitar experienced during its trip that unglued the guard. Could that be right?

Has anyone experienced such a thing???

Thanks for your feedback
Old 12-21-2023, 05:44 PM

Well at least the pickguard was still in the case. So we can rule out aliens, for now.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:32 PM

I'd chalk that up as a blessing, since I don't need -- or especially like -- most pickguards. Saves you the trouble of removing it.

On a practical level, the guitar probably did not see any major temperature changes. This is 50+ year old adhesive after all. But a few cycles of warm and cold might have helped it to finally let go. Was it one or both bat-wings?
Old 12-22-2023, 02:45 AM

Thanks for your replies.

Yes it was the model with two pickguards, like a large batwing. Only the upper guard fell off. Thanks God it was not broken, so it just needs to be reglued.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:35 AM

I am quite familiar with these old Harmonys, and it is very common for the pickguards to come loose. Naphtha should remove the old adhesive and you can reattach with the 3M adhesive film or other adhesives if you choose.
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair