The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Gibson Hummingbird

Gibson Hummingbird:

How are the new ones quality wise? What color would you get?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:19 AM

1) Very good.

2) I prefer vintage sunburst as the cherryburst is too strong (clownburst).
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Like most Gibsons, try before you buy. They all seem to sound quite different from one to the other. Over the past month I was looking for a new Gibson acoustic. I played 5 or 6 each of the J-45 and J-15 and a couple each of SJ, J-35 and 3 Hummingbirds and a few other models. Each had their own sound, ranging from beautiful to dull.

I actually bought a Hummingbird, but returned it because the pick guard was peeling up. Probably shouldn't have been a big deal but it drove me nuts every time I played it. The sound was good and the rest of the guitar was nicely built and finished. Ended up buying a J-45 at Guitar Center, that was exactly what I was looking for. I was able to play the J-45 along with a Hummingbird and an SJ. It sounded better than the other two. They each played about the same, with similar action setups, but the 45 had "that" sound I wanted.

As far as color I really like the Vintage Sunburst over the bright red Cherry Burst.

Anyways, one man's opinion... Hope it helps and enjoy the search.

Last edited by thomasinaz; 10-19-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:37 AM

I too, much prefer the vintage sunburst Hummingbird. I never really thought much of owning one since the square shoulders just aren’t appealing to me aesthetically. I saw a singer songwriter playing a house guitar in Red River NM a few years ago. It was a Hummingbird and it sounded very good. Then I played a couple in my local shop this past year and both were very good sounding... really good. I am a big fan of Gibson, and over the years I have been blessed to own a J45 and a J200. Another crazy expensive guitar will not be in my future, But I do certainly like Gibson’s Hummingbird model.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:44 AM

Can anybody shed any light on the Epiphone vs Gibson Hummingbirds?

I know they won't be the same......but is it even close?
Old 10-19-2018, 06:51 AM

Oh my God, no.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
Oh my God, no.

That's kinda what I thought...
Old 10-19-2018, 07:13 AM

The Epiphones are definitely different - scale length, laminate back and sides, poly finish, etc. In addition, I saw one at a store earlier this week and it looked to have a thinner body as compared to the Gibson.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Sadly the Epiphone is a far cry from the Gibson. However, AMI guitars has just come to the USA, and their DM SG 5 model is close enough to be very tempting. It is a couple hundred USD more than the Epi, but head and shoulders better sounding, in my opinion. One of our local shops is a new dealer for the AMI brand and just got an SG5 in. It looks great and sounds pretty darn good, much more dynamic sounding than the Epi Hummingbirds I have tried. Here is a comparison between the AMI (which is Sigma outside of the US) and a Gibson Hummingbird. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VCvBbgVLFIo
I admit, I am tempted by the AMI SG5
Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 AM

As I understand, both Epi and Gibson Hummingbird models have 24.75 inch scales. The Dove is 25.5. The AMI SG5 is 24.75
Old 10-19-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
Sadly the Epiphone is a far cry from the Gibson. However, AMI guitars has just come to the USA, and their DM SG 5 model is close enough to be very tempting. It is a couple hundred USD more than the Epi, but head and shoulders better sounding, in my opinion. One of our local shops is a new dealer for the AMI brand and just got an SG5 in. It looks great and sounds pretty darn good, much more dynamic sounding than the Epi Hummingbirds I have tried. Here is a comparison between the AMI (which is Sigma outside of the US) and a Gibson Hummingbird. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VCvBbgVLFIo
I admit, I am tempted by the AMI SG5
Thanks for your input....and the link!!!
Old 10-19-2018, 01:03 PM

You are welcome, Sir. Maybe if Epi did a Masterbilt version of the Hummingbird they would have a winner. I owned one of the Masterbilt AJ45ME models for a while and it was a quite nice guitar that played very well and sounded quite good. That giant pickguard and satin finish on a J45 just was not my favorite though.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
You are welcome, Sir. Maybe if Epi did a Masterbilt version of the Hummingbird they would have a winner. I owned one of the Masterbilt AJ45ME models for a while and it was a quite nice guitar that played very well and sounded quite good. That giant pickguard and satin finish on a J45 just was not my favorite though.
IMHO Gibson is afraid to make the Masterbilt line too good. They are NOT very secure in their own salability factor. They certainly do not want to create internal competition. I believe that is why they gutted the Masterbilt line 7-8 years ago.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-19-2018, 04:07 PM

Hummingbirds are great! Like it was said above, just gotta play a few and see which one jumps out at you. It loves a good break-in too.
Eastman E20P
+ a bunch of electrics...
Old 10-19-2018, 04:12 PM

Cherry burst all the way - that's the only historically accurate color they offer currently.

Montana is making the best guitars today than they ever have. At CME - we go through all of them upon arrival and in the rare event one's a dud - it gets sent back to Montana.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion