The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Oh yes! However, beware of all of the beautiful instruments calling your name! Their siren call is loud and persistent.
This... ha true dat.
.It is the closest really high end store
to me in vt without crossing the border
to go to montreal (which is half the distance) Its a great store with
helpful staff. They let you play anything you want
which is cool. And they have lots of great
instruments. I bought a nice Ellis Mandolin
from them a few years ago and they were
great.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Wow! I can't believe all the replies.........and warnings. I did look at their website and it looks like they have some really very decent guitars. I am heading to Lee, MA in a few weeks and am looking for a few music stores to visit while I am there.

Thanks for all the expert replies.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:28 PM

Definitely make a point to stop by this shop. It's awesome.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I've purchased two or three high end guitars from them over the years from long distance and I've always been pleased with their service. I enjoy watching their in coming used instruments. I've never been to the actual shop but I'd enjoy it a lot based on their usual stock of guitars.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-18-2018, 01:39 PM

They are my local store and I'm spoiled! I agree with all of the above positive comments. The sheer variety of high end instruments they carry is mind-boggling, but they also have some more affordable lines such as Eastman and Blueridge.

If you are into vintage Martins, they often have one or two on consignment.

If you go (and you definitely should!!!), the Mexican restaurant 2 doors down is a good place to get lunch.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Wow! I can't believe all the replies.........and warnings. I did look at their website and it looks like they have some really very decent guitars. I am heading to Lee, MA in a few weeks and am looking for a few music stores to visit while I am there.

I don't know if you want to head down to the Connecticut shore, but if you do, Acousticmusic.org is in Guilford. That's about 2.25 hrs from Lee. They have a two part store - the storefront on Rt 1 has "very nice guitars". The run-down house in the back has "extremely nice" guitars!!!!

Are you bringing your credit card?
Old 10-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I have visited The Music Emporium on line many times, just to drool over all the wonderful instruments they have. I would love to visit their store in person! I have wondered many times where they get all these amazing guitars! Too bad it's on the other side of the continent from me! Or.... maybe this is a good thing!!!

- Glenn
Old 10-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up

I visited there in summer 2017, and bought a used Ryan Abbey they had in stock. Awesome guitar, and Andy Cambria was great to work with. They have a fabulous set of guitars in stock, and are totally cool with folks trying them and taking their time to peruse guitars.

Highly recommended!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:11 PM

I've been in there several times, definitely someplace you would want to pop in if you had a little time on your hands while visiting Boston. I left them a email comment maybe 6-9 months ago stating that having ONE left handed guitar in their inventory was not serving customers particularly well.
It should be noted that they ARE NOT authorized by Martin for repairs. I know someone who brought his Martin there for work and they screwed it up badly. Martin took care of the problem though they were not obliged to do so.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I don't know if you want to head down to the Connecticut shore, but if you do, Acousticmusic.org is in Guilford. That's about 2.25 hrs from Lee. They have a two part store - the storefront on Rt 1 has "very nice guitars". The run-down house in the back has "extremely nice" guitars!!!!

Are you bringing your credit card?
I bought a Used Colllings 000 at TME few months back (after playing a half dozen very fine guitars that had the features I was looking for). Great experience! Yes, it is small...but there is enough room to play the guitars that interest you, and there are LOTS of interesting guitars. DEFINITELY WORTH A VISIT!! Don't get lunch at the little Mexican restaurant a few doors down from them.

AcousticMusic.org is also a very nice place to hang out playing nice guitars, and they also have some very fine instruments. My wife bought me a Collings OM from there about 6 years ago. Delightful!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:12 AM

I've got to check the Music Emporium out someday. Looks like a nice shop!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post

You DO realize that Lee is about two hours away from Lexington, right?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I've dropped a lot of coin at the Music Emporium. It's one of my favorite stores anywhere. I'm in North Carolina now but still consider it a first choice when shopping for a good quality guitar. If I go up to the Boston area for Christmas, I'll probably drop in there. It was the world's #1 Collings dealer and may still be. Plus, it has tons of other stuff, too. If your interests run beyond guitars, they also have great banjos, mandolins, ukuleles, and other stringed instruments. They often have a few truly classic instruments in house, the kind of stuff that's hard to see outside of a museum or private collection. It's a great shop. Service is excellent and prices are highly competitive.

If you're from out-of-state, you can beat the Massachusetts sales tax by having anything you buy shipped to your home address rather than walking out the door with it. Sometimes that can represent a bit of a savings. It can also be more convenient if the Boston area isn't your last stop and you'd prefer not to be taking an instrument with you for the remainder of your journey.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:33 AM

I live 20 minutes from The Music Emporium and have been buying and selling guitars there for decades - starting back at their first store front in Cambridge. As others have said, there is a dizzying array of wonderful instruments and they're quite nice about letting you play them. It's not a huge shop and occasionally it can get pretty noisy with lots of people playing different stuff at the same time, but that's a minor complaint.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 10-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Music Emporium, along with Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz and Gryphon in Palo Alto, are the best acoustic guitars shops I've visited, and I've visited a lot. Mandolin Bros was part of that group, along with The Podium in Minneapolis, now both sadly gone.

Music Emporium has, in my view, the best selection of them all, and a great, warm, welcoming vibe to boot. It is a real challenge to leave that place without something under your arm.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion