The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 07:36 AM

Default Seagull acoustics

Anyone else impressed with these acoustics and the apparent value for money and quality of build? Ive been a gibson and martin snob for the past 10 years and had some good and some great guitars. And some where i have wondered what the fuss was about. Interested in other peoples thoughts
Old 10-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Seagulls are great. I've owed many. Godin's (Seagull's parent company) other brands are equally good: Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, Norman. They're all pretty much the same guitars, with some variations.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:42 AM

I have picked up a number of these at a local shop and am sometimes impressed, other times not so much. But the price/quality ratio is, I think, pretty darn good. Are they Martin or Gibson?" Nope, but most of the guitars I have picked up were selling new for $500 or less.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 AM

I'm a big fan of Seagull/Godin. I think they represent about as good a value as you can get in an acoustic guitar. Alvarez, Yamaha, and others also do an excellent job but all other things being equal I would usually choose a Seagull. I believe the S6 may represent the best value of all. I bought mine used for 250.00 and it is just a fantastic guitar. I have a couple of the Artist Series and I will never get rid of them. They play at the same relative level as some of the more well known makers offerings at 1/3 the price.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ray View Post
Anyone else impressed with these acoustics and the apparent value for money and quality of build? Ive been a gibson and martin snob for the past 10 years and had some good and some great guitars. And some where i have wondered what the fuss was about. Interested in other peoples thoughts
Yes they are quality guitars. I have owned a few. See search results here

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...archid=7666523
Old 10-21-2018, 09:24 AM

Oh yeah,nice guitars for the money,I really like the s6 slim
They sound very good for 400 bucks
Old 10-21-2018, 09:39 AM

I'm a big fan of Seagulls and the Godin brand of guitars. I have 3 S&Ps and 1 La Patrie nylon string.

From what I've heard it's much easier to find a Seagull in the US than a S&P (or Norman and Art & Lutherie). Is this people's experience?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:21 AM

Lots of Seagull/S&P/Norman/LaPatrie/A&L guitars come through my lesson business, and almost without exception they excel, especially the Seagulls.

I bought a Seagull dreadnought and an S&P folk, all mahogany, to live with for a while while I decided if I really liked all mahogany guitars enough to custom order from one of my favourite builders. Ends up the dread is superb and worth keeping, the folk not quite as good but great amplified. I've used the dreadnought for recording a lot more than I expected.

The loaner guitar I keep handy is a solid cedar top Norman. In the past I've had probably a couple of dozen other guitars from the company and three of my current electrics and one of my basses are Godin.

Drove through La Patrie Quebec once on my way home from a music camp gig in Nova Scotia. It's a beautiful part of the world, probably inspiring for those folks who build Seagulls et al.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Godin make some excellent guitars. The $400.00 ones out-perform many others at that price point and their top quality guitars at around $1000.00 are hard to beat for sound and quality.

I especially like the Seagull 12 string. Try one out if your a looking for that chime that good 12 string guitars have.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:42 PM

Several years ago, I would have said that Seagull made the best guitar under $400 without any reservations.

These days, I'd probably put Alvarez or Breedlove (whatever their import line is this week) a bit ahead.

That's not because Seagul/Godin has slipped any, simply that the completion has gotten so good now.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Several years ago, I would have said that Seagull made the best guitar under $400 without any reservations.

These days, I'd probably put Alvarez or Breedlove (whatever their import line is this week) a bit ahead.

That's not because Seagul/Godin has slipped any, simply that the completion has gotten so good now.
I have yet to find a Breedlove to play but I agree on the Alvarez and some might want to throw some Yamaha models in there. I would take some of the Alvarez models first and some of the Seagull's first and would take both of them over the Yamaha's for looks, although tone rules with me first.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM

I guess I like them. I have 5 of them. They all sound pretty darn good.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
Ends up the dread is superb and worth keeping, the folk not quite as good but great amplified.
I'm in 100% agreement on this statement. I picked up a Coastline Folk model a few months back via Craigslist for relatively cheap. I was looking at trying some non-dread models to compare sound and figured it would be a good option. After getting it setup properly and putting on new strings, I was underwhelmed. I'm not sure if I'm just so used to dreads or if there is something lacking on the Coastline, but it's not for me. I'll clean it up and pass it along; hopefully it floats someone else's boat.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 10-22-2018, 03:54 AM

I own 3 Seagulls. Great guitars for the money. Even though I own a beautiful D28, I play my Seagull S6 a lot too. Can't really go wrong with them.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 10-22-2018, 05:02 AM

They are good quality guitars, I have owned them in the past, and currently own an Art & Lutherie 12 string. My only reservation is that supposedly the newer ones have a neck joint that is nearly impossible to take apart if a reset is needed. But the cost of a neck reset may be cost prohibitive anyway for a guitar in this price range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion