The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Humbucker Pickup Clarification

I am going to order a Gibson ES339 and am confused about which pickups to select.

Everything is the same on the models I'm considering except the following:

One model has a 57 Classic Humbucker paired with a 57 Classic Plus Humbucker.

Another model has a MHS II Rhythm humbucker paired with an MHS II Lead humbucker.

What are the differences? The model with the MHS II's adds $200 more on the cost.

The sound I am looking for is a more bluesy, mellow sound.

Last edited by Denandannie; 10-01-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:26 PM

The 57 Classic is one of Gibson's attempts to recreate a 50s era PAF type humbucker, so it's a fairly low wind pickup that is wound evenly (I'll explain later) and gives good high range treble sounds for a humbucker.

The 57 Classic Plus is the same except for it is wound hotter, so a stronger output, easier to distort, and less high end.

Gibson also makes the Burstbucker line of pickups, which are wound unevenly- there is more coil on one half of it than the other. Back in the day, before machines would pickups, all the PAF pickups had this kind of irregularity so it's an attempt to more closely imitate that. Having more wind on one part of the pickup rather than the other is supposed to introduce harmonic irregularities which can add excitement.

The Burstbuckers range from the Pro, low wind, and there is a Burstbucker 1, 2 and 3 if I recall correctly, ranging from lower to higher output accordingly.

If I was going for a bluesy sound, I would probably lean towards the 57 Classic Plus or a Burstbucker 1 or so, something kind of higher wound. That's just a guess, though, don't necessarily take my word for it, I don't play blues and have never owned either of those pickups.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:32 PM

Also, I should add that the Classic '57 and the Plus are Alnico 2 pickups, and the Burstbuckers are Alnico 5 pickups. Look into the differences there, different magnets can be a lot of fun.

I tried to research the MHS pickups ("Memphis Historic Spec") and don't find out much about them. I think I am reading that one of them is Alnico 2 and the other Alnico 3. Can't verify that... people sure seem to like them, though.

Best of luck, hope this was helpful at all.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:42 PM

you are probably best in joining the les paul forum and asking your question there.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/finalframes/frameset.htm

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

The humbucker game can go on ad infinitum and there are A LOT of boutique PAF clones out there. So many it's hard to keep track.

I have played and owned a handful of boutique PAFs. I have also put many, many hours on the '57 Classics and Burstbuckers (2 and 3, in my case). I have found them all to be in the same general territory and the Gibson offerings were certainly just as good in most cases as their boutique equivalents. I have generally found that I like the lower impedance pickups compared to the really hot ones. I had an SG with 57 Classics in both positions and it sounded fantastic. When you go hotter, you get more hair but a bit less articulation. It really depends on the kind of music you're going after.

But, again, all of these pickups are made in the general PAF genre and all will get you pretty close to that sound.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
I am going to order a Gibson ES339 and am confused about which pickups to select.

Everything is the same on the models I'm considering except the following:

One model has a 57 Classic Humbucker paired with a 57 Classic Plus Humbucker.

Another model has a MHS II Rhythm humbucker paired with an MHS II Lead humbucker.

What are the differences? The model with the MHS II's adds $200 more on the cost.

I would go with the 57/57+ combo...I am not familiar with the new Gibon pickup but definitely low output Alnico 2 humbuckers will give you that sound more than a Burstbucker.

Also, you can swap pickups later, always in the Alnico 2 field I liked the SD Alnico 2 pro (those are used by Slash), the Custom Custom (supposedly re-engineered from the overwound PAF Van Halen used), and I also have Tonerider Rocksongs that are excellent but much higher output.

The reason why there are so many PAF like pickups is that in the 50s Gibson was very inconsistent, they used Alnico 2,3,4 and 5 magnets and the wound the coils "until they were full", so they didn't measure the DC resistance, therefore any traditional humbucker with those magnet and a total DC resistance from 6.5 to 8.5 kOhm approximately, with even or mismatched coils can claim to have the "PAF tone".
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 10-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Default You Tube Examples

I found a You Tube example of a 57 Classic, a MHS and another brand I don't remember. He played in the Bridge, Middle and Neck with each pickup. For the life of me I couldn't tell the difference in any of them. I'll probably go with the 57 Classic, if for nothing else, its $200 less.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I love the '57 Classics in my ES-335 and SG.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I found a You Tube example of a 57 Classic, a MHS and another brand I don't remember. He played in the Bridge, Middle and Neck with each pickup. For the life of me I couldn't tell the difference in any of them. I'll probably go with the 57 Classic, if for nothing else, its $200 less.

Thanks for your insight.

Youyube videos are misleading sometimes, it's always better to play a guitar and hear with your own ears...I have tried all the PUs I mentioned in my Les Paul and they were all different. Of course the original ceramics my Classic came with were even more different.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
It will depend on your amplifier, but generally speaking, the lower (stock) wind will give you better articulation and greater dynamic range. Hot pickups don’t sound as good at lower gains, and mush out much faster with increasing gain.

George
Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
It will depend on your amplifier, but generally speaking, the lower (stock) wind will give you better articulation and greater dynamic range. Hot pickups don’t sound as good at lower gains, and mush out much faster with increasing gain.
It's sufficient to listen to George Lynch's clean sound that he obtained from a SD distortion with big ceramic magnets...or any Bill lawrence PU like the L90 and L500.

'11 Martin HD-28V
'20 Guild F-512 MPL

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-01-2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 10-02-2018, 04:46 PM

I've got '57 classics in one of my Les Pauls and SGs. It's a well respected Alnico II pickup. Many find it the best in the Gibson lineup. Handles gain well but not really well in the metal territory. I think the '57 classic will meet the bluesy sound you're looking for (although you still need a good amp).

I've never played a Memphis Historic Spec pickup before but coincidentally I was reading about it in my Sweetwater catalog so I know the guitar you're talking about. In fact, I've never heard of that pickup before that reading.

Steve D may know something about them but like muscmp mentioned above you may want to check out a Les Paul forum. I am glad you asked the question here though because I'd like to learn about these pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars