The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
The best contribution so far. Define over priced and from whose perspective? Something is over priced if it fails to sell. Clearly thats not the case here. The buyer thinks the product is worth what they are paying, otherwise they wouldn't be buying it, the manufacturer makes a good profit and the business thrives. Doesn't matter if it's guitars, cars, houses or widgets.
Exactly. One of my pet peeves is the misuse of the word "overpriced." What people really mean by that is that it's more than they personally want to spend or is out of their budget. Well, I personally don't want to spend $80,000 on a car, nor can I (within my means), but that doesn't mean an $80,000 is "over-priced." It just means it's not that valuable to me and that I can't afford it even if it were.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:53 PM

To me "overpriced", means you can get exactly the same thing for less money.
If Taylors are overpriced or not depends on your personal view on what is close to the same as Taylor. For example I can get a Eastman or a Taylor spruce/rosewood/ebony guitar that has largely the same woods/materials.
Is the Eastman = to the Taylor in sound, playability and quality, etc? That's a personal opinion. A lot will also depend on every individual's guitar budget and playing needs.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Outstanding, used Taylor guitar prices aren’t overpriced IF you take your time to find the right one. There are some great deals out there to be had!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
To me "overpriced", means you can get exactly the same thing for less money.
If Taylors are overpriced or not depends on your personal view on what is close to the same as Taylor. For example I can get a Eastman or a Taylor spruce/rosewood/ebony guitar that has largely the same woods/materials.
Is the Eastman = to the Taylor in sound, playability and quality, etc? That's a personal opinion. A lot will also depend on every individual's guitar budget and playing needs.
The problem with that definition is that the only thing exactly like a Taylor is...a Taylor. "Largely" the same is not "exactly." The actual meaning of "overpriced" is that the product is priced too high for the target market. In other words, it's priced such that the total sales generate revenue less than it would be were the price lower. "Overpriced" is a big-picture economic concept, whereas "not worth it to me personally" is what people usually mean when they use that word (wrongly, imo).
Old 10-24-2018, 02:21 PM

My dealer treats me well. I bought a Taylor T3/B at a Road Show for about $1,200 with an upgraded top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion