The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Which pickup do you recommend? Passive or active? Choose 1 PU & Active or Passive
Schatten HFN 11 44.00%
JJB (please specify which diameter in the text reply) 1 4.00%
K&K pure mini- Ignore the rumors about boominess 5 20.00%
Other pickup (specify which, & in reply reasons for your choice over the others) 7 28.00%
Passive version (of your pickup selection) 9 36.00%
Active version (of your pickup selection 1 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Narrowing down pickup choices

I've got a 1972 D35 that when I've gigged I've been using a magnetic soundhole pickup. Aside from being ugly it has an external wire and a typical good, but magnetic pickup sound. I've hemmed and hawed and want to finally make a decision on which pickup/system to install. I defintely don't want a pickup in the soundhole or anything that will be obtrusive. A thumbwheel volume/tone control in the soundhole is acceptable.

K&K is extremely popular, but I'm told that it can be a bit boomy and this D35 has a ton of low end. The alternative to that is the JJB, which is a similar design but purportedly "tighter" sounding. The last is the Schatten HFN.

Within these choices is whether or not to go passive or active internally. I already own a LR Baggs GigPro preamp, which is just your basic pocket sized preamp with two band EQ.

So what do you say? Which of these pickups? is there another that I'm missing that I'll kick myself if I don't buy? Internally passive or active?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 07-20-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I've used the JJB (15mm) before and while they work okay the extra $ for the K&K is my choice. It has more natural passive output but like all passive pickups will work much better with a good preamp/DI. I used the Schatten HFN passive once and it was almost opposite of the K&K in that it was very much high end oriented where the K&K is more bottom end but the K&K is controllable. Just got to dial back the bass response to maybe 10:00 or 11:00 on your acoustic amp, PA, or preamp if it has EQ.
All that being said...the Schatten might work well with your D-35 because they are very bass dominant. The Schatten has about 1/2 to 2/3 of the normal output of the K&K IME so you'll need to use a preamp possibly with boost to compensate for that lesser output.
Any of the three will work. It's a shame there's not a way to try one or the other first?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-20-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I've used the JJB (15mm) before and while they work okay the extra $ for the K&K is my choice. It has more natural passive output but like all passive pickups will work much better with a good preamp/DI. I used the Schatten HFN passive once and it was almost opposite of the K&K in that it was very much high end oriented where the K&K is more bottom end but the K&K is controllable. Just got to dial back the bass response to maybe 10:00 or 11:00 on your acoustic amp, PA, or preamp if it has EQ.
All that being said...the Schatten might work well with your D-35 because they are very bass dominant. The Schatten has about 1/2 to 2/3 of the normal output of the K&K IME so you'll need to use a preamp possibly with boost to compensate for that lesser output.
Any of the three will work. It's a shame there's not a way to try one or the other first?
Thank you for the comprehensive review. But doesn't JJB recommend the 20mm sensors?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-20-2019, 03:08 PM

I voted other.

My pickup of choice is the Dazzo. It’s passive unless younpair it with a Sunnaudio Tone Driver.

The Dazzo is a SBT. It is glued on by epoxy and soon will have a rape option. Dazzos can be chosen to balance your guitars voice so the result is a balanced sound out of the speaker. No EQ needed to fix your sound before you have to adjust for taste. It is piezo based but it is surprisingly mic like. I like the fact that it amplifies the body taps as well. Call Teddy and he will personally guide you through installation and pickup choice.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-20-2019, 03:31 PM

I have a Fishman Matrix Infinity in one of my guitars, it never fails to sound good. I have a K&K in another guitar, it takes mid range eq'ing to sound good. It's a love hate thing for me. When it sounds good it sounds real good.

Lately I've had an itch for a Fishman Eclipse Matrix Blend system. I will most likely get one very soon, the itch is reaching the point of needing a good scratch. It will replace the K&K pup.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-20-2019, 03:58 PM

I voted Schatten passive since we have 3 in the family, and probably more in the future.

My favorite by a small margin is the Dazzo. It just seems to have a little more of everything good I hear in the HFN. Higher priced and somewhat more involved installation-wise.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-20-2019, 06:16 PM

I've been a K&K fan for a long time. I recently tried the new Schatten HFN (ABS plastic adhered with tape) pickups and I am a fan. They really need a preamp and can't really be used direct in a pinch like K&K. But, the quality of the highs and mids is better to my ears. That said, HFN can produce too many highs without the proper preamp to roll them off. I am using passive K&K in two guitars with a ToneDexter and other preamps. And, I have the Schatten HFN VT active system in the D-28 Modern Deluxe. I am considering switching the K&K in the 12 string to the HFN VT Active. I also really like Dazzo pickups. They are epoxied in and have the ability to fine tune the bass response via selection.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I voted "Other" because I've found the Trance Amulet M-VT to be a well-balanced, consistently reliable tonal installation in several installs. This pickup/preamp system works well with a ToneDexter or LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 PM

I voted other. Without knowing the guitar, playing style, sound system, venue/volume levels required, and how often the guitar will be played all have some say in the matter. Also, how invasive of an install is allowable on the guitar.

So for those reasons, I went a semi-permanent route that is versatile. Seymour Duncan magmic.

Fingerstyle players are covered, heavy strummers (like me) can add some compression and blend in as much mic as the PA/amp will take before feedback and get a good sound. Percussive playing is covered.

Non-invasive install, aside from battery box/bag. My 2c. I love the one on my Eastman E1OM. As long as I'm running a bit of compression and blend in at least 30% of the mic is get a terrific sound.

(Should've read first post first, oops; regardless, the mag mic sounds pretty good for me)
Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I've been a K&K fan for a long time. I recently tried the new Schatten HFN (ABS plastic adhered with tape) pickups and I am a fan. They really need a preamp and can't really be used direct in a pinch like K&K. But, the quality of the highs and mids is better to my ears. That said, HFN can produce too many highs without the proper preamp to roll them off. I am using passive K&K in two guitars with a ToneDexter and other preamps. And, I have the Schatten HFN VT active system in the D-28 Modern Deluxe. I am considering switching the K&K in the 12 string to the HFN VT Active. I also really like Dazzo pickups. They are epoxied in and have the ability to fine tune the bass response via selection.
Thanks for the reply. I think at this moment I'm leaning toward the Schatten VT Active. While the Dazzo might be overall better, by the time you buy the pickup and get a GOOD preamp or blender DI you're getting close to $500. The Schatten is sold everywhere for about $150. I like the installation simplicity of the Schatten as well. I'm not up for messing with epoxy inside my 48 year old guitar.

One question about the Schatten VT active... Where does the battery go? What kind of batteries does it use?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think at this moment I'm leaning toward the Schatten VT Active. While the Dazzo might be overall better, by the time you buy the pickup and get a GOOD preamp or blender DI you're getting close to $500. The Schatten is sold everywhere for about $150. I like the installation simplicity of the Schatten as well. I'm not up for messing with epoxy inside my 48 year old guitar.

One question about the Schatten VT active... Where does the battery go? What kind of batteries does it use?
I put the battery of the Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 on the back of my Martin D-18 at the treble-bout. The Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 can be powered by either a battery or phantom power. Why not consider the Trance Amulet M systems with onboard preamp which, depending on the options, can have Volume and Tone controls, and either be battery or phantom powered? I've got all the above systems so feel free to ask questions.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

I recently picked up a guitar with an LR Baggs lyric. Have not had a chance to use it in the wild yet, but at home it sounds amazing.

Until now I have been a K&K dual source fan for years. I have both the external 2 channel pre and in one guitar I have the on aboard 2 channel pre amp. Having the option to blend a bit of mic into the mini adds a nice bit or air into the sound.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-21-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I've been a K&K fan for a long time. I recently tried the new Schatten HFN (ABS plastic adhered with tape) pickups and I am a fan. They really need a preamp and can't really be used direct in a pinch like K&K.
I use a preamp with my passive HFNs because I want controls handy. For me an HFN plugs direct to a guitar amp without any issues. But here is the cheap option that sounds as good as my other pedals and sits on my living room floor to use with my CP8 when its not at a gig: Tomsline 5 band guitar EQ at $29.99. I've got a second one in my gig bag as a backup.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I put the battery of the Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 on the back of my Martin D-18 at the treble-bout. The Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 can be powered by either a battery or phantom power. Why not consider the Trance Amulet M systems with onboard preamp which, depending on the options, can have Volume and Tone controls, and either be battery or phantom powered? I've got all the above systems so feel free to ask questions.
It's funny how none of the Schatten photos show a battery line. One would thik by the photos that a AAA might be placed in the long tube connected to the end jack.

The Trance Amulet system sounds wonderful, until you see the price of $319 to get two pickups a preamp and a volume/tone control. If this guitar were gigged every week I would consider such an expense. I was thinking around $100... but $150 for the Schatten VST or an upgraded version of the K&K might be ok... I dunno. It's all a gamble, no?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Default Narrowing down pickup choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
It's funny how none of the Schatten photos show a battery line. One would thik by the photos that a AAA might be placed in the long tube connected to the end jack.

The Trance Amulet system sounds wonderful, until you see the price of $319 to get two pickups a preamp and a volume/tone control. If this guitar were gigged every week I would consider such an expense. I was thinking around $100... but $150 for the Schatten VST or an upgraded version of the K&K might be ok... I dunno. It's all a gamble, no?

I don’t think the Schatten is a gamble. It’s $150 and installs with tape. Again, until recently, I wasn’t a fan of this pickup. But, once he changed to ABS plastic and started using tape for the install, I liked the sound difference. And, it seems to fit your needs. Trance may be a bit cleaner sounding, but that value might be lost if you’re not gigging this guitar very often.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification