The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
The encourage to practice excuse is commonly cited reason for upgrading to a more expensive instrument. While here on an enthusiast page the percentages may be higher, I find this way more often than not doesn't work. An expensive guitar is just as likely to wind up in the closet as an inexpensive one for most folks. Either you are encouraged and inspired to play or you are not. That comes from within you.

The practice bump you get from spending money is typically short lived. While the lifer sentiment has merit, any guitar can and will become a lifer if you dedicate yourself to it. So first thought is use what you got. Make sure it is set up to play well and focus on musical goals, not guitar buying goals.

And I am all for buying when you want to buy. Just don't expect it to turn your practice around for long. It is really simpler than you think. Solid wood, gloss finish in a size that you find comfortable and looks good to you. Cutaway is totally optional for all but a rare few acoustic players.

hunter
I would agree that the bump in enthusiasm with a new guitar can be short lived, however it can also be a stimulus to a player to really enjoy playing more even in the long term. So while I don't think a beginner should see how much they can spend right away, it's always helpful to have a guitar they appreciate to help with the desire to play more. In the OP's case, he does have a specific time frame to get something nice, and may not have the opportunity to for awhile after that, so it's not a typical beginner situation for him/her.

As for the cutaway, I agree that it shouldn't be a requirement for most guitarist. The truth is, no acoustic guitar sounds great past the 12th, maybe 14th fret. Sure, there are some songs that require access up there, but very few really, and none worthy of limiting one's selection to just guitars with cutaways. Personally, I don't even like the look as much, I think a regular guitar shape is nicer between the two styles. But regardless of the look, if you don't know you'll be playing up there, then you probably won't be.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
My reasoning for using the thumb for upstrokes and index finger (perhaps with one or two more fingers for support) for downstrokes is that you have the hard surface of the nail sliding over the strings, much like a pick. I think that is the way they do it in Flamenco, too.

At least for me, using the soft pad of the finger for strumming is much harder because that side doesn't slide over the strings as easily. It becomes less consistent.
Oh I knew why you were saying it. And you're right, it is less consistent. But it has become sort of habitual so I am working at making it more consistent.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
When did buying an acoustic guitar become so confusing? Just because you have just discovered that it can be does not mean that it hasn't always been so. Christopher Columbus was credited with "discovering" the Americas when to point of fact it had always been there.

Jeeze, per your OP you come from the electric guitar world and then claim that the acoustic guitar world is confusing?
Electric is simple - Les Paul (Historic), 335, Tele, a Marshall amp (JCM800), and a Fender amp (Twin). Done. Finished. Nothing else needed ever!!!
Old 05-19-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Are you asking or is that a dangling quote from someone else's question?
Dangling quote. My mistake.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
At this price point for a USED Martin D-28 I would highly recommend you call two of are forum sponsors and ask them there price on a NEW D-28 or HD-28 ( SERIOUSLY )

Jon at my favorite guitars

Maury at Maury's Music

These guys are great people to work with, tell them that you are a member here at AGF. There are many forum members here and on UMGF that have praised how happy they were in dealing with them.

Good idea, thanks. But I am in Canada so also have to factor in the exchange rate, import duties, shipping, etc.

I just checked Maury's website and, if I went with a Martin, they cannot ship them outside of the US.

Last edited by colchar; 05-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
focus on musical goals, not guitar buying goals.
What I find does help: window shopping for something you'll allow yourself to buy when you've become good enough to justify the expense

But the trade-offs are somewhat different if you're in the OP's position where you can afford a better instrument now but possibly no longer in a foreseeable time frame. Then there's nothing wrong with buying an instrument that is the least likely to become limiting and the most likely to accomodate evolving tastes.

The risk here is that you do not yet have the technique required to make that better instrument sound noticeably better than your current instrument (or to adapt your playing "instantly" to make the most of an unfamiliar instrument). This is the reason why you usually get to take 1 or 2 violins home with you for a few days or even weeks when searching for a new one (in the Netherlands, at least). I have the impression that's not really usual when buying a guitar, correct?

Quote:
But I am in Canada so also have to factor in the exchange rate, import duties, shipping, etc.
I can't remember if you planned to hold on to your current guitar, but if not you could consider driving to one of those shops if any are sufficiently close. They might be interested in and give you a discount for your current guitar, and from the customs point of view you just took a trip with a guitar

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

Last edited by RJVB; 05-19-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Depending on how you feel about maintenance, I’ll throw another wrinkle, what about a carbon fiber guitar. Played a gig today with my Rainsong H-OM, I love that guitar. I’ve got a, 8 series Taylor and a couple of customs, the Rainsong is my most played acoustic. No maintenance, other than the initial setup and new strings, no worries about temperature or humidity, and I think it sounds great. Plenty of volume, comfortable size, it does everything I need.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
At this price point for a USED Martin D-28 I would highly recommend you call two of are forum sponsors and ask them there price on a NEW D-28 or HD-28 ( SERIOUSLY )

Jon at my favorite guitars

Maury at Maury's Music

These guys are great people to work with, tell them that you are a member here at AGF. There are many forum members here and on UMGF that have praised how happy they were in dealing with them.
He is talking Canadian dollars, so is actually saying about $1700 or so in US dollars. I think that the exchange rate is about seventy-five cents us to one Canadian.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
I would agree that the bump in enthusiasm with a new guitar can be short lived, however it can also be a stimulus to a player to really enjoy playing more even in the long term. So while I don't think a beginner should see how much they can spend right away, it's always helpful to have a guitar they appreciate to help with the desire to play more. In the OP's case, he does have a specific time frame to get something nice, and may not have the opportunity to for awhile after that, so it's not a typical beginner situation for him/her.
Couple of thoughts. It is not about being a beginner. Many long timers get stuck in the new cow for inspiration rut as a substitute for enthusiasm for practice and playing. It is almost always a short lived stimulus. I happen to think an LL6 *is* a nice guitar. A properly set up LL6 will play as good as any guitar. And sound good along the way. And it is not about being a good enough player to justify the expense. If that was a criteria, most of us would not own the guitars we do own.

So the OP already has a nice guitar. Well worth respecting and appreciating. Just not an expensive guitar. It is capable of being played as good as a guitar can be played. I remember seeing Mark O'Conner in his guitar days playing a Tak. Certainly not the expensive stuff but believe me, he played it.

So buy because you want it. No issue there. We all do it if we can. But odds are good it won't raise your inspiration over the long haul.

hunter
Old 05-19-2019, 06:36 PM

Default When Did Buying An Acoustic Become So Confusing???

You should only listen to the salesman. Listening to anyone else only makes it confusing.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Then my advice is to continue playing "guitars". Not dreads, OM's, GC's, GA's - or any other specific size. Just play until you find a guitar that rocks you and your socks. In other words, buy something you really like.
This ↑↑↑ is my favorite response, and how I would have answered. The process may take some time, however, but the rewards of getting the right guitar are worth the patience invested.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 PM

I didn't read any of the replies as there were far too many. But I have a universal piece of advice... FORGET ABOUT ALL THE ADVICE... (except this )

Go play a TON of guitars. Spend time. I'd say at least several weeks. Maybe a month or two. Don't buy anything on impulse but take your time to get acquainted with what sounds great and feels good. Don't worry about whether it's a dread, OM, Mahogany, Maple, Taylor, Martin, Gibson, ChengWah, whatever. It doesn't matter. When it's right, you'll know and pull the trigger. Impatience, advice and wanting to "become part of the brand X club" cause so many of us to make less than ideal purchases. If you find THE ONE, money doesn't even matter because it won't be something you'll want to sell, flip or trade any time soon. I've always shopped for acoustics this way and still have every one I've ever purchased.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Couple of thoughts. It is not about being a beginner. Many long timers get stuck in the new cow for inspiration rut as a substitute for enthusiasm for practice and playing. It is almost always a short lived stimulus. I happen to think an LL6 *is* a nice guitar. A properly set up LL6 will play as good as any guitar. And sound good along the way. And it is not about being a good enough player to justify the expense. If that was a criteria, most of us would not own the guitars we do own.

So the OP already has a nice guitar. Well worth respecting and appreciating. Just not an expensive guitar. It is capable of being played as good as a guitar can be played. I remember seeing Mark O'Conner in his guitar days playing a Tak. Certainly not the expensive stuff but believe me, he played it.

So buy because you want it. No issue there. We all do it if we can. But odds are good it won't raise your inspiration over the long haul.

hunter
Ok, I wasn't familiar with the LL6, so I looked up the info on it. Looks like it would be a perfectly fine guitar to "just play" and not need anything else really. Of course, I'm not hearing one, or playing one, just assuming from the info online and here. So given that, I'll agree, to upgrade is something one might want to do, but it's not going to make a big difference in how much you are inspired to play.

Although, I do find a strong desire to play my nicer guitars over the lesser models. So there is something in having a really nice guitar. If not, it wouldn't matter which guitar I played. I would just play any guitar at anytime, whichever is nearby maybe, which is not the case for me. I will walk past one guitar to pickup the one I want to play, and it's usually the nicer one. About the only reason I might pick up another one is if I have it in a different tuning and I don't want to bother retuning a guitar.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post

Go play a TON of guitars. Spend time. I'd say at least several weeks. Maybe a month or two. Don't buy anything on impulse but take your time to get acquainted with what sounds great and feels good. Don't worry about whether it's a dread, OM, Mahogany, Maple, Taylor, Martin, Gibson, ChengWah, whatever. It doesn't matter. When it's right, you'll know and pull the trigger.
This is also what I would recommend. I know when GAS hits there is an urge to make a decision, but there is no substitute for playing as many guitars as you can get your hands on.

I am all for getting the best instrument you can afford. There is nothing wrong with having an instrument that offers nuance you might not use immediately, and there is no such thing as too good a sound. Get what you like and enjoy the heck out of it.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-20-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I didn't read any of the replies as there were far too many. But I have a universal piece of advice... FORGET ABOUT ALL THE ADVICE... (except this )

Go play a TON of guitars. Spend time. I'd say at least several weeks. Maybe a month or two. Don't buy anything on impulse but take your time to get acquainted with what sounds great and feels good. Don't worry about whether it's a dread, OM, Mahogany, Maple, Taylor, Martin, Gibson, ChengWah, whatever. It doesn't matter. When it's right, you'll know and pull the trigger. Impatience, advice and wanting to "become part of the brand X club" cause so many of us to make less than ideal purchases. If you find THE ONE, money doesn't even matter because it won't be something you'll want to sell, flip or trade any time soon. I've always shopped for acoustics this way and still have every one I've ever purchased.

Good luck.
I don’t expect this great advice to be taken but along with another post advising essentially the same thing, it should be followed to the letter.

The rest is noise that further contributes to the “confusion”.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion