The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Incredible race!

The battle between Lewis and Max, and then the tyre change, those last twenty laps was edge of the seat stuff.

Great decision by Mercedes, nothing to lose and it paid dividends.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Incredible race!

The battle between Lewis and Max, and then the tyre change, those last twenty laps was edge of the seat stuff.

Hi, yes, edge of seat (well sofa) thing.

I was delighted to see Mad Max get pole and he really did very well with a very mature drive, but there is no doubt - the last minute Mercedes tyre change strategy won the race.

Fascinating stuff. poor old Bottas !

Kinda good to see old man (?) Vettel steal the last podium fro LeClerc - he is a serious challenge to Seb who might have got his mojo back, but it is now a three team race to the top and that is a good thing.

Max is ahead of Seb in the points, and challenging Valtteri for second place.

It is quite significant that almost all the "others" were lapped twice!
Summer break now, Belgium at the end of the month, or beginning of next however you see it.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, yes, edge of seat (well sofa) thing.

I was delighted to see Mad Max get pole and he really did very well with a very mature drive, but there is no doubt - the last minute Mercedes tyre change strategy won the race.

Fascinating stuff. poor old Bottas !

Kinda good to see old man (?) Vettel steal the last podium fro LeClerc - he is a serious challenge to Seb who might have got his mojo back, but it is now a three team race to the top and that is a good thing.

Max is ahead of Seb in the points, and challenging Valtteri for second place.

It is quite significant that almost all the "others" were lapped twice!
Summer break now, Belgium at the end of the month, or beginning of next however you see it.
I'm also glad to see Max settling down. I think old Max would have been ranting after that race and blaming the team. New Max seemed energized by the racing and enjoyed being in the mix. Obviously disappointed with second place, but he was amazingly nonchalant about being out strategized by Mercedes.

Hindsight is easy of course, but I don't understand why Red Bull didn't box him right after Lewis. They surely could have predicted tire degradation and Lewis' almost certain overtake in the last laps by operating at status quo.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
I'm also glad to see Max settling down. I think old Max would have been ranting after that race and blaming the team. New Max seemed energized by the racing and enjoyed being in the mix. Obviously disappointed with second place, but he was amazingly nonchalant about being out strategized by Mercedes.

Hindsight is easy of course, but I don't understand why Red Bull didn't box him right after Lewis. They surely could have predicted tire degradation and Lewis' almost certain overtake in the last laps by operating at status quo.
Hi, the sky guys challenged Christian Horner (the Red Bull team manager) who replied that had they pitted Max even a lap after Lewis, they estimated that he would have lost too much time and could not have caught and overtaken Lewis.

We'll never know.

To be fair, Lewis probably wouldn't have been too easy to catch and pass.

Fact is Mercedes took a big gamble which paid off and Red Bull didn't. Stuff happens.

The second half of this season will be exciting.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, the sky guys challenged Christian Horner (the Red Bull team manager) who replied that had they pitted Max even a lap after Lewis, they estimated that he would have lost too much time and could not have caught and overtaken Lewis.

We'll never know.

To be fair, Lewis probably wouldn't have been too easy to catch and pass.

Fact is Mercedes took a big gamble which paid off and Red Bull didn't. Stuff happens.

The second half of this season will be exciting.
Yes sir, and no doubt, I am a better armchair strategist than a real strategist, but I still think RB could have predicted this situation. It became clear to us viewers well before the end of the race and apparently it was clear to Max well before us. It would have been fascinating to see Max pop some Mediums on, or wait and pop some softs on and make a fight of it at the end.

at any rate, I'm loving these last few races - they have been fantastic for the sport and 3 different teams on the podium is just what we need.

Now, if my countryman Daniel R could find some form, I'd sure be happy
Line 6 Helix.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Incredible race!

I agree. Absolutely brilliant tactical move by Hamilton's team. It was like one of those situations in chess where you force your opponent into a defense that doesn't play out until the final moves of the end game. If the Max changes tires right after Lewis, he loses right then and there. If he doesn't, he still loses...it just takes longer.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
If the [sic] Max changes tires right after Lewis, he loses right then and there. If he doesn't, he still loses...it just takes longer.
Unless Max' tires did hold our, which was unlikely.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:45 AM

My wife and I "cut the cable" about 2-3 years ago so I have no way of watching the races but I did just finish the Netflix series "Drive to Survive" as many others have mentioned.

I must admit I'd never really given F1 much more than a passing, "Boy, those cares look cool." But after seeing the series I have to say I am very impressed at these young drivers' driving skill and complete lack of fear.

When I came across this thread I was a little surprised to find I recognized many of the drivers' names you all mention but I was still in the middle of binge-watching the Netflix series.

For those who watch regularly I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a couple questions:

1. Why do the crews cover the tires until just before the race begins?
2. When the cars pit, do they not receive more fuel or do they race on just the
one tank-full? (A 3 second pit stop is pretty fast. How could you get gas AND tires in that short of a time period.)
3. Is it normal for the drivers to be so young? I mean, 18-19 years old and being paid millions to drive million dollar (euro) cars at 200+mph seems pretty remarkable.

I hope Netflix is filming this season as well so those of us who cannot see the races on TV can catch them in "re-runs" on Netflix.

Thank you,
PJ
Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
My wife and I "cut the cable" about 2-3 years ago so I have no way of watching the races but I did just finish the Netflix series "Drive to Survive" as many others have mentioned.

I must admit I'd never really given F1 much more than a passing, "Boy, those cares look cool." But after seeing the series I have to say I am very impressed at these young drivers' driving skill and complete lack of fear.

When I came across this thread I was a little surprised to find I recognized many of the drivers' names you all mention but I was still in the middle of binge-watching the Netflix series.

For those who watch regularly I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a couple questions:

1. Why do the crews cover the tires until just before the race begins?
2. When the cars pit, do they not receive more fuel or do they race on just the
one tank-full? (A 3 second pit stop is pretty fast. How could you get gas AND tires in that short of a time period.)
3. Is it normal for the drivers to be so young? I mean, 18-19 years old and being paid millions to drive million dollar (euro) cars at 200+mph seems pretty remarkable.

I hope Netflix is filming this season as well so those of us who cannot see the races on TV can catch them in "re-runs" on Netflix.

Thank you,
PJ
1 The tyres are in "blankets" to keep them warm. They operate best at high temps, so if they're already hot they're more efficient from the start.

2 One tank of fuel. Carefully calculated for the track and conditions to ensure fuel weight is kept to a minimum. In the past refueling was an integral part of strategy.

3 there are a few particularly young drivers at the moment. I think historically, early twenties would be considered average for F1. Bear in mind these kids have probably been Kart racing from a young age and have worked up to F1 from other series. F2, etc. They're already used to driving cars very fast on the same circuits as F1. They also spend a lot of hours training in simulators (think highly accurate video game that mimics the various tracks and car characteristics)

The ones who get to F1 are the cream of crop. Most won't make it, but will often go into the various other forms of Motorsport. Even those who show promise often fall by the wayside, as in any sport, some who have evident talent just can't hack it at the highest level.

Last edited by Silurian; 08-07-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post

PJ
If you want to watch some F1 related films/documentaries then the Senna documentary from 2010 is interesting and the film 'Rush' that concentrates on the 1976 battle between James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

But a must for all F1 fans is a film/Documentary from last year called 'Williams' which follows the life and career of Frank Williams and the Williams F1 team. Excellent program and very emotional.

YouTube
Old 09-01-2019, 07:39 PM

Belgium Grand Prix and Vettel's worst dreams just became reality!
Beaten by his younger, faster and substantially cheaper team mate.
Congratulations to Leclerc - pole position and race winner.

Lewis ran 2nd and it looks to me like he actually enjoys a challenge, not from his own team mate like Nico Rosberg in 2016 but he seems OK with it coming from another team. Pushes him. Gives him incentive.

Max crashed out at the first corner.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Belgium Grand Prix and Vettel's worst dreams just became reality!
Beaten by his younger, faster and substantially cheaper team mate.
Congratulations to Leclerc - pole position and race winner.
It was just a matter of time, and I'm sure Vettel knew that, too.

If it weren't for some unfortunate "glitches", LeClerc would have won his first race months ago.

Back in Vettel's RedBull days he would have been a real jerk about it, but from what I saw today, he didn't seem to have any trouble accepting the inevitable.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
It was just a matter of time, and I'm sure Vettel knew that, too.

If it weren't for some unfortunate "glitches", LeClerc would have won his first race months ago.

Back in Vettel's RedBull days he would have been a real jerk about it, but from what I saw today, he didn't seem to have any trouble accepting the inevitable.
I've been loving the last few races - some genuine drama in the racing. And of course, utter tragedy in F2 this weekend.

I'm happy for Leclerc - he raced very well. I think Toto was right that 'a couple more laps' may have done it for Lewis.

Also, why leave Daniel R out so long on one set of tires? Makes no sense and watching everyone pass him at the end was painful.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post

Also, why leave Daniel R out so long on one set of tires? Makes no sense and watching everyone pass him at the end was painful.
I read where his Renault was hit in the rear early in the race and suffered some floor damage but you're right, poor team strategy isn't going to help him.

Albon in the 2nd Red Bull did a great job too - 17th to 5th.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-02-2019, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

Raikonnen's collision with Verstappen, served to ruin the race for many.
There was a concertina effect which took many out of serious contention.
all credit to Charle Leclerc, but on a very overshadowed day.
However, for those who avoided Raikkonnen - action (albeit unintended - but careless) it was a good race on a traditionally dangerous track.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic