The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Ready to try carbon fiber. Suggestions?

I need a new guitar for camping. My 50 year old laminate Aria nylon just isn't cutting it anymore. My wife, mistress of polite understatement, has mentioned that it's not my best-sounding guitar. Most of our camping is high altitude and dry, so I was thinking carbon fiber.

I could listen to YT samples, but it's not the same as actually holding/playing a guitar.

What was your impression the first time you played a carbon fiber guitar?

Which carbon fiber sounds most like a wood guitar? Or which one sounds best in its own right?

Probably going after a 000 or smaller to save space.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:40 AM

This AGF forum member's Blackbird:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=477975
Old 11-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Anticipation Junkie

The first thing you should do is frequent the AGF Carbon Fiber subforum to learn about the various models from quality builders such as RainSong, Emerald, Blackbird, Composite Acoustics, Journey, Leviora. Each offers guitars in various sizes including parlor/travel, and each has their own unique voice and build approach and materials. For example, Blackbird is producing guitars with a proprietary material called ekoa which is a linen. Emerald offers exotic wood veneers as tops fused to the Carbon fiber. Composite guitars are an exciting new era in quality, troublefree instruments. Check ‘em out and ask all the questions you want in the CF subforum.

Although some like Composite Acoustics and Blackbird are known for having s9mewhat of a woody sound, composite guitars can have their own voice that is as good (some might say better) than wood. Don’t limit yourself, go into it with an open mind and enjoy the journey. Also, don’t go into the CF world thinking these are cheap, entry level guitars at low/affordable prices. Composite build mediums are expensive and the builders are quality craftsmen. Prices range from about $1k - $5k.

My first composite guitar was in ‘08, a Composite Acoustics Cargo. It was a leap of faith as can still the be the case because Composite builders are boutique enterprises. Despite this, as you will read, most if not all here who have taken the leap are very satisfied.

Hope to see you in the CF forum! Great group of nice, knowledgeable folks hangin’ there.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
Jambi’s suggestion of a Blackbird Savoy is an excellent one. It’s also offered in a beautiful burst finish. It’s a pricey little bugger that I am as long smitten with. But there are other small body offerings for less money.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:48 AM

I came across a used Composite Acoustics at a Guitar Center in September. Was my first time handling a CF guitar. I was really quite shocked at how nice it sounded.

That got me interested in CF. Now I own a Rainsong.

Bottom line: I was in your shoes about 2 months ago. I highly recommend you read through my thread in the CF section, it will REALLY help point you in the right direction. The folks in the CF section are fantastic!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=483572
Old 11-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I need a new guitar for camping. My 50 year old laminate Aria nylon just isn't cutting it anymore. My wife, mistress of polite understatement, has mentioned that it's not my best-sounding guitar. Most of our camping is high altitude and dry, so I was thinking carbon fiber.
Yep, a CF guitar would definitely be the ticket.

Quote:
What was your impression the first time you played a carbon fiber guitar?
I recently picked up my first CF guitar (a Composite Acoustics OX RAW ELE), and I was immediately impressed by the tone, especially the volume, balance, and the note articulation (especially way up the neck).

Quote:
Which carbon fiber sounds most like a wood guitar? Or which one sounds best in its own right?
I'd say my CA OX has a tone of its own, but that tone is wonderful. Also, the affect of different strings and picks on this guitar is substantially more profound than it is with my traditional, wood guitars.

Quote:
Probably going after a 000 or smaller to save space. Thanks.
FYI, the body size of the CA OX is almost exactly the same as a Martin 14-fret 000.

Best wishes on your search!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 AM

Thanks, Folks. Duh. Here I am in a subforum I didn't realize existed. I should get out more often.

I sense a high level of enthusiasm here. Guess I'd better jump on the learning curve.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Thanks, Folks. Duh. Here I am in a subforum I didn't realize existed. I should get out more often.

I sense a high level of enthusiasm here. Guess I'd better jump on the learning curve.
That’s the spirit!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Another plug for the Carbon subforum and another plug for CA Cargo. I wanted a small, trouble-free (humidity etc) guitar and was amazed at the sound from a guitar that, when first handed to me, felt like a toy-sized instrument. It has become my only guitar (though I have my eye on a Rainsong CH-OM). Look to see if the discontinued Rainsongs are still available at good prices (check LA Guitar, for example).

I am not in the "better than wood" camp, but I am solidly in the "they sound great" camp when it comes to carbon...
Old 11-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

If you are wanting small, the CA Cargo and Emerald X7 are hard to beat at their price point. I have both and favor the Cargo. Both are excellent.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
If you are wanting small, the CA Cargo and Emerald X7 are hard to beat at their price point. I have both and favor the Cargo. Both are excellent.
I haven’t tried an X7, but I sure like my Cargo. IMO, the Cargo is best looking (in terms of shape/design) of all small composite guitars. The Journey OF660 (with collapsible neck) is less expensive and seems great if you travel a lot by air because it breaks down into a carefully designed backpack. The Blackbird Savoy (ekoa linen) is just slightly larger than the aforementioned guitars and is relatively new with reports being very favorable...but at 2x the cost of the Cargo or X7. It is likely worth it for its reported tone. If money was no object, the Savoy is which would call me. In fact it is, but I’m having a hard time justifying the cost.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-10-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Guest 1478

Check out the latest blog on Emeralds guitar site (link below) to read my thoughts/experiences with carbon fibre guitars in the great outdoors.

http://emeraldguitars.com/2017/11/09...v=6cc98ba2045f
Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
Check out the latest blog on Emeralds guitar site (link below) to read my thoughts/experiences with carbon fibre guitars in the great outdoors.

http://emeraldguitars.com/2017/11/09...v=6cc98ba2045f
Wow, what an adventure, John! Lucky you! Thanks for sharing. Nice to know that your Emerald was a real trooper, with such harsh conditions being a testament to the durability and stability of the infused woody veneer top.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-10-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 PM

People seem to love the sound of Ekoa on the Blackbird El Capitan and Savoy. Haven't played either myself.

I have a RainSong Concert OM and love it. I think if you're interested in a more traditionally styled guitar, RainSong is a great way to go. And they are much easier to find and try in a music store. The new Concert Hybrid series is very temptingly priced, though I was happy to pay a little more for the abalone rosette and shark inlays.

One very nice thing about the RainSongs is that any model is available with a 12-fret neck or without electronics if you'd rather not have any or install something other than than their package.

Welcome to the world of composites!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM

Call Ted at LA Guitar. A sponsor here and has vast knowledge of CF guitars and stocks them all except Emerald, which is consumer direct.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber