The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-07-2016, 12:08 PM

The thought of playing for my wife, or any family member really, scares me more than the idea of playing in front of a huge room. Well done!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:04 PM

After 41 years of marriage and guitar playing, my wife is happiest when I don't play guitar for her.

Anyway, congrats and good job. Always remember, it's for fun.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:53 PM

Congrats!
I've been playing much longer, but am still shy about playing for others. My wife and son, daughter, and her husband, and 1 friend, but that's it.
You've sailed over a good hurdle.
Bob
Old 03-07-2016, 05:54 PM

Nice one! I pretty much always play in front of the wife. I think she's learned to tune me out haha! And fair play to her, I sometimes get very repetitive doing exercises and what not.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 PM

What you did is one of the most rewarding experiences anyone can have. At the age of 60 I decided to rededicate myself to really learning how to play the guitar, specifically fingerstyle accompaniment. I worked and practice and practiced and worked at it and then practiced some more. When I felt that I was ready, I sat my wife down and sang "Now and Forever" by Richard Marx for my wife. You would think that I gave her a 20 carat diamond. That was a great feeling.

Keep it up and keep serenading your girlfriend. She will love it and love you for it.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
What you did is one of the most rewarding experiences anyone can have. At the age of 60 I decided to rededicate myself to really learning how to play the guitar, specifically fingerstyle accompaniment. I worked and practice and practiced and worked at it and then practiced some more. When I felt that I was ready, I sat my wife down and sang "Now and Forever" by Richard Marx for my wife. You would think that I gave her a 20 carat diamond. That was a great feeling.

Keep it up and keep serenading your girlfriend. She will love it and love you for it.
That is awesome. I sort of had the same thing happen today.

I made a very short happy birthday song video and at the end told her I loved her. When she saw it, she cried & said it was the best birthday gift she ever received. She even uploaded it on her FB!

Over the last few years, I have bought her some nice gifts, who knew a 1 minute video this morning would surpass them all?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 AM

Congrats! I'm a re-entry guitarist and yeah, my primary audience member is my girlfriend too hehe. I'm even getting her to try to sing a bit.

Nice work. Big milestone indeed. Amazing how far you can go just knowing some open chords, which is my current skill set (with a capo, natch).

Old 03-08-2016, 11:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Traylor View Post
I started with Get A Job by Offspring, Cowboy Rides Away, then Happy Birthday (because tomorrow is her Bday), then WE BOTH ended up singing Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Cyrus & Turn the Page by Bob Seger as I played!!

We actually had fun and she was a little shocked at my playing.
That is most cool.
My Ol' Lady probably wouldn't sing with me (or in front of me), and probably wouldn't tolerate my playing/singing for very long. My biggest fans around here are the dog and my granddaughters. The kids have a fascination with guitars (their dad plays one, too), and I keep shakers and other small percussion instruments around for them to play with.
I recently got back into going to open mics, so if I want to play in front of people, I can go out once a month or so and do that.

Keep on having fun with it. There's a local guy around my age, a Berklee College of Music grad, who teaches guitar and plays in a blues band. A few years ago, I took a Guitar for Relaxation course he taught for the regional Adult & Community Education office. One of the "take-home lessons" that I got from the course was that playing guitar should be fun. As Patrick taught it, "the more you practice, the better you get, and the better you get, the more fun you have. The more fun you have, the more you want to practice, and on it goes."
I think you're well on your way. Enjoy.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:31 PM

Ok ,, someone has the ask ,,, .............. did you ............. I sure hope someone asks .. ha ha ha

ahahahaha
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 AM

My wife has been listening to and hearing me play for 29 years now. She's always been supportive. She's usually present at my gigs (not always 'cause I play a lot).

Despite always having someone who believes in the music I make, my wife does occasionally need a break from my incessant playing and singing. There are times where I'll have been working on something (and I pick stuff up pretty quickly after well over 30 years of guitar related OCD behaviour); when I say, "can I show you what I've been working on?", her most frequent response is "oh, I've heard it!".

Just remember to be respectful. Not everyone is as interested in our playing as we are.

Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write