The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-11-2014, 07:53 AM

Default Online tutorial book club ?

I just ordered and received a new tutorial book ( Richard Saslow's The New Art of Ragtime Guitar ). It is a ' first steps ' in ragtime book, so whilst challenging, hopefully it will not be overwhelmingly difficult.
I'm thinking it would be good to have one or two, or lots of people working through the same book together, here on the play section, to offer each other support and help whilst working on the material.
It doesn't have to be this particular book, this is just the one that I was drawn to ( Thanks to J-Doug, who inspired me to learn ragtime with his wonderful cover of a Blind Blake tune in the Show and Tell section ).
Anyway, I'm thinking that this kind of tutorial book club would be a good idea for people who are learning the basics, or learning a new style etc. Amazon can send you any book you want, so provided people are willing to wait until all participants have received their copy then all could work together, online on covering the lessons with the support of their cohort.
I'm really just throwing the idea out there, but if in the meantime anybody wants to join me with the abovementioned Ragtime Guitar book, let me know and I'll wait until you have got your copy before I begin myself.
Or if anyone wants to start a club with another tutorial book, maybe you could post it here in this section. Hopefully you will get an online class going !
Whilst I think of it, if there are any members who are gifted teachers and could help any of these clubs as a mentor to any books or materials, maybe you would spare some of your time to help out us mortals grappling with new material.
Just a thought, I'll leave the whole idea open to comment.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

It's a great idea. I'm a little too busy to participate in learning Ragtime right now, but next year - I would give it a go.

Steve
Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM

Richard Saslow's book is excellent with very clear instructions phrase by phrase. Good choice
I have already worked on these but I might use your post to encourage me to do some recording.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 PM

I like the idea. Does that book have a cd with it or is it just tab?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM

No CD but a link to downladable MP3 files. You can hear them at WWW.AcousticTruth.com They work whether or not you have the book. Just go to the site, click on the image of the book, and you'll see the track list on the bottom right. Click on the tracks, and they play the tunes. Give it a listen, and then decide if you want to buy the book.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:16 PM

Well, I found the book online. I just started working on Ragtime Ramble. Don't know if I will work through the whole book right now. I have a lot of Toby Walker material I am working on.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000JB View Post
I have a lot of Toby Walker material I am working on.
Same here

Had a review of Ragtime Ramble this morning. I can play it through but it's very hit and miss in places. Bar 8 seems to be the worst spot at present. I can't keep the notes clean with the hammer on as I catch the strings with other fingers.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 AM

I had a listen to Just What The Doctor Ordered. I definitely want to learn that one also.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Just listened - looks like fun! I might order the book….
Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 PM

I have a 1974 edition of this book. Back then, it came with a square vinyl record, which I still have, and you had to dig to determine that Richard Saslow was the author. There is a small but determined cadre of guitarists on YouTube who demonstrate their proficiency with these tunes, and I probably play every song in the book every day. It is one of the truly great fingerstyle books ever written. The one new tune in the updated book is "Absquatulation Rag".

Last edited by AX17609; 02-20-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Same here

Had a review of Ragtime Ramble this morning. I can play it through but it's very hit and miss in places. Bar 8 seems to be the worst spot at present. I can't keep the notes clean with the hammer on as I catch the strings with other fingers.
I am working on this one right now. I can do the bar 8 thing now but it took me a while to get the hang of it. I have it all down now, but......I keep forgetting to change the ending on section 2 ( which is largely the same as section 1 other than the ending ) That quick run of chords at the very end is a bit tricky aswell...the C C7 F piece, it's just the speed of the changes. I am also playing the whole tune quite slowly at present to try to burn it into my memory.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 PM

Got it !

I've got the first one down. Still fairly slowly but it's all there, and now I just need to speed it up. I'm trying to resist the second one at present until I'm entirely happy with ' Ragtime Ramble '.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:05 PM

It's a great book and I've been working through it on and off for a few months. I'd happily join in a thread on this - I'm on the fourth tune... but have forgotten the first three!

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 02-22-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delb0y View Post
It's a great book and I've been working through it on and off for a few months. I'd happily join in a thread on this - I'm on the fourth tune... but have forgotten the first three!
delb0y, ( how's Rodders ? ) Do the tunes get harder as you work through them ?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
Do the tunes get harder as you work through them ?
Yes, they do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write