The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 PM

Default John Butler - 12 String Maestro

Great video and I'm hoping he shows up in my area for a show soon!

John Butler
Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 PM

I love John Butler. Hes awesome. Haha have you ever seen the live video of him playing treat your mama?
early 1930's A-Type mandolin (restored)

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 06-01-2012, 02:50 AM

you mean 11-string maestro

he doesn't use the high G string.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 AM

Erm that before - incredible!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmuz View Post
you mean 11-string maestro

he doesn't use the high G string.
LOL...I didn't notice that!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 PM

JB is one of my favourite artists; he is wonderful on much more that the "11-string" including six string, electric, banjo, and slide. He takes the high octave G string off his 12 strings (even removes the top right tuner off his guitars) as he feels this is "jangly" and outside the natural range of the other 11 strings.

We've been fortunate to see him live many times including just recently where he did a small venue (pubs) tour, Tin Shed Tales, where he played to an audience of a few hundred by himself instead of the usual several thousands with his trio. He has amazing groove and has always been in inspiration to me as a guitar player - yet I can't really play any of his songs! Some day, when I am ready (grasshopper), I will try to learn Ocean - if you haven't seen him play this amazing instrumental you are in for a treat!

Last edited by gstreet; 06-01-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: miss link from OP
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Very cool, gstreet.

I'm looking for some Keith Medley vids right now....he designed his own guitar (27 strings I believe) and the music he puts out on it is amazing.

Yup...here he is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5mvTfYSQY
Old 06-02-2012, 04:49 AM

Last saw JBT in wellington NZ in 2005. Fantastic, but strange audience. I'm from South Australia and at the end of any concert, everyone gets up, claps, yells stamps their feet and whistle until the band comes back out I can't remember a concert that did not have at least two encores, but in NZ the band said goodnight, my partner and I got up and did all the usual Adelaide things and made as much noise as we could, the lights came up and everyone started pushing past us to get out while giving us strange looks. Unfortunately no encore.
Great show though He is a great artist and JBT is a show sorth going to. Foot stompin brilliance.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Talking

John Butler is a brilliant artist with a unique playing style.
Since last summer I have really gotten into his music and it has added a lot to my own playing technique and dynamics.
One of the first pieces I learned is the Ocean, still perfecting it as I am using parts of five or six different performances. An amazing musical canvas.
For something easier there are Peaches and Cream, I'd do anything, Losing You (catchy lick with way awesome melody), Close to You etc.
Tune I am working hard at the moment is Betterman - awesome slide solo, it is in open C, no capo.
JB often tunes half step down from open C, and I love the twin amp setup - working on one like so myself, albeit a much cheaper take on it.
At the moment on my Seagull twelve I am using MiSi Duo soundhole pickup into a MXR 10 band EQ used with Fender Mustang I amp and a volume pedal to control volume swells.
Acoustic half of the system is JJB Prestige 330 into Dtar Solstice to Marshall AS50D acoustic amplifier.
For my six string I will be trying a dual source system comprised of SBT/UST with another MiSi Duo. Once I have the funds for it that is.
As to amp chain I would like to add Boss looper and Cry Baby Classic. Should be just fine for my needs.
Missed his show in SLC last year, can't wait for him to make another appearance, from what I have read live shows are superb.

Last edited by swsman; 06-02-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM

You know what is really incredible about JB? Over 15 million views on YouTube and zero advertising. Just another reason to like him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write