The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Default Beginner's Questions

Uh. Not sure if I should post this here after reading all the threads in this section. But because I'm desperate and anonymous, I'm taking my chances and I'm posting this here anyway. If you can help, please do!

1. Is there any correct hand positions when playing the guitar? I play piano and I'm always making fun of those self-taught players whose fingers for some reason keep flying in the air, and now as I begin playing the guitar I'm getting self-conscious about the fingers that I don't use.

2. Strumming: how do you do it exactly? I've tried using my thumb, but I can't use it to strum upstroke. I've tried using my index finger, but I can't use it to strum downward. So for now I use the two fingers interchangeably, which seems bizarre even to me as I also have the tendency to extend each finger. If I'm doing this wrong, I'd really like for someone to point it out!

3. What are some other tips for strumming? It seems that when I try to strum quickly I don't hit all the strings evenly and end up producing really horrible sounds.

4. Are there any benefits to learning the classical style if you're mostly interested in pop songs or is that just going to mess you up? Currently I'm also using another book that uses the PIMA method. I normally use only my thumb to play single notes (not sure if this is what I'm supposed to do, so again, if I'm doing it wrong please point it out), so I find the PIMA method refreshing.

That's all for now. Thanks for your time!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 PM

Not particularly 'hand positions' to learn, but chords - and make sure the guitar is in the right place relative to your body. See how classical players sit with one foot on a stool and the neck is at a 45 degree angle? That helps your hand be in a good position. Your hand changes position from a barre chord to an open G chord, for instance.

Don't squeeze too hard. Play as lightly as possible. Like piano, relax your hands as much as you can.

Strumming is best with a pick. but with no pick there are ways. Side of the thumb on downstroke, index/middle on upstroke. Sometimes I strum pickless as if I were holding a pick.

Playing classical will help you read music better. Sor's studies have lots of technique challenges built in. PIMA is good because it makes you use all your fingers. "Fingerstyle" guitar playing is pickless playing with modern or folk music. Rock guitar usually uses a pick.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianwannabe View Post
1. Is there any correct hand positions when playing the guitar?
There is no right or wrong. Only what works (for you) and what doesn't. Having said that, you will notice that good players have at least two things in common: very relaxed hand positions and minimal (efficient) finger movement.

Quote:
2. Strumming: how do you do it exactly?
With a good pick....seriously

Quote:
4. Are there any benefits to learning the classical style if you're mostly interested in pop songs or is that just going to mess you up?
I think guitarists of any style can benefit from learning some classical technique.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:

1. Is there any correct hand positions when playing the guitar?
Yes, and countless guitarists have been quite successful without using them.

Quote:
2. Strumming: how do you do it exactly?

3. What are some other tips for strumming? It seems that when I try to strum quickly I don't hit all the strings evenly and end up producing really horrible sounds.
Someone will come along and give you some great tips, I'm sure. The only thing I can say is keep practicing, you'll find something that works great for you.

Quote:

4. Are there any benefits to learning the classical style if you're mostly interested in pop songs or is that just going to mess you up? Currently I'm also using another book that uses the PIMA method. I normally use only my thumb to play single notes (not sure if this is what I'm supposed to do, so again, if I'm doing it wrong please point it out), so I find the PIMA method refreshing.

That's all for now. Thanks for your time!
There are benefits to learning as many different styles as you can. Just keep digging and don't get discouraged. It's supposed to be fun.

One more thing... WELCOME!!!

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:

1. Is there any correct hand positions when playing the guitar? I play piano and I'm always making fun of those self-taught players whose fingers for some reason keep flying in the air, and now as I begin playing the guitar I'm getting self-conscious about the fingers that I don't use.
Well, it's not so much a question of right or wrong. I would say that by not really knowing what's comfortable for you at this point, you could develop bad habits which are difficult to straighten out later. I suggest to find a good teacher who will get you on your way.
Quote:
2. Strumming: how do you do it exactly? I've tried using my thumb, but I can't use it to strum upstroke. I've tried using my index finger, but I can't use it to strum downward. So for now I use the two fingers interchangeably, which seems bizarre even to me as I also have the tendency to extend each finger. If I'm doing this wrong, I'd really like for someone to point it out!
Sounds bizarre to me too...
At this point, I suggest to use either your index finger. You have to keep it kind of loose, though, don't tense up. Or, try using a guitar pick and see how that will work for you. Now, if play piano, I assume holding a rhythmic pattern shouldn't be too difficult for you. Try first simple up and down strokes in time, but stay loose...swing your body with the beat.
Quote:
That will come by practicing. Don't worry about it for now. First get comfortable with guitar in general.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:40 AM

Welcome to the forum. Yes - you posted your questions in the right section. This section was opened to the general public yesterday. It was originally a section with a different title just for charter members ($15.00/YR). That is why you are seeing some topics that do not seem to fit with the current section title.

Hand positions....like piano - minimal movement and efficiency of movement are very important.

Strumming....can be difficult and takes some time - stay relaxed.

Good luck and welcome again.
'08 Martin HD28
Old 06-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

hi, i take it you're brand new to guitar playing?

it'd be really helpful if you can meet up with some of your guiar playing friends and they'll be able to show you some basics. it's pretty fustrating learning from videos and books alone.

as far as left hand position, it's whatever's most comfortable. generally, your thub should be behind the neck, and your 4 fingers should natually bend towards the fretboard.

strumming, you'll need a GUITAR PICK, and here's a picture of a pic and how to hold it:

once again, some basic instructions on strumming pattern, rythem, and wrist/ arm movement is probably necessary. i really hope you can meet up with a guiar playing friend of yours.

don't need to learn classical if you just wanna do pop songs strumming.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 PM

There are several hand strumming techniques, but the one I favor utilizes the backs of my nails - down strum using the backs of little, ring and middle fingers, upstroke with back of thumb. My index finger almost never gets used in strumming, unless it is used to grasp a pick! I do not strum with the fleshy parts of my fingers. I do, however, finger pick with the tips of my fingers.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 06-02-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Strumming technique depends on the type of music. If you tell us the particular style in which you're interested, we can give you specific tips.

I like to use my thumb to play bass notes while I strum with my other fingers. This doesn't work well for some types up songs so I use other techniques depending on the type of song. I won't use picks so for songs that are typically strummed with a pick, I simply hold my thumb and index finger together as if I were holding a pick and strum using my index finger nail. I keep my nails short, though.
Quote:
Most likely it is simply a matter of practice but you do want to make sure you are using the right technique for the type of music you want to play before practicing the wrong technique or a flawed technique.

Quote:
I think it is best to learn classical technique and then adopt other styles as needed but there are those who will say it is better to concentrate on the style that interests you most. I never met a guitarist that regretted learning classical technique but I know many who lament not having learned it.

For picking individual notes it is probably best that you get used to using your thumb for the 4th, 5th and 6th strings; your index finger for the 3rd string; your middle finger for the 2nd and your ring finger for the 1st. You would use a plucking motion for the first three strings and a strum like motion for the thumb strings. This technique will prepare you for both classical and finger styles.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 AM

Regarding strumming: Yeah, I don't really want to use a pick to strum. I don't want to be one of those people who can't play when they don't have a pick with them.

In other news, I've signed up for a Folk Guitar course. I don't know if this is something I should be telling people, but I imagine taking a course with an actual instructor, as has been suggested, can only help me. I'll be back in 7 weeks, hopefully with a different set of questions.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:22 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Regarding strumming: Yeah, I don't really want to use a pick to strum. I don't want to be one of those people who can't play when they don't have a pick with them.
That's a little like saying you don't want to be one of those track athletes who can't run their best barefooted

If you manage to sound great strumming with your fingers, then all the better. But there's often a good reason why players strum and experiment with picks.

(I play fingerstyle almost exclusively, by the way, though I do know the difference the "right" pick can make)
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 AM

If you play with a pick, you always have several in every pair of pants, case, jacket pocket, etc. Never been w/o one when I need one.

You'd have to be fairly new to the guitar not to be able to play with or w/o a pick, or at least not exposed yourself to many styles. Basically, learning to use a pick is not an impediment to skills, rather an expansion.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
That's a little like saying you don't want to be one of those track athletes who can't run their best barefooted

If you manage to sound great strumming with your fingers, then all the better. But there's often a good reason why players strum and experiment with picks.

(I play fingerstyle almost exclusively, by the way, though I do know the difference the "right" pick can make)
The shoe analogy doesn't quite work because while there are no track athletes running with out shoes, world-wide, there are a huge number of players that don't use picks.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The shoe analogy doesn't quite work because while there are no track athletes running with out shoes, world-wide, there are a huge number of players that don't use picks.
The marathon in 1960 and 1964, then that South African girl in the 80s. However for the pick anology, no sprinters have gone shoeless. You can strum with your fingers, you just won't get the sound those that use picks do.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Alot of my strumming without a pick is done with the back of my nails, kinda like flamenco style. Your right hand angle is different for fingerstyle than for using a pick. When playing fingerstyle you gotta angle your hand a bit so the fingers strike the strings perpendicular or pick the neck up a bit and do it that way, whichever is more comfortable (I hold the guitar in the classical position). If you hit them at an angle you will get a raspy sound.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write