The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-06-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
So...I got dressed, fed the cat, made a few cups of tea, and sat in Andy's conservatory of Music and put down my version of this great ol' song.

Sorry, but your moustache is really not silly enough.
(Nice performance though. )
Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Default My favorite cover of my favorite Dylan song

Check out Chris Thile's version taken from at a German Jazz festival
He seems to capture the emotion of the song even better than I've seen Dylan do it

https://youtu.be/XH2Ohcf1RE8

I hope I did that right
Old 03-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Wink

Where did you learn it from? Or rather where can i learn it from. Also anyone know the same about any of his tracks from his first album. I really love this sort of old American bluesie folk and am struggling a bit with learning much.
Thanks man
Old 03-09-2016, 02:50 PM

I have been learning the swiftlesson version on YouTube. He does a very good job explaining everything.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:44 AM

Re Dylan stuff in general, there is a very well curated site at dylanchords.info. It doesn't give complete tabs for everything but it generally gives a good starting point plus accurate lyric transcriptions (more accurate than the copyright lyrics, anyway!)
Old 03-19-2016, 01:36 PM

If you really want to get down the finer points of Dylan's style, look for lowdenjim on YouTube. He has several videos on various Dylan song, including Don't Think Twice. Even if you don't want to do Dylan's version to the letter, you'll learn some cool fingerpicking stuff.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The other Dylan fact about this tune (which maybe not quite everyone knows) is that he developed it from Martin Carthy's arrangement of Scarborough Fair, which featured that unusual opening chord.
Hope I'm not being too cheeky here but are you not thinking of 'Girl from the North Country' which is definitely based on 'Scarborough Fair' both lyrically and musically. Also 'Boots of Spanish Leather' is very similar musically to 'Girl from the North Country' in fact I'm sure the chords are exactly the same except for the odd slight variation.

Benny61 - As regards 'Don't Think Twice', I would agree with what others have said and make it your own. The one thing that amazes me about this song is the many different versions I have heard and how each has its own unique character and often the overall feel and emotion is totally different, but for me they all work.

This version by Davey Graham is one of the happier versions that skips down the street whistling with a big smile on its face.

But this bluesy laid back version by Odetta has got to be my favourite and I would suggest also that it is worthwhile figuring it out and playing along with it because of the different tempo—twice as many beats or twice as long— I can't technically explain it but I can play it— When I started playing it a bit like this I felt as though I really managed to get inside the skin of the song and it became something else altogether for me. I used to play a lapslide version of the tune loosely based on this Odetta version.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
Hope I'm not being too cheeky here but are you not thinking of 'Girl from the North Country' which is definitely based on 'Scarborough Fair' both lyrically and musically.
Cheeky?? I'll say! How dare you point out my utter stupidity!

You're quite right, of course. For some reason I always get those two tunes confused - even though they're very different. Maybe because they're the pair on Freewheelin' that are played with the same fingerpicked style.
Duh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
Also 'Boots of Spanish Leather' is very similar musically to 'Girl from the North Country' in fact I'm sure the chords are exactly the same except for the odd slight variation.
Again, you're correct.
http://dylanchords.info/03_times/boots_of_spanish.htm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write