The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-06-2016, 01:14 AM

Default www.flatpick.com essentials course?

How is their essentials course (an 11 book series I think, vol 1-8 plus three companions).

I am a budding flatpicker currently, been playing less than 2 years, I am taking lessons on mandolin, which interestingly is helping my guitar picking, but am currently self-studying on guitar. I am a strummer and a picker (no fingerstyle at all yet and no plans to go there any time soon). My goal is to be a rhythm guitar player in a worship band. Our band does mostly CCM, with some country and even a little bluegrass, so flatpicking is a good fit there.

How is their course? Worth $30 per book? (if I buy the first 4 plus the 3 companions that sets me back over $200, less than a Trance Audio M).

I have Acoustic Guitar Magazine Flatpicking Basics and Flatpicking Essentials books, and will be ready for more material soon. I also have Flatpicking Guitar Songs by Bert Casey and some of that stuff is over my head.
Zoom G3 pedal
Amps: THR-10 (small), DBR-10 (med), QSC-K10 (large)
Old 03-06-2016, 04:22 AM

I have most of their ebook editions, I think they're extensive in scope and a great value. The first volume is the most primary, lots of exercises and basic tunes, a lot of rhythm stuff. So you might want to start with just the first volume, maybe the second. Volume 2 is Carter style stuff, how to make a melody into a Bluegrass tune. Then it gets progressive as a volumes go along, into more complicated soloing and improvising.

I have a couple of Homespun videos by Kaufman on basic and "beyond basic" bluegrass rhythm guitar, those are nice, but not as extensive as the Essentials series.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:36 AM

I was reading your question again and looking at my copy of Acoustic Guitar Magazines "Essentials". There's a lot of similarity there, but the Flatpick Mag stuff is more extensive. I also have Bert Casey's "Flatpicking Guitar Songs" which is nice for melody and songs but not much on rhythm.

I also have "Teach Yourself Flatpicking Guitar" by Kaufman, but it's so basic and he never plays at tempo in the audio, it's like for absolute beginners.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 AM

Volume 1 is amazing. You will learn a good solid foundation on rhythm playing. I would buy volume 1 and work through that for now. It will keep you busy for a while.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:19 AM

The first 3 volumes of Flatpicking Essentials are very good. I will continue with the series after I finish the 3rd volume. I have found the books very helpful and use the CDs.

Start going to jams as well if you can...that really helped. Met good folks and they were / are generous with thier knowledge.

Have fun!...
Old 03-17-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphelps View Post
Volume 1 is amazing. You will learn a good solid foundation on rhythm playing. I would buy volume 1 and work through that for now. It will keep you busy for a while.
Agree. I'm working through it now.
7 Electrics, 4 Basses
Banjo, Mountain Dulcimer
(all lefties)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:22 AM

From "Homespun" Bluegrass Guitar solos #1 by Steve Kaufman should help you out. Has twenty songs broken down to beginner, intermediate, advanced, with cd's playing song at full tempo, then each segment broken down at slow speed to be able to get the little tricks involved with each one. Well worth the price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write