The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Appreciate the feedback and guidance that this belongs in this forum! Anyone have chord sheet collections they dont mind sharing, if they have them on ipad? I have chord sheets that are multiple pages and trying to figure out best ways to consolidate them to 1 sheet each so I dont have to use pedal page turner.

Also, anyone have alternate guitar tab sites/blogs they like besides the common ones like ultimate-guitar to offer a narrowed down list of songs.

Last edited by Dancehallking; 01-05-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM

Guitar Alliance is pretty good for tabs:

http://guitaralliance.com/guitar-tab...3a5d6050061a_L

Then there are specialized, or band specific sites like Darks' Grateful Dead tab site:

http://jdarks.com/GDTab.html

or search for song specific tutorials at YT and create your own sheets using LJ's as a guide.

HTH
Old 01-05-2015, 03:39 PM

Dancehallking:

I sent you a pm

Mike
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 PM

I've also found Justinguitar a good site - yes, a lot of video lessons, but it is worthwhile buying some of his books. they are ringbound so open easily. Every song I have seen is 1 or 2 pages long so you don't have to turn pages when playing a song. Some of the songs in the beginner series have been simplified, and if you like a song in there probably good to see his video tutorial as well. I agree with the others. Usually I end up at Ultimate Guitar, and yes, it is a bit hit and miss. Some of the tabbed versions that are for powertab etc can be useful - you can hear it first and determine if you think it is a fair representation of the song you are trying to play, then print it out if you want a paper copy.
Oh - and yes, this is the best sub forum to post this in.
Keep playing.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 AM

I have been learning the guitar going on a year. I purchased some DVD lessons and had lessons. They all preach to use your ear to figure out a song. Maybe it will come with time but to my ear there is too much going on to try and pick out what chord is being played. If it was just a lone guitar yeah maybe but with all the other instruments I can't single out one chord from another. I can't pick out the chord let alone sus or add. etc. I do use Ultimate guitar and they aren't always correct but it gets me in the ball park. Maybe there is a way to do this ear thing but I sure don't have it. I know this may sound strange to most of you but I just can't seem to be able to pick out chords from a recording.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:45 AM

Ultimate Guitar, stores, YouTube, and my teacher. The later has been mostly how I been doing it. He can transcribe music quite fast. I introduced him to "Falling Slowly" and "Whiskey and You" and was impressed when he knew right off the bat FS had the 6th string tuned up to a F and how in Whiskey and You was tuned down to a D: 6th string also. Very impressive.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:56 AM

Trying to learn songs on your own by listening is definitely the best way but if a song has diminished chords or major sevenths as just a couple of examples, a beginner may not either be able to "hear" them or figure them out even if they do. This is where the internet comes in handy.
Although I am not a beginner,I found this to be the case in Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" where the chorus uses a Dmaj7, a D6 nd a Gmaj7 that I just couldn't figure out by listening.

I also suggest this sight: http://www.e-chords.com/
This is a great site because you can change the key the song is in and do a lot of other useful things.
Unfortunately you won't be able to print from there or use the added features without buying a subscription. But, there are ways around that like writing everything down yourself on a piece of paper.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:01 AM

Good Job !!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write