The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for taking the picture for us, Kurt. We should have drafted a neighbor (our kids) so you could have been added to the mix. It was a perfect weekend.

I am blessed to be a part of the AGF family. The sun truly feels brighter and I can soak up the freshness with a smile. I seriously feel the weight of the world off my shoulders.

I offer my personal thanks to each of you who encouraged us and respected the privacy of the other luthiers who struggled with timing and situations in their own lives. As for the guitar, our frustrations and eery feelings we know who is in control and always has His own timing. There is nothing to do to change this. Now that the past 4 years are over I can look back at things a new way. Todd's birthday is this Tuesday. What a most awesome gift of friendship we had with him and Kurt as they shared 24 hours of private viewing, music and fellowship as our family. God bless each of my AGF brothers.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Musical minimalist

Just getting things back together here at the homestead - woke up a little "crusty" this morning (actually I was already crusty in the pic that we posted in front of the Lone Cone Room!)

I don't know what else I can say at this point than I already have. I will add that when you receive a guitar from Tim and Mary, the attention to detail is about as high as it could get. How many builders do you know that put a set of 4 different thickness shims (all labeled with size, of course) in the case??

I did some minor setup tweaking this morning and threw a fresh set of EJ16's on it so I could start with my "reference" string. Tim put a couple other sets in the case he wanted me to try out so I thought I'd better begin at my starting point. The nut width, saddle spacing and neck profile are just perfect - feels like "home" again to me!

This process has been a long ride, but this instruments simplistic beauty, extremely pleasing tone and the fact that I got to spend the weekend with some of my favorite people have made it all very much worth the wait!!

I rearranged my house and have "lost" my perfect spot to take pics for now (didn't think about having to darken the room when I bought a plasma TV!) So pardon some of the reflections in the pictures I took quickly this morning - I'll get some better ones and find a way to post a recording before too long.

I also want to add that some of you will notice there is some runout on the top......Tim was opposed to the idea of using this Italian top, but he told me it had a great tap tone, so I enticed him into using it - that has never really bothered me in the past, but for someone like Tim, I'm sure he's still got a kink in his neck. It didn't stop him from hitting a 270 yd 3 wood over top of a 90 foot tree in the middle of the fairway though, so I guess he's OK

Thanks to Tim, Mary, Brock (donated the Koa, bent the sides, joined the back/built the "rim" and did the binding work) for doing the work, and Lance for providing the top. I'll be forever grateful!!

I also want to thank all of the forum members support and well wishes during this long journey. I always say, there are so many of you that I've never met it person, but it seems like we've known each other that way for years!

I tried to turn it into the sunlight and show the beauty of the rosette....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by fitness1; 07-14-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM

That's awesome Todd. I am very glad to see this project finally in your hands.

You have beyond patient.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Poling View Post
That's awesome Todd. I am very glad to see this project finally in your hands.

You have beyond patient.
Thanks Brock, for all you did and keeping in touch to make sure it was seen through to the end. I really appreciate all of your help and concern!

If I'd had more time this weekend I'd have stopped down for a quick visit, but it was kind of a "squeeze play" as it was!

Thanks for the work and the gorgeous wood!!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Guest 213

Todd,

I love how this guitar was born out of community and symbolizes it. Add to that the absolutely stunning woods and craftsmanship. I am so happy for you that you were finally able to bring this one home. Looking forward to hearing some recordings!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
My one and only regret is that Todd beat me to Greater Metropolitan Morral by a few minutes and I didn't get to see the initial unveiling.

This was one of the first strums Kurt.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

How goes it now that the Koa is more at home?

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 08-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Musical minimalist

Been through 3 sets of strings and about 2 hours of daily play.....the way I would describe the changes is that "all the frequencies are filling in". It sounded great out of the gate, but it's just getting more robust with each day.

Getting ready to put a fresh set of Jubers on it.....they've been my favorite so far. I'm sure it will go up another notch once these are played in....

Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

That's good news! It sometimes takes a while for guitar woods to forget they are no longer trees. They will learn to play well with others in due time.

[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop