The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Both have their place. Just make sure your proper ending is well thought through and rehearsed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I think there are three kinds of endings, not two:

fade out - where a phrase/measure/etc repeats over and over as the volume decreases

abrupt ending - where the song goes out with a bang, with or without resolution. I think this is more about how the volume goes to zero "instantly"

resolved ending - this is where a song resolves then "hangs" there briefly before going quiet.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 10-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Don't forget the ending of "destroy all your instruments in a wild and crazy tantrum" a la The Who.
~Bob
Old 10-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Songs I've written tend to end in various ways, but never a fade-out, mainly because I don't record much to apply a fade-out. However, I'm working on a song right now that a fade-out played by gradually playing quieter until barely heard may be appropriate, which got me thinking about this thread which I read some days ago.

Back when fade-outs were common, is it possible that an element for use of the technique was/is because it may tend to create stronger "ear worms" where the catchy part of the song keeps on playing in the listener's head as opposed to a non-fade-out that more terminates the song, ultimately to generate more sales? Any sense to this thinking?
Old 10-20-2016, 05:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Well it is a fact that some of the guitarist/writers of the period were writing catchy codas in rondo form to finish out songs. I'm talking about separate ending sections here. I was listening to Joe Walsh on The Smoker You Drink the Player You Get and So What? and back in the James Gang days. His coda and fade sections were so often a twist or a development on the original theme that added some interest to the song, as opposed to vamping on the chorus and fading out. On "Walk Away" he fiddled with all kinds of wacky sounds from his guitar and was credited with "guitar, vocals, and train wreck" in the credits. The fade out became an art form, if you will. I remember disk jockeys waiting for the end before talking on songs that had an interesting fade out but talking over the boring ones. I also remember using my stereo's volume control to fight the fade out and hearing so much interesting stuff tucked into the fade out.

Of course, these days people don't do that.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 PM

I'll take a nice ending every time over a fade.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD