The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 AM

Default okay to put tailpiece on vintage acoustic?

this is an older guitar with the bridge pulling off from the back and warping the body some. the lift on the back is so much the strings are barely making contact with the saddle and sometimes don't. this is an old japan made kingston i think, parlor guitar. The bridge is like a classical one. it has no pins. i'm also wondering if i could leave it on with the tailpiece/trapeze..maybe just get a higher saddle.
this isn't for looks...and so i'm also wondering if it will change the sound to be more flat/bluesy.
thanks so much for any help guys.
-daniel
Old 04-17-2015, 12:05 PM

Sounds like an old clunker guitar, so I'd do to it whatever it would take to get it back into playing condition.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

+1 on what DesertTwang says. That guitar seems like a great opportunity to try whatever you want.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 04-17-2015, 12:37 PM

I do run into it on older guitars. Looks like the fixed bridge started lifting and rather than fix it somebody just slaps a tailpiece on the guitar. Even my '46 Gibson LG-2 has three little holes where somebody at sometime had affixed a tailpiece.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Sounds like an old clunker guitar, so I'd do to it whatever it would take to get it back into playing condition.
Ditto.

whm
Old 04-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Guest 1928

Well, it was once common practice for lots of guitars. Two of my vintage Martins had that alteration before I owned them, my '36 000-18 and '48 D-18. David Eichelbaum corrected one and John Arnold took care of the other.

That said, I wouldn't do it to a "good" guitar and not sure I'd do it any guitar. Unless the top is terribly damaged underneath, regluing a bridge is not an expensive repair. And if the bridge is loose and warped, it's going to have be flattened and reglued anyway. With the low angle coming off of a tailpiece on a flattop guitar, there isn't enough string pressure to hold a loose/deformed bridge securely.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Unless the top is terribly damaged underneath, regluing a bridge is not an expensive repair. And if the bridge is loose and warped, it's going to have be flattened and reglued anyway. With the low angle coming off of a tailpiece on a flattop guitar, there isn't enough string pressure to hold a loose/deformed bridge securely.
This. Regluing a bridge is not a difficult or expensive repair, plus it's more effective than a tailpiece.
\
That said, this is not a valuable instrument. Maybe your best option is to turn it into a wallhanger
Old 04-18-2015, 01:28 AM

thanks guys, i appreciate it. i really love this guitar...even though it is a junker...it's got such amazing sound and especially for a small body. i talked to another guy today who said he did this. he said it did work well but it flattened the sound some...that makes me reconsider.
I'm gonna check into getting the top flattened either way. the **** hole is so small though. hard to get anything in there at all.
thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge, guitar, tailpiece, vintage, warping