The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM

You like the Martin, so keep it.

As for strings, we can all recommend our favorites. Then, you'll buy them all and go on a tour of strings - you'll find your string. My favorites:

(on a Martin D-28 Marquis)

Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum
Pyramid Western Folk
Newtone Masterclass
Martin SP 80/20
Wyres Bensusan coated strings.

D'Addario would be my least favorite, and I've included this bit of info to illustrate the point that, though D'Addario has many die-hard fans, it's all about you and your ears.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Wow..just awesome and helpful responses..this forum is going to become a part time hobby for me! I told the seller about the bridge; he was very sorry he didn't notice it..he offered, and I accepted, his payment for full repair! In the end, albeit nicked, dinged, and a little worn, I will have a sweet sounding Martin Dred! (my friends think I've ruined myself getting this as a "learners" guitar). But like many of you have said; no need to worry about her too much now as she's already broken in a tad!
I decided, based on reading a ton of reviews, on D'addario EJ16s..they are popular and it's a good starting point before trialing more exotic brands...they'll be time for those later!
Now...I'm considering starting a thread looking for a great BEGINNER theory book..scales, theory, fret work, my instructor won't teach me these now till I learn to read music more proficiently.
Thank you all for your help! Was thinking of a lightweight hard case in lieu of that monstrously heavy Martin HSC!?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Sounds like you got a bargain to me especially if the seller is willing to pay for the cost of repair. Nicks, dings and scratches are part and parcel of a guitar's life. With the repair done properly you'll have a quality instrument and one that, if you sell it in the future, will have a residual value. As someone already said, you'll probably at least get your money back if you look after it. Sounds like a keeper to me.

As for Martin strings I've never been a fan. I don't know what the newer offerings are like because I would never think to try them. Martin make great guitars but the strings were always lacking. D'Addario's are always a good starting point in my opinion but at the moment I must admit to being an Elixir fan.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

One thing, if you don't want to bother learning to read music don't let your teacher force you into it. For blues and rock there are thousands of people who do not read music playing these genres with no issues.
Personally I do read music, but I have to confess I cannot think of one blues or rock song I learnt or played from sheet music.
Good luck with your new Martin and have fun with it!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Congrats on your new guitar and welcome to the forum. In a way we are all beginners because we never stop learning. I picked up a new Johnson a few years ago which had the bridge reglued by the distributor, it was the last one they had due to a name change (Recording King). Never looked back, it's my go to beater played daily and taken out to clubs. No issues. As others have said, have fun trying the strings that suit YOU best. Glenwillow and Landru have given you a good start and Elixir is also worth trying (last, because they'll last longer)! Like many others here, sheet music is not my thing either, it's faster learning tab and via YouTube. Re the carry case - man up! All the best.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:54 AM

Good to hear it's all working out for ya.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpick View Post
Re the carry case - man up! All the best.
HAHA!! love that! So..seriously, i'm a newby, but I used to take my Fender CD90 everywhere (cheap light hardshell) but with this Martin that case is a beast..I was just thinking with a case like the Gator GL-DREAD or similar its super light, backpack straps and all and you get similar protection. Y'all carry your guitars on vacation, friends homes, and gigs with the OHSC?!?! Dang..I need to watch more Monster Truck Mud Boggin!! Get my testosterone numbers up!!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethernaut05 View Post
Now...I'm considering starting a thread looking for a great BEGINNER theory book..scales, theory, fret work, my instructor won't teach me these now till I learn to read music more proficiently.
Thank you all for your help! Was thinking of a lightweight hard case in lieu of that monstrously heavy Martin HSC!?
"The Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory." I can also recommend the "Skeptical Guitarist" and "Guitar From Scratch" series.

TW
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Also, in the play forum there is a post on beginners music theory, and it is very well done. The op name is "Greff" Check it out. J.P.D.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Also, in the play forum there is a post on beginners music theory, and it is very well done. The op name is "Greff" Check it out. J.P.D.
THanks...will totally do and i'll check out the "Idiots" books as well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge, dc16gte