The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Selling in the time of Covid

I'm considering selling one or even 2 two of my guitars. I've always had good success on Craigslist and I sold my Dred Jr in April on there just before things got really bad. As usual, I met the buyer outside the library which was closed. The guitar was just as described and he took it. I've never had the buyer not take the guitar once they came to try it.

But what about if they do? Do I quarrantine the guitar? Is there a safe way to clean it? What do you think? Has anyone bought or sold a guitar face to face with anyone lately?
Old 11-28-2020, 05:28 AM

a bit off track but our house is in the process of being rebuilt.

There are many sub contractors coming and going, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, painters, etc.

The GC has been monitoring people, taking temps when they get there and stuff like that, but.. just to say.. We've not had a single issue with this since the work started on August 31st. (We're in Central Mass where there has been an increase in cases)

I think the idea of meeting someone in a parking lot to do an exchange is probably safe enough, following protocols and all.

if you're worried about contamination, you could use some isopropyl alcohol dampened on a cotton rag for a good wipe down on the strings, and maybe some kind of "safe for your finish" cleaner, sanitizing wipes for the case (handle, latches)

beyond that, if you're really that concerned, maybe wait a bit longer.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Ive done several. I wear a mask and meet outside. When I’ve brought one home I’ve given it a good cleaning with normal guitar cleaning stuff and swapped the strings. Then I’ll wash my hands and go for it. I don’t think surfaces are nearly as dangerous as air.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:37 AM

I bought my electric during COVID. Semi-local sale-- the guy lived about 1:15 away. We chatted online for a while. After learning that he was super-conscientious about both his gear and his Covid precautions, we agreed that we'd (1) do the deal in a parking lot, (2) that I'd let the guitar sit for a couple days before inspecting it and that (3) we'd meet again if anything was wrong with the guitar. It all worked out great.

That said, I have decided that I'm going to get a new acoustic guitar. I am waiting until after Covid so that I can go to a great shop and try out a bunch of stuff.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 11-28-2020, 09:50 AM

I’ve bought and sold a number of guitars this year. I wear a mask and wash my hands and that’s it. The virus doesn’t stick around on surfaces much especially if they see some sun.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I'm considering selling one or even 2 two of my guitars. I've always had good success on Craigslist and I sold my Dred Jr in April on there just before things got really bad. As usual, I met the buyer outside the library which was closed. The guitar was just as described and he took it. I've never had the buyer not take the guitar once they came to try it.

But what about if they do? Do I quarrantine the guitar? Is there a safe way to clean it? What do you think? Has anyone bought or sold a guitar face to face with anyone lately?
Yes, I did sell a guitar within the last two months. I put it on FB Marketplace, and an acquaintance that was also a FB friend saw the listing, came out and tried it. He then came back to make the purchase.

He was well aware that I had Covid19 in April (5 months earlier) but he was not at all apprehensive about coming over, or handling the guitar. We both wore masks and passed the guitar back and forth.

How he treated it after he left I don't know. All I did afterwards was wash my hands before removing my mask, and that was it.

I've done setups on guitars that people have brought over, and I have no issues with working on them. After I'm done, I hand them the guitar to try, to make sure it's to their liking. They pay me, and leave.

If it's scrip, I spray it with alcohol. If it's Paypal, that's even better.

Then I wash my hands and remove my mask.

It is NOT rocket science. Could there have been virus on the instrument that got onto my shirt or pants? Sure, it's possible.

To that end I no longer put my hands near my mouth, nose or ears unless I've just washed or sanitized them.

It makes you really appreciate just being able to turn on the tap to get fresh water!!

Regards,
Howard Emerson
https://www.howardemerson.com/albums/the-rhytalin-kid MY NEW CD!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:34 AM

Done 2 in person deals since COVID became a concern.

Masks during and lots of hand sanitizer after. I let the guitar sit for 2 days and then wiped it off with a clean cloth.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

One of the benefits of having a guitar shipped is that it creates time between the last time the seller touched the guitar and when you open out. From what I've read Covid only stays on surfaces for maybe a few days (but I'm not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV). I just bought a guitar from a fellow AGF member recently and the experience was great! Like everything else we do during these Covid times -- be smart, be safe, follow precautionary guidelines. Each of us needs to do what we feel safe and comfortable with. Cheers!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I've sold two guitars this year, locally through Craigslist. We'd meet in the parking lot of a public space, both wearing masks. I had the guitar in the back of my vehicle. Opened up the trunk, moved away and let them inspect the guitar. I had previously wiped the guitar down and let it sit for a couple weeks untouched in its case. The sale worked out fine in both cases. If they hadn't wanted the guitar I would have taken it home and wiped it down. Really shouldn't be an issue if both parties take the appropriate cautions.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

My wife has been reading a lot about how and where you can become exposed to the virus. Selling a guitar in a parking lot is so far down the list that it isn't even mentioned. Bars, indoors restaurants, and gyms seem to always be at the top of the lists.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-28-2020, 12:02 PM

I've sold two with zero issues. One guy wore a mask and one didn't. I'm fine either way.

scott
Old 11-28-2020, 01:21 PM

I've bought two guitars and an ukulele. One of those guitars came from FB and it was an overseas purchase.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 11-28-2020, 05:44 PM

I've been to Guitar center and multiple other guitar stores. I handled and played the guitars and even brought a couple home. I have another coming via FedEx tomorrow from CA.

It is a respiratory illness not a wood (surface)-borne illness. I wore a mask and used hand sanitizer before and after my store visits, and washed my hands when I got home. As for the guitars the strings were changed and the bodies polished, as I would in pre-pandemic times.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:50 PM

I visited my luthier a couple of weeks ago and they had a hand wash station installed in the entrance area with requirement that everybody wash their hands. I was not looking to buy a guitar but had sales guy demo one for me. In a similar way for private sale just bring some hand sanitizer along and ask potential buyer to use that before he touches the guitar.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I sold one guitar during the pandemic. Normally, I would not invite a buyer to my home, especially now. But I actually found the buyer online and was able to confirm we had a mutual contact (co-worker went to church with the family). So, rather than meeting at a public place, they came over and played in my LR. The guitar was on a stand, and I set up a chair that was physically distanced, so the buyer had space to try it out. It was a father and son, and they both wore masks the entire time, and so did I.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion