The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 09:36 PM

Default Questions About D18 Binding

I have a D18 I bought new in 2014. In 2017 the binding pulled away from the body. Martin covered the repair at a local reputable shop. This repair took almost a month.

Tonight, I get the guitar out, after not playing for little while and once again the binding has separated from the body. I would think Martin will cover the repair but, it will probably take longer than a month this time (from the effects of COVID.)

I maintain the humidity so, I do not think that is the problem.

I have several thoughts and questions going through my mind.

Since, this is a reoccurring problem does this devalue the guitar?

Will it keep occurring, is there a permanent solution?

Should I sell it and get something else without the problem?

Should I contact Martin, will they do anything about a problematic guitar?

I read this forum often and I know there are some really knowledgeable people on here, what are your thoughts about this situation?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Mitch

2014 Martin D18
Old 11-26-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchl33 View Post

1Since, this is a reoccurring problem does this devalue the guitar?

2Will it keep occurring, is there a permanent solution?

3Should I sell it and get something else without the problem?

4Should I contact Martin, will they do anything about a problematic guitar?

I read this forum often and I know there are some really knowledgeable people on here, what are your thoughts about this situation?

Mitch
1. only if you do not fix or it is poorly fixed
2. Could keep occurring...prob not
3. Up to you and your love of its noise and/or tolerance of the problem
4. They will fix under warranty in all likelihood. Beyond that you are barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited by Scotso; 11-26-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:22 PM

From about 2013 - 2015 Martin used a glue that has proven not to stick long term. I and *many* others have had this issue ( mine is a 2014). They should cover it under warranty assuming the guitar is registered to you.

A good repair person will typically heat and stretch the binding a bit and reglue it. Not a difficult fix, but repairs always take a lot longer than we like!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 11-27-2020, 06:30 AM

The binding came loose at the waist on the back of my 2013 Martin 000-28EC a couple of years ago. This happened to the treble and bass sides at the same time. Martin covered it under warranty but the guitar was at the local shop for a month for the repair. The luthier at the local shop spoke to me of the pros and cons of different glues and techniques and explained how he proposed performing the work. I can't remember how he finally said he would perform the work but the binding is still in place today.

In 2016 the guitar spent a number of months, under warranty, having the top refinished at Martin because of long finish cracks radiating from the corners of the bridge. In the refinish the top binding was replaced. The binding is still in place on the top.

Not a good track record in my book.

On the the other hand, I have a 2005 Martin HD-28 living the same life as my 000-28EC that has never had any problems. Whatever process improvements were introduced in the manufacturing process by Martin between 2005 and 2013 were not improvements in my opinion.

Yes, I think the resale value of my 000-28EC has gone down because of the work that has been done. If the binding comes loose again I will have the binding removed and replaced vs repairing the existing binding.

Good luck with yours.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:41 AM

I thought Gibson was the one with chronic QC issues.
Sorry, just had to say it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-27-2020, 07:22 AM

My 1998 Martin D-28 had the same problem. I had it repaired and then sold it.
Oh yes, I also had to have the bridge removed and reattached due to lifting. I loved the sound of it, but got tired of having it in the repair shop.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:41 AM

If you happen to opt out of the D18 and look for a different mahogany dread, I would recommend looking at the Larrive D-40 Legacy, and the Guild D-40 Traditional.
If I were you and you like the guitar, I would get it repaired again and then when it stops happening, sell it and get one from a different era.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchl33 View Post
I have a D18 I bought new in 2014. In 2017 the binding pulled away from the body. Martin covered the repair at a local reputable shop. This repair took almost a month.

Tonight, I get the guitar out, after not playing for little while and once again the binding has separated from the body. I would think Martin will cover the repair but, it will probably take longer than a month this time (from the effects of COVID.)

I maintain the humidity so, I do not think that is the problem.

I have several thoughts and questions going through my mind.

Since, this is a reoccurring problem does this devalue the guitar?

Will it keep occurring, is there a permanent solution?

Should I sell it and get something else without the problem?

Should I contact Martin, will they do anything about a problematic guitar?

Mitch
Mitch, you say that you maintain the humidity, do you own a hygrometer? Wood does expand and contract with humidity. I like to keep the RH between 40 and 60.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

A few years ago I purchased (on line) a Martin 000-18 custom shop GE. Upon inspection I noticed the binding had started to separate from the body in several places. I contacted the well respected dealer, who was very apologetic, to say the least, and immediately returned it.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 11-27-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2014 000-18 and the binding is perfect - never had a problem with it. Maybe I should sell it before it it happens?
Old 11-27-2020, 02:01 PM

Martin has had binding issues for many years. I once had their service manager tell me that the gap I had on my OOO-28VS ivoroid wedge where the strap button is located was "within spec" even though the gap was wide enough to insert a playing card. That was my last Martin. Their current repair time I read recently was 2 years. Good luck!

Last edited by hifivic; 11-27-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
If I were you and you like the guitar, I would get it repaired again and then when it stops happening, sell it and get one from a different era.
Why sell it if he likes it? There’s no guarantee that another guitar won’t have its own issues, perhaps even the same issue as the guitar in question. There’s a saying, “Out of the frying-pan, into the fire”!

If it were mine and I liked it, I’d get it repaired and keep it.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 11-27-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
Mitch, you say that you maintain the humidity, do you own a hygrometer? Wood does expand and contract with humidity. I like to keep the RH between 40 and 60.
dcmey, I do own two pretty accurate hygrometers. One for the room and one is kept in the case. I try to maintain 40% or higher. We haven’t had much of a heating season yet, humidity is running 46% currently.

Thanks for you question and comment.

2014 Martin D18
Old 11-27-2020, 07:22 PM

I have a 2015 000-18 with a slight case of the binding lifting at the waist, and I'm taking it to a certified shop in the area the first of the month to be done under warranty..

The luthier there tells me he's done a few of these and he's confident I'll be happy with the repair...

I've asked and been told to expect a 1 to 3 week time frame...
Old 11-27-2020, 07:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies, comments and info. It’s nice to have a forum to ask questions and get input from everyone.

I really like the sound of my D18 and I will take it to an authorized Martin shop and get it repaired. Still debating the next step, no reason to rush, keep it or sell it.

2014 Martin D18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion