The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Honestly, I really hate doing business this way and will avoid it whenever I possibly can. I may miss out on some good deals as a result, but that's OK with me. Tell me the real price straight out, and I'll decide if I want to pay it. I have no interest in haggling or calling to get the super secret special deal. If the reason is that the guitar maker puts restrictions on the retailer that prevent them from putting the real price in black and white, then that's a company I don't want to patronize, no matter how good their instruments are. Life's too short.
So if there are discounts in place for forum members, but they can't be advertised openly due to MAP pricing policies, you're going to hold that against the vendors? That makes no sense.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
So if there are discounts in place for forum members, but they can't be advertised openly due to MAP pricing policies, you're going to hold that against the vendors? That makes no sense.
I'm not holding it against the vendors. They have to play by the manufacturer's rules. I'm just saying that as a consumer, I think this sucks, and I feel motivated to vote against it with my wallet. Do all guitar makers put these constraints on dealers? If so, then I guess it's either deal with it or buy used. If not, then I would want to give preference to makers that allow retailers to be open about pricing.

EDIT: To clarify, when I said "that's a company I don't want to patronize" in the earlier post, I meant the manufacturer, not the retailer.

Last edited by nightchef; 11-12-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not holding it against the vendors. They have to play by the manufacturer's rules. I'm just saying that as a consumer, I think this sucks, and I feel motivated to vote against it with my wallet. Do all guitar makers put these constraints on dealers? If so, then I guess it's either deal with it or buy used. If not, then I would want to give preference to makers that allow retailers to be open about pricing.

EDIT: To clarify, when I said "that's a company I don't want to patronize" in the earlier post, I meant the manufacturer, not the retailer.
I get what you're saying now. But it's still fairly common practice for manufacturers to implement MAP pricing policies across various industries. It's the same way with bicycles, firearms, etc. It stops bidding wars from occurring between vendors who want to undercut one another, and maintains value of their products on both the new and used markets.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying now. But it's still fairly common practice for manufacturers to implement MAP pricing policies across various industries. It's the same way with bicycles, firearms, etc. It stops bidding wars from occurring between vendors who want to undercut one another, and maintains value of their products on both the new and used markets.
OK. I guess the world I wish I lived in is not coming anytime soon.

I'm this guy:

And this guy:

I hate haggling, but everyone's at it
Old 11-28-2020, 01:41 PM

Figured I might as well update this thread....

I’ve upped my budget limit to $3K. This may be the last time I spend serious coin on an acoustic guitar, so I should not be in penny-pinching mode, within reason. So now the no-frills standard Martins, the Guild D-40 Traditional, and the J-45 are in play, though I’d still rather keep it under $2K if I can.

I’ve also now played two different J-15s and a Yamaha Red Label (FG3, the Chinese no-electronics version). Hard no on the J-15. I don’t think I’ve ever taken such a strong dislike to a reasonably high-end guitar. The best way I can describe my reaction to it is that playing it feels like eating the shell of a nut rather than the meat. It’s hard and dry and it doesn’t agree with me.

I liked the FG3 a lot. Perfect neck for my hands (action a tiny bit high above the 9th fret, but it looked like there was some excess relief in the neck, so nothing a good setup couldn’t fix). Lovely warm, balanced, lively tone. And it looks great in an understated, guitar-next-door way, with the semi-gloss finish and simple trim. No makeup or jewelry, just natural classic good looks.

There were a couple of asterisks on the FG3, though: first, the bottom end, while certainly far from thin, is maybe a shade less big than I’m looking for. If this was going to be my only guitar, that would be less of a concern—it’s a perfect all-rounder—but since I’m looking for a dread specifically to complement an OM, I’d ideally like a guitar that brings a bit more booty. If I do go this route I’d probably hold out for an FGX5.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The MD60BG / MD60EBG, as mentioned, is freakin' outstanding. If you handed me that guitar blindfolded, I wouldn't think twice if you told me it cost $4k.
Exactly my experience as well. If I hadn't seen it and played it and was told it was some new luthier on the block's take on a sitka/mahogany dread I would be impressed.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:02 PM

Can't currently speak for any of the guitars listed...but just purchased the yamaha A5R today to take advantage of blackfriday 15% off at musicians friend. Hoping that the reviews of the A5R that claim that it out performs dreads twice the price prove to be true. This will be my last purchase (I swear!!) In in the mid-price range before I give up and start saving for the 3K+ range.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:20 PM

IMHO Larrivee every day
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 12-03-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I think part of this attitude of mine stems from being an introvert--like many of my fellow introverts, I find the telephone a particularly stressful way of communicating, especially when I'm talking with a stranger and even more so when I'm asking them for something. I love e-commerce for this reason.

The other thing I don't like about "call for the best price" (especially when it's not advertised as such) is this: if I go on the Maury's site right now, I can put a new D-18 in my shopping cart for $2,499. I assume if I check out, I would wind up with a brand new $2,499-plus-tax charge on my credit card. What happens then? Does somebody from Maury's contact me and say "hey, you really didn't have to pay that much, we'll credit you for the difference"? Or am I just the sucker who didn't know the drill?
Maury's deals via email. No need to haggle, just an email asking for a price quote on a specific model. It's that easy. No back and forth, no phone calls.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:42 PM

So, what exactly makes the D50 moribund? Is it possible a good luthier could revive it? Might cost a lot less than replacing it.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:57 AM

Quote:
So now the no-frills standard Martins, the Guild D-40 Traditional, and the J-45 are in play
I had a nice J15 for a year and swapped it out for a J45 50's which had all the 'meat' you mentioned that the J15 was missing. I picked up a Takamine P5DC because I had trouble getting the J45 to sound good amplified (it had adjustable bridge) and it made me realize just how much I prefer the sparkle and spank of a full scale rosewood guitar. Eventually sold the J45. I just picked up an OM21 and am liking it very much (my shoulder more so) which confirms my bias.

Out of your list, I'd pick a D28 or HD-28v with the slimmer mod v neck.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:16 AM

Oh... well since you upped the ante, and it’s your last big acoustic expenditure
for a lifetime dread, the D-28 would be my choice for sure. Period.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion