The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

D18 all the way for me. That’s a lifetime guitar with beautiful tone.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 11-10-2020, 10:11 AM

To nightchef, Go read the reviews on the Yamaha FGX5 at musicians friend. Everyone of them is spot on. I have had my FSX3 now for a few weeks and it is a great sounding guitar, its definitely a keeper. What they say about the pick up system is true. I think it is even better than a lot of the after market pick ups. I wish you could play a Martin D-18 and the Yamaha side by side to see what you think. I played mine against a 000-18 and I really liked the Yamaha better. But you know how it is, sound is subjective. I've never really been one who cares about what name is on the head stock of the guitar. The sound is all that matters to me. But the sound that others are looking for will not always be what you like. So good luck.

Last edited by baw3; 11-10-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:28 AM

I would narrow that list down easily to choice between Guild and Larrivee. All Larrivees I played so far or heard friends play were just great. On the other hand I love Guilds as well. Though with the D40 there are various flavours that also affect price, and a new Traditional version might be out of your price range.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback everybody! What I'm getting so far is:

1. The favorite choice is Larrivee. And also Yamaha. And Eastman. And maybe even Guild.

2. Nobody seems to have anything to say for that Martin GC special, which supports my funny-smell reflex about it.

3. I appreciate the D18 suggestion, but in spite of frequently reading here that they can be had under $2K used, I've never seen one in that range that didn't have serious issues of some sort. Used D18s in good shape seem to pretty consistently fall in the $2200-$2400 range, which is not where I'm shopping.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkersey View Post
I would look at the Taylor AD27. It’s essentially a slope shouldered dred. It’s solid mahogany so it’s a bit more rich and mellow than Taylors often are. The AD17 has the tone woods you’re looking for so it’s worth checking out as well.
Thanks! After checking out the demo videos I could find for these guitars, the sense I'm getting is that while they may be more "rich and mellow" than a typical Taylor, they're still more like a Taylor than anything else. The samples I'm hearing have that overpowering Taylor top end. It's quality top end, but it's just a bit too much for me.

OTOH, I love the look of these. Distinctive yet traditional.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Thanks for the feedback everybody! What I'm getting so far is:

1. The favorite choice is Larrivee. And also Yamaha. And Eastman. And maybe even Guild.

2. Nobody seems to have anything to say for that Martin GC special, which supports my funny-smell reflex about it.

3. I appreciate the D18 suggestion, but in spite of frequently reading here that they can be had under $2K used, I've never seen one in that range that didn't have serious issues of some sort. Used D18s in good shape seem to pretty consistently fall in the $2200-$2400 range, which is not where I'm shopping.
For me Martins start at the Standard Series (18 series+). Personally I think there are better guitars than Martin’s lower line for the same or less $$. There are other folks with similar opinions.

As far as D18 pricing, inventory has been low as of late, that’s some of the reason for higher pricing.

Best bet is to call the Martin dealers and ask for best price. Especially the site sponsors that sell Martins on this forum. After doing the ground work, if you fail to find a new D-18 for under 1900, I would be really surprised.

Also, while used, if you search eBag right now (Martin D-18). You will see a 2020 D-18 for $1900 shipped.

Good luck in your search
Old 11-10-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
For me Martins start at the Standard Series (18 series+).
Ha, I am the same way! I always forget they make anything else.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Are you in the US? New D18's, not used, are normally under $2000.00, shipped to your door. Call Maury's or LA Guitar Sales. You must call them, not check their website or email them.

I would not pay more than $1500 for a used standard D18, unless it was tonally a monster, head and shoulders above other standard D18's. People list them for that because they paid more for them than they would have if they had contacted the shops mentioned above.

Here is a used Larrivee from a forum sponsor, complete with a well recorded demo video.

https://organicsoundsguitars.com/col...rrivee-d40r-rw

Last edited by loco gringo; 11-10-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Are you in the US? New D18's, not used, are normally under $2000.00, shipped to your door. Call Maury's or LA Guitar Sales. You must call them, not check their website or email them.
Honestly, I really hate doing business this way and will avoid it whenever I possibly can. I may miss out on some good deals as a result, but that's OK with me. Tell me the real price straight out, and I'll decide if I want to pay it. I have no interest in haggling or calling to get the super secret special deal. If the reason is that the guitar maker puts restrictions on the retailer that prevent them from putting the real price in black and white, then that's a company I don't want to patronize, no matter how good their instruments are. Life's too short.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I haven't purchased a Martin in some time but it was no more than asking for the dealers best price on a particular model. No secret handshake or anything else. Just a simple straightforward question. And because I haven't purchased recently I'm not sure what the standard discount might be during this time of demand out pacing supply?
It used to be a Martin was priced at MSRP and the AD could only advertise at "minimum advertised price" (MAP) but many forum sponsors had the ability and would discount 40% off of the MSRP leading to some very nice discounts on many Martin's.
I get the whole "give me the real price right up front" and I think Martin may have become more that way as of late, but that's the way it used to be. I've been through a lot of Martin guitars and I rarely paid more (especially when Jon was still in business) than 60% of MSRP. It may be very different now...I don't know? Best of luck to you whatever you decide...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I haven't purchased a Martin in some time but it was no more than asking for the dealers best price on a particular model. No secret handshake or anything else. Just a simple straightforward question. And because I haven't purchased recently I'm not sure what the standard discount might be during this time of demand out pacing supply?
It used to be a Martin was priced at MSRP and the AD could only advertise at "minimum advertised price" (MAP) but many forum sponsors had the ability and would discount 40% off of the MSRP leading to some very nice discounts on many Martin's.
I get the whole "give me the real price right up front" and I think Martin may have become more that way as of late, but that's the way it used to be. I've been through a lot of Martin guitars and I rarely paid more (especially when Jon was still in business) than 60% of MSRP. It may be very different now...I don't know? Best of luck to you whatever you decide...
Thanks!

I think part of this attitude of mine stems from being an introvert--like many of my fellow introverts, I find the telephone a particularly stressful way of communicating, especially when I'm talking with a stranger and even more so when I'm asking them for something. I love e-commerce for this reason.

The other thing I don't like about "call for the best price" (especially when it's not advertised as such) is this: if I go on the Maury's site right now, I can put a new D-18 in my shopping cart for $2,499. I assume if I check out, I would wind up with a brand new $2,499-plus-tax charge on my credit card. What happens then? Does somebody from Maury's contact me and say "hey, you really didn't have to pay that much, we'll credit you for the difference"? Or am I just the sucker who didn't know the drill?
Old 11-11-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

I think part of this attitude of mine stems from being an introvert--like many of my fellow introverts, I find the telephone a particularly stressful way of communicating, especially when I'm talking with a stranger and even more so when I'm asking them for something. I love e-commerce for this reason.

The other thing I don't like about "call for the best price" (especially when it's not advertised as such) is this: if I go on the Maury's site right now, I can put a new D-18 in my shopping cart for $2,499. I assume if I check out, I would wind up with a brand new $2,499-plus-tax charge on my credit card. What happens then? Does somebody from Maury's contact me and say "hey, you really didn't have to pay that much, we'll credit you for the difference"? Or am I just the sucker who didn't know the drill?

I agree that it’s kind of a pain in the butt, but I like to think of it as a way to support smaller businesses. This is how they can compete with the Guitar Centers, etc, of the world and still keep their Martin dealer status. Also, hey, if that phone call saves you $600 or so, plus gets you a great guitar...
Old 11-11-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I've only purchased accessories (several K&K Mini pickups) from Maury and with those items the price IS the price. I have not been charged tax as an out of state customer although more and more the sales tax issue is being required. I doubt anyone there would contact you on the back side of the sale an offer a rebate based on the difference between MAP and the 60% off of MSRP sales price that most forum Martin AD's used to offer. For what it's worth, I'm not into haggling price either. But if I can save additional dollars I will call and ask. Instead of $2499 (which I assume is MAP of a D-18 Standard?) you'd be looking at $1890. That's a substantial savings...but you have to do what you're comfortable with. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-11-2020, 11:09 AM

Be happy in the U.S. if you can get a new D18 for $1900. Here in Canada, all prices are fixed across the country to the same amount and no haggling. A new D18 here is $3499.00. Even with the exchange rate and import taxes, duty, that still does not add up. No wonder the used market is inflated as it is.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Ditto - break these in right and they're a match for anything anywhere near the price; I'd also take a good hard look at the Gibson J-15 toward the upper end...
Thanks for this tip -- I've done some investigating and the J15 has indeed been added to my shortlist. There's even one in the neighborhood that I might investigate this weekend.

One thing I like about the J15 is the 12" fretboard radius; I just checked and it looks like aside from my nylon-string, every guitar I've ever owned has had a radius of 12" or less, so I might be more comfortable sticking in this range. (This would also be a plus for the Eastman and Guild from my original list.) I imagine I'd get used to a flatter fretboard, but comfort is good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion